IGNORED

Soccer in the U.S.

damoc1
Note: This thread is 6378 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

It's really just a case of what we all grew up with. I grew up with

I take your point, and I like to watch American Football, but I grew up watching and playing Association Football in England, so I'm probably biased in favour of the World's favorite game :P

Like I said, I'm really not concerned about what it's called elsewhere.

Elsewhere? Do you mean the rest of the World? Besides, it's not what it's called elsewhere, Association Football is the name of the game. That's not an opinion, it's fact.

But on that topic, isn't FIFA notorious for being a totally corrupt organization anyway? Nothing to be dissapointed about here, how about over there?

Yep, they are pretty corrupt from what I can tell from reports in the media etc. But like someone else said, aren't most organisations? Including to the outside world the US Senate and Congress.

So no, I'm not dissapointed
In the bag:
Driver - FT-i 9.5* Neutral Speeder 686 Stiff
Fairway Wood - X-Tour 15* Stiff
Hybrid - Nickent 3DX Ironwood 17* Aldila NV Hybrid 75S
Irons - Tour Stage Z101 Forged Irons DG S300 Shatfs (2-PW) Wedges - 52* Callaway X Tour Vintage, 58* Callaway X Tour Mack Daddy VintagePutter - Scotty...

I like both. I played American football in high school and in college we played lots of league soccer. There were lots of ski companies in my college town and so we had lots of euros running around. My son has played since he was 3 and my daughter too.

I do have one observation though. I think soccer, like hockey, is much better when watched live and in person. I suppose that's true of most sports but I think it's particularly true in sports where there is constant motion and plays develop over an entire field (or ice rink, as the case may be). That's not as true in sports like baseball or even American football where plays are set up and begin from a static point on the field.

Having said all that, I doubt soccer will ever enjoy the popularity it does outside the U.S.

In my bag:

Driver: Wishon 915CFE, 420cc, SK Fiber Lite Revolution I
Irons: Tommy Armour 845 FS - PW - 3
Hybrid: Adams Idea 21 deg.Wedges: Cleveland 900 52 deg., 56 deg. TA588 60 deg.Putter: Generic mallet style

• 4 weeks later...
you guys should watch rugby, its a man's game. they dont go out dressed like camp stormtroopers.

Camp stormtroopers? Because I'm sure the little plastic pads will help against the pure force of a 6-2 300 lb down lineman hitting you with all he's got (read a physics book). Your knees will say goodbye after a few of those hits...

Rugby is a tough sport (played it in college), but American Football is set up so the quick 3-15 second bursts of energy are all-out and are designed for you to collide head on with someone else running full bore at you. The breaks in action serve to increase the pain since freshly-rested players can hit harder. For some reason I think I've heard American football has far more injuries than Rugby or soccer. The great part of watching football is the strategy, or watching someone get creamed. I have to admit though, I love soccer. Have always been a huge fan, but comparing American Football and soccer is like comapring apples and oranges. I can see the Rugby comparison, but they are quite different as well. I think America should get into soccer - but should it replace American Football? No way. Can't we have both? There are only 1,000+ sports channels anymore...
"Hit 'em hard - they'll land somewhere." - Stewart Maiden

In the Bag:

Driver: R480, 10.5*, Graphite5 Wood: R540 XD, 17.5*, GraphiteIrons: Big Bertha 4-10 + GW, SSWedge: 56*, Chrome, SSPutter: White HotBall: HX Hot

Ah soccer, if you soccer people want to make your game more watchable just skip the regular game and go straight to the shootout. Christ, I tried to watch the world cup it was painful. I swear nothing friggin happened! Just a bunch of idiots kicking a ball back and forth. Its like watching people run a marathon. Thats why the announcers yell "GOOOOAAAAALLLL!!!" when someone finally scores, it is to wake everyone up.
People say its nonstop action unlike American football which only has short bursts. Well they need to look up the definition of action cause I certainly did not see any. More happens in the opening kickoff in american football than in an entire game of soccer.

Danny    In my :ping: Hoofer Tour golf bag on my :clicgear: 8.0 Cart

Driver:   :pxg: 0311 Gen 5  X-Stiff.                        Irons:  :callaway: 4-PW APEX TCB Irons 
3 Wood: :callaway: Mavrik SZ Rogue X-Stiff                            Nippon Pro Modus 130 X-Stiff
3 Hybrid: :callaway: Mavrik Pro KBS Tour Proto X   Wedges: :vokey:  50°, 54°, 60° 
Putter: :odyssey:  2-Ball Ten Arm Lock        Ball: :titleist: ProV 1

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• 2 weeks later...
Like I said, I'm really not concerned about what it's called elsewhere. But on that topic, isn't FIFA notorious for being a totally corrupt organization anyway? Nothing to be dissapointed about here, how about over there?

Guys, Guys, Guys, put the handbags down,

look both games are called Football, the English version is the oldest and can be a great game both to watch and to play, while the american version of Football is also a great game and i love to watch it too and have done since the late 80's, so as sports both games are great but some like one more than the other, agreed!!!! However on issue of naming the sports you guys in the U.S have to remember that modern day America was founded by the Europeans so in actual fact we the Europeans invented both games and there fore we make the decisions on what they are called. Not you! There is no such sport as Soccer, if Americans play a sport simlar to football that they call soccer then let them have their soccer. Now Baseball and Cricket are both incredabley boring, lets agree on that. Can't beleive that all you guys are arguing over how slow the action is in the two Football games when we are talking via a GOLF website and as much as i love golf it is hardly fast paced action all the way and it lasts far longer than either of the football games. Get a grip on yourselves. To

"However on issue of naming the sports you guys in the U.S have to remember that modern day America was founded by the Europeans so in actual fact we the Europeans invented both games and there fore we make the decisions on what they are called. Not you! There is no such sport as Soccer, if Americans play a sport simlar to football that they call soccer then let them have their soccer."

Hmmm. Not sure I agree with you on this Sidders. I have many friends from outside the U.S. Some live here, some don't. But in any event, when they are here, they call the game "soccer". They do this becuase they know that if they ask someone to play football, they'll be handed shoulder pads and a helmet. Even the trainers for my son's and daughter's teams, all of whom come from the U.K., call the game "soccer" when they are here.

So it's fine to call naming rights - just don't expect folks from the U.S. to follow along when you are here. I have traveled extensively in the U.K. and Europe and I've always been respectful of your perogative to call the game football. When talking sports with a Brit or Euro, I will use the term "American Football" to distinquish between the games and I won't use the word "soccer", unless I slip up. But when I do slip up, they always know what game I am talking about.

Incidentally, when I asked my Italian friend what he calls the game in Italian, he said that while the word "football" is used, they use the word "calcio" to describe the game when they are speaking Italian. So there are other countries that have different names for the same game.

No matter. I enjoy watching both games and still am able to play pick up soccer from time to time with friends. I stay away from trying to play anything but touch football at this stage of my life.

In my bag:

Hybrid: Adams Idea 21 deg.Wedges: Cleveland 900 52 deg., 56 deg. TA588 60 deg.Putter: Generic mallet style

I'm going to get pelters for this post.

American Football = Predictable "Team Sumo" played by steroid monsters

Football = Athletic, sometimes breathtaking, beautiful world game.

Taylormade r7 460
Callaway X 3 Wood
Callaway X 5 Wood
Callaway X 7 Wood
Callaway X Hybrid (24*)TaylorMade r7 Irons (5-PW)Mizuno MP-R Series Wedges (52,58 degrees)Ping G2 Anser Putter

Football (Soccer to Americans) is most definitely on the rise in the USA.

Consider the following observations:-

Football has more high school and college age particpants than any other sport in America. This will lead to a growing fan base for football in the future.

At the grass roots level facilities and coaching are excellent. This is producing excellent American players. There are now a large number of "home grown" American players playing in the best leagues for the best teams in Europe.

On my last visit stateside (July 2006) I was surprised at the quality, and quantity, of the world cup coverage on TV. In fact coverage was outstanding on the whole and was at least as good as that provided by the european TV networks. This must reflect the increasing interest in the game?

The MLS has improved out of all recognition; There are lots of high quality games now. European scouts are increasingly visiting America to recruit players.

The American national side is competitive and at its best is capable of beating virtually any international team.

This all adds up to an enormous amount of inertia pushing football forward.

The over 30s will never be converted to football, but its rise in popularity amongst the young will inevitably secure its future in America.

Taylormade r7 460
Callaway X 3 Wood
Callaway X 5 Wood
Callaway X 7 Wood
Callaway X Hybrid (24*)TaylorMade r7 Irons (5-PW)Mizuno MP-R Series Wedges (52,58 degrees)Ping G2 Anser Putter

bold statmenet my friend, but us europeans feel exactly the same way regarding american football and baseball !!

Probably the same guy that invented cricket invented baseball. Only he decided to make cricket slower and let games roll on for days so that the result could be decided by bad weather rather than play.

Taylormade r7 460
Callaway X 3 Wood
Callaway X 5 Wood
Callaway X 7 Wood

"Incidentally, when I asked my Italian friend what he calls the game in Italian, he said that while the word "football" is used, they use the word "calcio" to describe the game when they are speaking Italian. So there are other countries that have different names for the same game.

Yes other countries have different names for the game, its because they use different laungages. Calcio in Italian means "I Kick" or "to kick" not to throw!!

Anyway, thanks alot guys, hows the golf????

Yes other countries have different names for the game, its because they use different laungages. Calcio in Italian means "I Kick" or "to kick" not to throw!!

Sometimes I think Brits and Americans speak a different language.

Right now golf is very nice here in New England. The courses are empty, and today the mercury was up in the low 60's (not sure what that is in celsius). We're hanging on as long as we can, but the courses will probably close very soon.

In my bag:

Note: This thread is 6378 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!