IGNORED

Starting swing with right shoulder!

Lee_S
Note: This thread is 6435 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I start my backswing by rotating my right shoulder around my spine. I find that it takes me away on the correctly, stops swaying and also puts me on the correct swing play.

I was just wondering if anybody else use's this method, what your opinions of this method are and if there are any advantages/disadvantages that i should no about with this method?

Thanks

I used to do it that way, but I found that when I was even a little tense I tended to get laid off. I do occasionaly make a point to check to make sure my back shoulder is relaxed. If I am doing the club cover under left armpit drill and keep back shoulder relaxed it turns out of the way without effort.

1W Cleveland LauncherComp 10.5, 3W Touredge Exotics 15 deg.,FY Wilson 19.5 degree
4 and 5H, 6I-GW Callaway Razr, SW, LW Cleveland Cg-14, Putter Taylor Made Suzuka, Ball, Srixon XV Yellow

It's a good method to get your weight set on your right foot without swaying back. For me, it tends to make me bring the club back on the inside, but it's still a good swing thought.

For a note on relaxing... if you grip the club like you're holding an egg (firm enough to hang on to it, but soft enough as not to "crack" it) that relaxation in your hands can spread to the rest of your body.

maybe on your backswing (you could keep your right shoulder first swing thought) think about reaching straight back as far as you can...getting the clubhead far from your body...this can decrease your tendency to break your wrists too much as well as increase your swing arc (more arc=more power)

to relax...you can also try a bit of a waggle at address, sometimes that can loosen you up

I was told today that at address I should point my left elbow in and my right elbow out. I tried this and I found it helps to get me right elbow closer to my body in my backswing should i carry on doing this and is this correct?

Thanks

I was told today that at address I should point my left elbow in and my right elbow out. I tried this and I found it helps to get me right elbow closer to my body in my backswing should i carry on doing this and is this correct?

I think this advice could be right for you, but I feel that this position varies somewhat from person to person. If you grip the club correctly, with your hands matched up then there is a limit depending on how strong or weak your grip is. With a strong grip the left elbow is less in, with a weak grip the right elbow is less out. I also think exaggerating this to much or to the point it increases tension could cause elbow or wrist discomfort. If you hold your arms out in front of you and place your palms together that is the correct position for you. Then you can adjust to accomodate for a weak or strong grip as long as your right elbow bends on the backswing and the left on the follow through. This varies from person to person. If you observe other people with their arms hanging straight down, relaxed, their elbow, hand and palm position varies. I suggest you to experiment within a range until you find the position that works for you.

1W Cleveland LauncherComp 10.5, 3W Touredge Exotics 15 deg.,FY Wilson 19.5 degree
4 and 5H, 6I-GW Callaway Razr, SW, LW Cleveland Cg-14, Putter Taylor Made Suzuka, Ball, Srixon XV Yellow

If I accent my hip or shoulder turn at first I get the club inside. I like to take the clubhead back on line. The right shoulder turn thought is good to help complete the shoulder turn which will help keep the right arm close in as opposed to flying from an incomplete shoulder turn.

Note: This thread is 6435 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!