IGNORED

Golf related injuries?

acegolfer
Note: This thread is 3678 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Has anyone suffered injuries due to golf?

As I get older, I'm getting more worried about this issue. I heard that stretching can prevent these injuries. Is it true?

My Clubs
Driver - Nike SUMO 13* R flex
Wood - Cobra 5 wood 18* R flex
3-PW hybrids/irons - Mizuno MX-950 R flex
Wedge - Mizuno MX-950 51* Wedge - Cleveland CG14 56* 14*Putter - RifeBall - Taylormade TP LDP RED

Yeah, I am almost forty and have had a slew of injuries that are golf related... Foot, hands, neck... It only gets worse as you get older and there is almost nothing you can do to prevent it. I find myself to be in really good shape, I am a Marine, and regardless the injuries will come...

My left knee is getting pretty sore after playing a round of golf/range session.

I do rowing too so I don't know if it's rowing related or golf related.

My Clubs
Driver - LV4 10* R flex
Wood - sam snead persimmon 2 wood (for windy days)
Hybrid burner tour launch 20* stiff flex.
Irons - Tour Mode 3i,4i stiffIrons - FP's 5-PW R-flexWedge - spin milled 54.14Wedge - spin milled 60.07Putter - Victoria Lowest round 2010: 79 (par 70)Latest rounds at...

My left knee is getting pretty sore after playing a round of golf/range session.

I did this combo too for 1 1/2 years, but never had any issues with my knees, which really suprised me considering how much force you apply to your left knee (in golf).

I´m having trouble with my right shoulder from time to time if i overdo it in combination with hitting it bad. Same with wrists. 1-2 a year i throw out my back. But i have to say, if i hit it well over a period of time those issues are almost non-existent and it doesnt matter if i hit 100 or 400 balls a day for 5 days straight. If you compare pros to amateurs and the amount of balls these guys hit since a young age, they probably hit more balls when they are in their early twenties than most of us amateurs will in a lifetime. Sure they have issues, but it seems they come with later age, when all this stuff just piles up even more. So my point here is, proper technique with a general fitness level, and you might just do fine for a long time. Unfortunately, most amateurs have faulty moves in their swing that wreak havoc on those critical areas (neck/shoulders/wrists/knee) and injury you much quicker than with proper technique.

Burner 9°
FW Burner 15°
Burner Rescue 19°
MP67 4-PW
CG10 50° CG12 DSG 54° & 60°

• 3 years later...

Well I have my very first golf injury (and I'm not happy with the timing).

I was going to play yesterday with my wife and decided to hit a few balls in the yard before going to the course. On one of the shots I could feel my right elbow hyperextend after impact and it hurt a little (but not bad).

Didn't think much of it at the time and we ended up not playing (for other reasons). The elbow got worse and worse throughout the day and today what motion I have is very painful and straightening it out or bending it past 90* is out of the question.

Worst of all there's not a chance I can hit a golf ball until it gets better. I can figure out a way to play with most injuries, albeit maybe not as well, but no way with this one.

#Bummer. ;-)

@acegolfer ,

Stretching as a matter of routine will help a lot.  Below is a good book on stretching.  The golf instruction part is average, but the stretching part is excellent.

In addition, strengthening your core muscles and shoulder joint is important too.  The book below is an excellent guide by Joey D.  A lot of the exercises are similar to one my physical therapist had me due to recover from shoulder surgery.

Lastly, ice is your friend.  When ever you get sore, a bit of icing with really help.

Best of luck.

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Yes. I'm almost always in pain after just a round or couple of practice sessions.  I'm putting ice on often on my lower back, both shoulders, and right ribcage.  I probably have seriously wrong mechanics or try too hard beyond my physical conditions.  I tried to ask around but most people  I know don't have much issue.  Now I'm thinking I should play only 60-70%. of what my actual extension.  That way I probably enjoy more and get on life after a round of golf.

Note: This thread is 3678 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!