Sign in to follow this  
assassin307

Ping Eye 2's

I would buy a set of Eye2's that fit you, are in good shape, having matching serial numbers, have the set make-up you want, etc. $210 for such a set is OK IMO.

Thanks for the advice!

Ping Zings were the best set of irons I ever owned and foolishly sold. Luckily I never gave up the eye 2 irons and never will. My son-in-law has been trying to pry them from me for years. My every day irons are Ping G10's, nice steady club but I will use the eye 2 every 3rd or 4th time I play. The grooves sre getting bad and will need to work on them over the winter. Anyway Zings are another great product from Ping.

I do have a bit of a slice, so these may work. I found a set of Zings in a local store for $159, but they set was missing the 9 iron. I also found a set of eye 2's in the same store for $210, with all the clubs in the set (3-w I believe). Prices seem ok? Both were in good condition, but could use new grips.

To me, those prices are a bit high, the Zings at $159 are worthless w/o the 9..there is no resale value for a set missing pieces, the only thing they are good for is a jr set or sold off in pieces. $210 for the eye seem alittle high ($30-60) high, unless they have new grips and are in great great shape. The salesman is partial to his paycheck NOT your golf experience.

To me, those prices are a bit high, the Zings at $159 are worthless w/o the 9..there is no resale value for a set missing pieces, the only thing they are good for is a jr set or sold off in pieces. $210 for the eye seem alittle high ($30-60) high, unless they have new grips and are in great great shape. The salesman is partial to his paycheck NOT your golf experience.

The price on the Zings is good, but I agree that they are worthless without the 9 iron. One can always pick up a Zing 9 iron on Ebay, probably for very little money, but the serial number (and possibly the shaft and grip as well) will be different from the rest of the set. Karsten Mfg. will not change the serial number. Zings are sort of the bastard child of the Ping family. Not too many people like them but those who do are pretty fanatical about them.

I definitely agree that $210 is a little pricey for a set of Eye 2's. I checked Ebay just a few minutes ago and saw several sets with "Buy It Now" prices of less than $200, not to mention several auctions that are ending soon and have high bids of less than $200.

I definitely agree that $210 is a little pricey for a set of Eye 2's. I checked Ebay just a few minutes ago and saw several sets with "Buy It Now" prices of less than $200, not to mention several auctions that are ending soon and have high bids of less than $200.

If you buy them on Ebay you don't know exactly what you're getting, or if the seller is honest. And even if he is, you still need to pay shipping (which for a set of irons is going to be more than $10 bucks, even more if insured), and then wait 2 weeks or so during prime golfing season to get them.

So if the OP has found a set that he has tried, that suit him, in a store, for $210, that he can take home and start using immediately, it seems like a good deal to me.

If you buy them on Ebay you don't know exactly what you're getting, or if the seller is honest. And even if he is, you still need to pay shipping (which for a set of irons is going to be more than $10 bucks, even more if insured), and then wait 2 weeks or so during prime golfing season to get them.

1. Ebay provides seller feedback ratings, and these should always be checked when bidding on an item. I always do and in 12 years of buying on Ebay I have never been burned. Moreover, anyone paying with Paypal for an Ebay item automatically gets a customer satisfaction warranty that provides for a full refund if the item is not as described.

2. It doesn't take two weeks to ship clubs anywhere in the continental U.S. With Priority Mail it takes two days. With parcel post it usually only takes a couple of days more.

I have a set of ping eye 2's blue dot.I got them last year when i started to play golf and i quickly got my handicap down from 36 to 26 in the space off a couple off weeks their so easy to hit with.

I would recommend anyone starting out to pick up a set.

1. Ebay provides seller feedback ratings, and these should always be checked when bidding on an item. I always do and in 12 years of buying on Ebay I have never been burned.

I do a fair amount of business on ebay, so I think I can speak with some experience that feedback ratings don't guarantee squat despite your own happy experience. And priority shipping ain't free.

As for how long it would take to get them, the best case scenario is that the seller ships them without delay, which is not always the way it is. In any case, if you can find them near you and test them first, for the same money as it would cost to order them and get them shipped to you, why would you buy them online?

I was able to get a set of black dot Zings 3-SW, new grips and matching serial #'s for less than that from Golf Galaxy. I would keep looking.

A few weeks ago there was a set of Eye 2s on CL locally for $75. I really wish I would have jumped on it.

I have a set of ping eye 2's blue dot.I got them last year when i started to play golf and i quickly got my handicap down from 36 to 26 in the space off a couple off weeks their so easy to hit with.

This is what I found in the store. I may go back today and take a better look at them. Perhaps try to work on the price as well.

I must admit its nice walking out with them in hand and seeing what I am buying vs ebay. But i understand there are great deals to be had on ebay.

I do a fair amount of business on ebay, so I think I can speak with some experience that feedback ratings don't guarantee squat despite your own happy experience. And priority shipping ain't free.

I do more than a fair amount of busines on Ebay and I am quite positive I can speak from experience. Reputable sellers value their feedback ratings and wise buyers know this. As I said previously, anyone who pays via Paypal (which is how the vast majority of items are paid for these days) gets a money back guarantee.

And of course priority mail shipping isn't free. For the average golf club shipment it's about $10.90 and the buyer receives them in 2 days. Virtually all reputable sellers ship the day payment is received; otherwise, offering priority mail shipping would be pointless, so your argument about sellers delaying shipment has no merit. Finally, the idea here is to save a few bucks, not to spend the same amount. You obviously haven't been paying attention to my argument. As I said before, I have seen many sets of Eye Two's on Ebay for less than $200. With priority mail shipping a set of Eye Two's that sells for a final price of $150 would end up costing $161. That's considerably less than what it costs to buy them in a store.

Dont worry about dot color! You can ship the set back to ping at anytime and they will bend to adjust lie to any color code you want. They will also weaken or strengthen the loft. The whole set will cost you $18 total. 2 weeks from the time you send them, they will be back to you. They clean, repaint the bottom groove white, paint the numbers again and change the color code on the iron. Get the best deal you can on the set and ship them to ping. I just got mine back. I bought them 12 years ago and needed to adjust the lie from gold to orange. Best customer service in the business!

Dont worry about dot color! You can ship the set back to ping at anytime and they will bend to adjust lie to any color code you want. They will also weaken or strengthen the loft. The whole set will cost you $18 total. 2 weeks from the time you send them, they will be back to you. They clean, repaint the bottom groove white, paint the numbers again and change the color code on the iron. Get the best deal you can on the set and ship them to ping. I just got mine back. I bought them 12 years ago and needed to adjust the lie from gold to orange. Best customer service in the business!

There are limits to the adjustability of Eye2 dot color (i.e. lie angle) as spelled out on Ping's website here:

http://www.ping.com/about/clubrepair.aspx In short, some Eye2 models can be adjusted a maximum of 2 degrees, other models cannot be adjusted at all. So telling someone "Don't worry about dot color!" is very bad advice.

Ping Eye-2 ranks as a SGI club with an MPF above 700.

What clones did you have, I had a set I bought in 85' called Tiger Eye. I haven't seen any other sets.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

There are limits to the adjustability of Eye2 dot color (i.e. lie angle) as spelled out on Ping's website here:

You and I may disagree as to whether it is better to buy on Ebay as opposed to a shop, but on this point I agree with you wholeheartedly. A golf pro I know who is an authority on all things Ping says that in many cases when Eye Two's are bent to a different lie angle due to some elasticity characteristic in the metal they will eventually revert back to that at which they were originally cast. Obviously the color code is important and for that reason I would not buy a color code other than the one that is right for me with the expectation that it can be bent to my specifications.

I do more than a fair amount of busines on Ebay and I am quite positive I can speak from experience. Reputable sellers value their feedback ratings and wise buyers know this. As I said previously, anyone who pays via Paypal (which is how the vast majority of items are paid for these days) gets a money back guarantee.

I thought we were talking about a set on ebay that was $200. If we are talking about a set that is significantly less than that, then I agree it could be cheaper and possibly better for the OP to go this route. Personally, though, I still like to try before I buy . . .

I ended up buying a set of Zing 2's in very good condition. I will try them and see what I think. If I don't like, back they go and I will try the eye 2's. Thanks for all the help!