IGNORED

Chipping Question

ChipShot
Note: This thread is 5029 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

As luck would have it, I was looking at Srixon's pretty yellow balls yesterday (

I'm of the belief, that for the casual golfer, stick to one club around the greens and develop "feel" with the one club in terms of how much backswing to apply to the ball to go x distance. Just as you use one putter regardless of distance to the hole on the green, use one club (i.e. sw, lw, pw) around the greens when chipping. To try and use your whole bag and figure out how far a ball rolls per club, and translate that to real play, is simply too much, adds too much thought to the process in my opinion. Best to continue to practice with the one club/wedge around the greens, get a feel for how hard to hit to go x feet/yards and dial'em in. takes the thought out of club selection and i think lessens stress and increases confidence as your experience grows with it.

In my Mizuno Aerolite IV Stand Bag:

Driver: Titleist 910D2 (9.5°, RIP Alpha 70S)
Wood: Titleist 910F (15°, RIP Alpha 70S)

Irons: Mizuno MP-68 Irons (3 - PW, C-Taper S+), Mizuno MP-33 2 Iron (C-Taper S+)

Wedges: Vokey Spin Milled (56.11 - Bent to 54°, 60.07 Tour Chrome, C-Taper S+ DSS)

Putter: Scotty Cameron Newport 2 (34")

Ball: Titleist Pro-V1x

GPS: Garmin Approach g5

Most useful training aids (for me) that I use: Tour Striker Pro 7 Iron, Swingyde, Tour Sticks alignment sticks, Dave Pelz Putting Tutor

I have found that shortening my backswing and still coming down full force allows me to more effectively control short chips around the green without to much extra thought. Whereas going with a 3/4 backswing with my 56* is what allows me to hit those 50-60yarders.
 Driver:callaway.gifBig Bertha 460cc 10* Hybrids: adams.gif A7 3-4H  Irons: adams.gif A7 5i-PW
Wedges: cleveland.gifCG 12 50*, CG 14 56*, CG12 60* Putt Putt:odyssey.gif White ICE Tour Bronze 1 Putter

I spend more time on the chipping green and with short irons than I do with my driver or long irons. Focusing on that part of my game improved my scoring alot. If I get into a slump with chipping from 10 feet off the green, I will use a 6 or 7 iron and use a putting stroke to just clear the fringe and let it run.

In my stand bag....

Driver: Titleist 910D2 9.5
3 wood: R9 TP
Irons: R9 TP

Wedges: xFT 52*, 56*, 60* Putter: Circa '62 #3

Ball: Penta TP #13

Note: This thread is 5029 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!