IGNORED

My first weird shopping experience and some questions

Note: This thread is 5079 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

http://www.ralphmaltby.com/system/as...MPF_Update.pdf

This has a simplistic rating system on the playability of different irons, that will help illustrate the points other posters are making.

The lower the rating (MPR) the more difficult the club to play.

For example the MP-68:
MP-68 Forged #6 2010 MPR 342 Category Classic

While the AP1 and AP2:
AP1 710 #6 2010 MPR 838 Category Super Game Improvement
AP2 710 Forged #6 2010 MPR 548 Category Conventional

You should be looking primarily in the Game Improvement, Super Game Improvement or Ultra Game improvement categories.

A) You need to hit alot of different clubs.
B) Whatever works for you.
C) It's the indian, not the arrow.
D) A 5 wood, 19* hybrid or a lob wedge.

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

In this case it wasn't the manu that was telling him his club would be outdated. You stated such as a fact.

Did I state a fact that any irons would be obsolete? I used the qualifying words "the more likely . . . " which are hardly absolutes.

Mizuno MP600 driver, Cleveland '09 Launcher 3-wood, Callaway FTiz 18 degree hybrid, Cleveland TA1 3-9, Scratch SS8620 47, 53, 58, Cleveland Classic 2 mid-mallet, Bridgestone B330S, Sun Mountain four5.

I'm sensing some potential language issues, so bear with me. For thoughts on iron selection also check out other golf forums, but beware of people with an agenda. For every person that tells you MP-68s are not for you, there will be another telling you that you'll grow into them.

Sorry, English is not my first language and I typed my last reply in toliet, so I ignored most of the gramma.

Thanks sean, that is really fair comment and useful suggestion. That's why when the salesperson told me not to go for MP, I insisted that I want a MP. But, it is also forunate to know before I buy that the MP68 has very low forgiveness. Got one more question, what is lie and loft? I tried google but hardly find easy to understand info. Do we have a thread of basic golf terminology for beginners?

finding my lifelong sportssss

I agree to a certain point. I'm not a big fan of irons with all kinds of different colored parts glued and welded to it.

Same here, that's why i hate the look of AP1.

Understandable. I'm personally not a fan of the AP1/AP2 look either but they are some of the best irons on the market right now.

It doesn't look like money is much of an issue, but if you are looking to save some money, I suggest looking at some used irons that stil have a classic look but may be a bit more forgiving.

DST Tour 9.5 Diamana Whiteboard
909F3 15* 3 FW stock Aldila Voodoo
909F3 18* 5 FW stock Aldila Voodoo
'09 X-Forged 3-PW Project-X 6.0 Flighted
CG15 56* X-Tour 60* Abaco

Did I state a fact that any irons would be obsolete? I used the qualifying words "the more likely . . . " which are hardly absolutes.

Close enough.

I guess it is a good thing you can only see the back of the clubs when they are in your bag!

Close enough.

I said what I meant.

Mizuno MP600 driver, Cleveland '09 Launcher 3-wood, Callaway FTiz 18 degree hybrid, Cleveland TA1 3-9, Scratch SS8620 47, 53, 58, Cleveland Classic 2 mid-mallet, Bridgestone B330S, Sun Mountain four5.

OP,

thanks. but a friend of mine told me to limit the time of reading and researching - just got to hit the ball! and I think it is a fair suggestion. I am getting a bit confused by so many brands.

As long as many ppl give positive comment on Mizuno irons and they smile to me when I see them, then i will simply go for it if within my budget. But I will really avoid MB68. Will go for 52/58 or the MX 300. But I have some concern on the the perimeter weight on the MX lines...

Can you expand on your "more than likely"? You must be bringing in the "clone" discussion into this one.

When you can you quote my actual words, I'll expand on them.

I guess it is a good thing you can only see the back of the clubs when they are in your bag!

maybe time to invest some nice cover for the iron he : )ad

thanks. but a friend of mine told me to limit the time of reading and researching - just got to hit the ball! and I think it is a fair suggestion. I am getting a bit confused by so many brands.

You could be missing out if you don't try out all the brands at the golf shop. Callaway, Taylormade, Ping, Wilson Staff, Bridgestone, etc are all just as good as the Mizunos and Titleists. You don't just buy size 12 shoes because someone tells you they are good when you actually fit better in an 11.5.

The more badges and "sh**" glued/welded on the back, the more likely you'll have a dated POS in 5 years.

Can you expand on your "more likely"?

Would you care to elaborate on "more likely"?

Consider 2 irons from Titleist or Mizuno. One is a muscleback with clean lines - very fung shui - like the 710 MB or CB and the other is a little more dressed up, like a 1st or 2nd generation 710-AP1. Which iron is more likely to be still as sought after 5 or 10 years from now as it is todya? Of course people will still want the AP2s - but not as many, relatively speaking, as do today.

Consider blades and blade type irons from Mizuno over the past 20 years (Mizuno and Titleist being the irons the OP was considering). Do you see many of Mizuno's earilier GI irons in people's sigs? Maybe the odd T-Zoid, but even then it's typically tour version. There are sure a lot of older MPs in play though. Any iron is obsolete or a timeless classic (e.g. Tommy Armour 845 and PING Eye 2) on it's own merit, but given the life cycle of GI and SGI irons, and comparing two similar irons from the same manufacturer , the one with the more garish decals, badging and colour scheme will "more likely" become obsolete than the more simple "classic" iron. Not all irons - just a comparison of 2 similar but different irons from the same brand.

Note: This thread is 5079 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!