IGNORED

O'Meara's Swing v. Tiger's

Carland
Note: This thread is 5098 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

ya i didn't really mention it, but i teach different hip turn methods depending on players swing. most one planers i work with i try to get them to move away from too much lateral movement to the left or bump as some call it. lateral movement is necessary but it can be easily overdone. one two planers more like tigers old swing i like aggresive weight shit which usually means more of a hard lateral move or bump. like hogan (one planer) said, swivel the hips like your turning in a barrel.

Yeah, I don't get the difference in the hip shift you recommend for a steep backswing versus a flat backswing. Hogan was flat, but didn't he have an aggressive weight shift before he rotated his hips?

well ask anyone whos studied hogan and theyll tell you hes probably one of the handsiest great ball strikers ever. tiger and a lot of modern players try not to be as handsy and to generate power with the body. now remember when i said tiger would get stuck and have to use his hands to hit the ball straight. well hogan could do this EVERY SINGLE time. compare hogan to trevor immelman (people say he swings just like hogan, dont see it) immelman is also pretty one plane and his swing is all about shoulder turn. if he used hogans hip shift and couldnt manipulate the hands the way hogan did he probably wouldnt have a green jacket

like i said these are just my feelings and methods. i dont believe the way you turn your hips is a golf fundamental. ive seen plenty of players do all kinds of different turns and slides with all kinds of swing planes, like hogan and immelman. but i DO believe the timing of the turn with the upper body action is hugely important and CAN be plane dependent. and different speeds and types of hip shifts can affect that timing tremendously. hence original post

well ask anyone whos studied hogan and theyll tell you hes probably one of the handsiest great ball strikers ever.

No he wasn't. You saying it and making up that "anyone who has studied Hogan" would agree with you doesn't make it so.

well hogan could do this EVERY SINGLE time.

No. Hogan didn't get stuck and Hogan didn't need to save EVERY SINGLE shot.

Lay off the drugs, pal.

"The expert golfer has maximum time to make minimal compensations. The poorer player has minimal time to make maximum compensations." - And no, I'm not Mac. Please do not PM me about it. I just think he is a crazy MFer and we could all use a little more crazy sometimes.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Here's one teaching pro's take on Tiger's problem with Haney's method:

How is it possible that the most intelligent, talented athlete to ever play the game hasn't been able to get the driver under control? He's still struggling because "being stuck" isn't his problem. Woods has always been a player who likes and needs to release the club through impact. While some players try to keep the club, arms and body working together as they make contact, Tiger's natural instinct is to aggressively let go and extend the club past his body to the target. The way Hank Haney has him swinging the club, however, he can't let go through impact, which leads to misses in both directions. When he tries to get "unstuck," he is prone to two mistakes. First, the club gets too far out in front of his body, so when he releases normally he hits an enormous pull like he did on the first hole at the Masters on Sunday. The other miss happens when the club is excessively steep coming down: his body gets too far out in front of the club, and he blows it way right like he did on No. 11. He's trying to fix his bad shot by getting the club out in front of him, which is the reason for the bad shot . . . For Woods to dominate professional golf like he should, he needs to let the club get behind him earlier in the downswing so he can release it fully through impact. A shallower angle of attack would get the clubface slightly more open, facilitate a more inside attack and allow him to let go again through impact.

http://www.golf.com/golf/instruction...982572,00.html

Note: This thread is 5098 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!