IGNORED

Ryder Cup Observations....

Madriver
Note: This thread is 6428 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

common trasherguy, at the end of the day it's only a game,

It's thrash not trash.

And it's ok to get a little upset at golf when things don't go the way I would like. I'm sure it won't last very long, but I was pretty upset after watching. As for being happy after the next one, that has yet to be determined. The Americans have A LOT of work to do first.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

In looking down road to next Ryder Cup.

I think Tom Lehman's method is the best to use. The top-10 U.S. players in each event would get points. His system had Stewart Cink and Scott Verplank in it, and they went a combined 3-1-3 I believe. That's the method I would use.

I wouldn't do too much more tweaking because we are going to come to the realization every time that the U.S. isn't very deep with great talent. It doesn't matter which method we use. :/

As for captain’s picks, that’s a separate issue.
My hypothetical point system rewarding top 5 finishes would be for the 10 who make the team on points .
As for talent level let’s look at the elite level players, mid-level players and bottom of the lineup.

Back 4
Without going through player by player, my feeling the level of talent is basically equal. My theory is what happens on the course is based on team momentum and match play unpredictability.

Elite
Woods is among the 3 greatest players ever to play golf (Nicklaus, Hogan). Great soloist doesn’t play well with others. Why he struggles in 4-ball is a mystery.

Mickleson is ultimate tease. He may finish with 7 major wins, which would tie him with Palmer. He won in his early Ryder Cup career, now he can’t. He has to earn 3 pts next time for US team to have any chance at all.

Garcia thrives under team format unlike Woods and he’s still young enough to have a better career than Mickleson. He has too much game not to eventually breakthrough and be a multiple major winner.

Montgomerie is Mr. Ryder Cup. His game as it fits the majors is kind of odd. Not long enough to contend at the Masters and PGA. Accurate enough to contend at US Open, but not a good enough putter to finish the deal. Why he hasn’t contended more at the British is a mystery. Maybe it’s the pressure of playing just for him in front of the home crowd?

Middle of the Order
Here’s the EUROS decisive advantage in Clarke, Harrington and Westwood. Throw in Donald too. One way to project if the 2008 US team can keep the matches close into Sunday singles is by looking at the form of the middle of the US order the year of the cup. It might look like this:

Love: He’s struggled at the Ryder Cup. But his length of the tee and talent means he should get himself back in contention at the Masters and PGA. It should also make him a 4-ball threat. He’s one of the few American players to have made a Cup clinching putt.

Furyk: His is a self-made game, putting and scrambling well, mentally tough. It is the type of game someone watching at home should aspire to at his or her own level. But he struggles in team matches as well. One would think his steadiness and tenacity would be ideal for Cup play but the results say otherwise.

Glover: Hope he improves his game over next 2 years so he can make the team on points. Long off the tee and a good ball striker. His issue is putting, but he could be a weapon in 4-ball. A singles match against Donald sound fabulous.

Toms: I don’t worry about him. He’s a good putter and iron player and manages his game well. Throw in his temperament and he could be the ultimate utility guy. In a EURO-esque way, he’s the 1 American who could playing with anyone else in the lineup and carry his share of the load.

So, hypothetical pairings would be Love/Glover and Furyk/Toms. Let Woods and Mickleson play with the rookies or bottom 4 of the line-up. Give them the responsibility of carrying the play like Ballesteros did in the early to mid 80s.

Again the EUROS would still win, but maybe shaking things up would make the matches competitive once again.

Tigers comments about our young players is interesting. The truth is that the rest of the world has probably caught up with us. With more opprotunities to play professionally around the world and make a good living, more good golfers are being developed everywhere. They all have access to modern resources. I do think an awful lot of our young players are excessively mechanical. The swing gurus ideas are great for most of us, but at the very top level the best tend to be a little unconventional. Practice on the course and play more, range and gym a little less would be my take.

1W Cleveland LauncherComp 10.5, 3W Touredge Exotics 15 deg.,FY Wilson 19.5 degree
4 and 5H, 6I-GW Callaway Razr, SW, LW Cleveland Cg-14, Putter Taylor Made Suzuka, Ball, Srixon XV Yellow

• Administrator
Odd moment on camera here:

My first thought was that Phil farted and Tiger's thinking "oh, god, frickin' Phil literally AND figuratively stunk up the joint!" Phil looks like he's saying "wasn't me, doo be doo..."

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

• Administrator
Tigers comments about our young players is interesting. The truth is that the rest of the world has probably caught up with us. With more opprotunities to play professionally around the world and make a good living, more good golfers are being developed everywhere. They all have access to modern resources. I do think an awful lot of our young players are excessively mechanical. The swing gurus ideas are great for most of us, but at the very top level the best tend to be a little unconventional. Practice on the course and play more, range and gym a little less would be my take.

A slight tangent to that is that very few of the European players are really even truly European. Paul Casey, Luke Donald, etc. all went to college here in the states, primarily play the PGA Tour, etc. The difference between "foreign" players and "American" players is slimmer than it's ever been.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Feedback to Mr. Thrasher:

EUROS dished out big can of whup to American's derrières.

Long putts & chip-ins all part of Ryder Cup magic. US team doesn't have to match all spectacular shots. They need to do more mundane things like: hit GIR, sink more 5 - 15 ft birdie putts and laser guide green light yardage approach shots (150, 130, 115 yards) to within 6 feet.

Nothing during President's Cup should be used as information toward Ryder Cup. Each tournament takes on its own personality. Go with “obvious” pairings on Day 1 morning session, mix and match all the way through end of the team competition. Pairings should be a reaction to what's happening on course.

Everybody plays first day. Pairs that win stay on the course. Pairs that lose or tie get broken up. Among losing pairings, take players who made birdies and combine them into new pairings.

Margins of victory this wide make what the captain does irrelevant. Recent winning EU captains had widely different styles and it didn’t hurt them. It's all about players executing their shots.

Camaraderie is nice, makes team room more pleasant. Wearing feelings on the sleeve by either team’s players isn't relevant either. Making birdies bring smiles, nothing else.

No more break even then win the singles matches stuff. Emphasis of US team should be urgency of winning team matches 9 - 7. Start Day 1 with morning alternate shot. Take winning pairings or players who made the most birdies and pair them for afternoon 4-ball.

Would be good for new blood to make the US team. However EUROS have been relying heavily on veterans like Clarke, Harrington and Westwood to win. US hope to have Love, Furyk, maybe Glover in form during 2008. If not, they’ll be overwhelmed again.

Note: This thread is 6428 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!