IGNORED

Help with hitting from the rough...

Norm66
Note: This thread is 6400 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

puh-leaze!

On the ever increasing list of "things I need to improve" a new one has crawled to the top. I can't hit very well from the high grass. I know that's golf's way of teaching you to keep it on the fairway, but let's face it, I'm going to hit it into the rough so any tips for getting back out are gratefully accepted.

I've tried using my wedge, 7-iron, 4-hybrid and always seem to top them or hit them off the end of the club face forcing a low, shot to the right. It's almost like I'm afraid to take a divot or something and keep hitting poorly.

As a beginner, should I abandon trying to advance the ball in favor of a more reliable shot just getting it back out to the fairway?

I know..becuase ive mastred from the rough since im scottish and dont go to course alot im used to the rough and not from the fairways.

If you have a local park ( which is usually empty) and grass isnt cut down like fairway practise there..then when you play on a course it dosnt care if it goes into the rough..and when your in the fairway..its like hitting perfecto hope that halped

Sounds like your trying to hit the great shot from the rough everytime, be real how far you can advance the ball from the rough and aim back into the fairway. watch the pro's when thay get in deep they aim for the best route back into the fairway. It's not suppose to be easy from the rough. one good shot back in the fairway is better than three more from the rough. play smart and to your ability.

R7 9.5 S Shaft
560 R7 quad R shaft
RAC LT irons
Scotty Cameron Pro Platinum

You may need to make a steeper angle of descent down to the ball from the rough. Alot of folks who can't seem to get any distance from longer grass have that problem because their angle of attack is so shallow that the club starts hitting the tops of the grass 8-10 inches behind the ball.

Move the ball back in your stance, and make a very descending blow - that'll keep your clubhead above the grass till closer to impact.

Bret Schlyer
===========
Driver: 2009 Burner TP
3 wood: Ti Bubble
5 wood: Macgregor MacTec NGV

Hybrid: Nickent 3DX RC  3

Irons: Hireko XF Pro

SW/LW: Cleveland 588

Putter: Ping Anser

I've tried using my wedge, 7-iron, 4-hybrid and always seem to top them or hit them off the end of the club face forcing a low, shot to the right. It's almost like I'm afraid to take a divot or something and keep hitting poorly.

Schlyer's got a good point about the steeper angle of attack, but the other thing you have to remember about any shot from the rough is that no two are alike....well, it's not quite that bad, but it's close.

Some grass is thicker than others. Sometimes it is growing toward you. Sometimes it is growing in the direction of your shot. Sometimes your lie is deep in it. Somtimes you find the ball setting up. Such a variety of conditions require slightly different techniques and tend to produce varying results. This is one of those things that just requires some experience that you don't have yet. Give yourself a break and stay patient. You'll get there.
A Mixed Bag

Driver 320Ti, 10.5 R, stock graphite
Ovation 3W, Aldila 65R graphite
Dunlop DDH 5W Edge CFT Hybrid 3-iron, #3 graphite CFT irons 4 - E wedge, #3 graphite Apex Edge F wedge 60 degree LW Bobby Grace M5K putter Laddie X A3

Thanks folks. I think the steeper angle of attack is what I was looking for. I did much better this weekend from high grass. I also was trying to do too much from the rough. I'm definitely better off getting it back to the fairway rather than trying to thread a needle getting a great shot out of high grass and through trees.

Note: This thread is 6400 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!