IGNORED

improving my accuracy

Note: This thread is 6422 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Hello,

Well my problem is my accuracy with my irons. I always push the ball just right of the green. I have tried using a iron at my hips the check my direction then make my swing, it gets better but still not to the pin. I train with a buddy of mine (+1,8) we played saturday and he corrected me on just about every ball I played (except wedges) is there a drill or some otherthing that could help me?? the only thing with just missing the green I have become really good at chipping and lob shots, I save quite a few birdies those two shots..

Driver: Taylor Made R7 425 9.5° TP Stiff
Fairway: Taylor Made V-Steel #3 w/Fujikura Rombax Stiff
Irons: Taylor Made rac LT 4-PW shaft; Rifle Flighted 6.0
Wedges: Tayor Made rac 52° 56° 60°Utility: Taylor Made Rescue TP #3 (Aldila NV Hybid 85g Stiff)Putter: Scotty...

• Administrator
Hello,

Is it your alignment, then, or is it something else like your lie angles being too flat? Or your grip being weak? Are you certain it's the alignment?

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I checked my lie angles on my clubs last week, and I have a very stong grip.. using a stronger grip I dont think I could twist my hand any further.. that is what makes me think its my alignment..

Wedges: Tayor Made rac 52° 56° 60°Utility: Taylor Made Rescue TP #3 (Aldila NV Hybid 85g Stiff)Putter: Scotty...

Whats the flight pattern of your iron shots? Fade, draw, straight?

In addition to alignment issues, it could be swing path or face angle. The latter two are more difficult for a person watching you to detect unless they are looking specifically for it.

Bret Schlyer
===========
Driver: 2009 Burner TP
3 wood: Ti Bubble
5 wood: Macgregor MacTec NGV

Hybrid: Nickent 3DX RC  3

Irons: Hireko XF Pro

SW/LW: Cleveland 588

Putter: Ping Anser

my flight path of my short irons 6-9 is straight and 5 and 4 light fade rescue driver straight flight..

launch monitor saids that my swing path is two upright with my long irons and I sometimes cast with my driver slowing the swing speed and losing distance..

That could very well be your lie angle causing the ball to go right then. An upright impact position w/ standard lie angle clubs will cause the ball to fly to the right. Try to get yourself tested on a lie angle impact board - it may be that you don't need your clubs bent, it may just be that some bad habit has crept in thats causing you to be in a bad impact position.

Bret Schlyer
===========

An upright impact position w/ standard lie angle clubs will cause the ball to fly to the right. Try to get yourself tested on a lie angle impact board.

I build clubs for a living, and like I mentioned above I just checked them with a lie board and launch monitor. The scuff marks were right in the middle of the irons. Thanks for the tip, Im not trying to be an a$$ or anything. You are right I am getting bad habits thats for sure. I turn my hips to fast on my down swing causing my club face to open at impact. Better book somemore hours with my pro..

Sorry, I missed your previous lie angle comment.

It almost has to be a path issue then (inside-out with a relatively square clubface). If the clubface was open at impact, but with a correct path - that would cause a fade/slice rather than a straight push.

Bret Schlyer
===========

It almost has to be a path issue then (inside-out with a relatively square clubface).

That is one of things that happens when I dont watch my tempo

If the clubface was open at impact, but with a correct path - that would cause a fade/slice rather than a straight push.

and this is the other..

When I play controlled the ball flys like I mentioned above. However I just cant line myself up right for anything beyond 140 meters. I always think I need to turn my body more to the right (Im right handed)

Hi,

If you're starting to narrow it down to alignment, what is your pre-shot routine like?

The most helpfull alignment advise I received was from an instructor. I stand a good 10 feet behind the ball, towards my target. I mark a perceptible target just a mere 5-15 yards in front of my ball (inline with my target). It might be a leaf, a bush, a divot or whatever.

You may already be doing this, but if so, it might be worth re-visiting your process.... just a thought.

In one exercise my instructor would ask me to line up to a target. He would lay a few clubs down to show my target line, then ask me to back up and check out the results... it was surprising.

Colin

WITB:
Driver: SUMO 10.5* w/Stock Shaft R
Wood: X-3 15*Hybrids: Slingshot 3 @20* Graphite RIrons: Slingshot OSS 4-AW Graphite RWedge: CG11 52* and 56* Putter: G5i UG-LEBall: One Black -or- Juice. Still experimenting.

Hi,

I will give that a try.. I think I might just need to take more time with my pre shot set up.. I think your right I might be rushing it.. I also did that with the irons and I was always way off..

Thanks..

Hi,

Just a quick sidenote...

I also had a similar pre-shot routine but then an instructor told me that having the "intermediate target" as far as 3-6 yards away (which I tend to have) is way too far and might explain alignment/aiming problems. Instead I should have it only 2-4 feet away from the ball. I find this piece of advice strange (or even irrational) and not very helpful and have gone back to my old habit. To me it seems crucial that the intermediate target is at least a few yards away from the ball. However, for putting I tend to allow for shorter ball-to-IT distances.
D: Integra SoooLong Graph TI 400cc 10.5 w Harrison Striper Titanium Stiff
FW: Cobra X Speed 4+ (16 deg) w stiff Aldila NV-X
Hybrid: Cobra Baffler 2/R 19 deg hybrid
Irons: ICN 3-PW irons
Wedge: Wokey SM 58.08 wedgePutter: "Dead Center" putter

Sorry, I missed your previous lie angle comment.

I agree, and this is exactly my problem at the moment. I'm hitting a pretty straight ball with the mid and long irons, but usually pushed a bit to the right. Or else I hit a draw or a hook. When I look at my divot on a pushed shot, it's always pointing a bit towards the right as well - because I'm too much inside at the top and coming back down. Always examine thine divot, for it wouldst tell thee much. Of course, you overcompensate at the top and you're gonna hit the dreaded slice.

So try really working on swing path, which for me means getting it right on the way back. You gotta be in the right spot at 9 o'clock going back or there's hell to pay ....... . I find that if I really concentrate on the "one-piece take-away" (with hardly any wrist break until 9 o'closk), I seem to be more likely to be on plane up and down.

Driver: Cobra 460SZ 9.0, med.
3 Wood: Taylor stiff
3-hybrid: Nike 18 deg stiff
4-hybrid:
Taylor RBZ 22 deg regular
Irons:5-9, Mizuno MP30, steel
Wedges: PW, 52, 56, 60 Mizuno MP30
Putter: Odyssey 2-ball

I went to my buddy (pga pro trainer) and he noticed my left wrist is hinged back therefore keeping the face of the club open during the back swing.. I have been working on that but it has helped..

thanks everyone for the help..

Yes, that would do it as well, but it usually results in more of a slice than a push. Been there, done that. I try to "feel" a bit of pronation at the top (i.e. slight wrist bend in the opposite or closed direction). Many good players do this, so I figure if I do it too, good things might happen ...
I advise close attention to swing plane and divot direction at all times. You'll be surprised at how much good info you will get about what went wrong.

4-hybrid:

Yes, that would do it as well, but it usually results in more of a slice than a push. Been there, done that. I try to "feel" a bit of pronation at the top (i.e. slight wrist bend in the opposite or closed direction). Many good players do this, so I figure if I do it too, good things might happen ...

thank I will give that a shot..

I have been getting better at reading my divot's, however they seem straight to me..

Unless you shoot in the low single digits, your divots will talk to you eloquently. But you have to look at them very carefully. We're talking about a few degrees here that make all the difference..... hopefully! Take a 7-iron, which I generally goes about 150 yds in my case. Ten degrees off in the plane of the hit and the green is completely missed .... what's the tangent of 10 deg again?

Of course some people hardly ever make a divot with any club, which is a big problem with the mid- and shorter irons IMHO. You should be taking turf after the ball then, of course.

Later: the tangent of 150 is 0.1763, which means that I just missed the pin with my 7-iron (that I took dead aim at) by 26.4 yards. Like I say, swing plane is an important thing.

4-hybrid:

I couldnt agree with you more.. however the thing is I forgot to mention is that my right knee is not inline with my foot.. it grew slight right so if my knee is at 12 o'clock then my right foot is at 2 o'clock.. this makes really hard to read the divot right..

Note: This thread is 6422 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!