IGNORED

Any need for a Gap Wedge?

8.5_Drive
Note: This thread is 4723 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Just a few weeks ago I switched out my 52° Vokey for the 51° AP-2 that goes with my set. It gave me more consistency from the PW (110-120) to the GW (100-110) than the Vokey did. I could only hit the Vokey about 90 yards max, and the feel was just a lot different. Now the only mismatched iron in my bag is my 56° Vokey SW.

Rick

"He who has the fastest cart will never have a bad lie."

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I just started using a gap wedge last summer when my buddy gave me a 53 degree cleveland and have since switched to a vokey 52 degree. I love this club it is definitely my money club for my 115-125 yard shots and I think it is much easier to just take my gap wedge instead of trying to hit a knock down with my PW, but really with this sport I would have to say to each his own. So as far as I am concerned a gap wedge could be a valuable asset to any golfers bag.

I agree with the majority of posters on here, I'd be lost without my 52* wedge.

Being from central Scotland the wind is nearly always a factor apart from the mid summer months so hitting a full shot with a lob wedge is a no no unless you want to watch it float backwards over your head or into the car park!!

The 52* lets me hit more shots and gives me the options I need when the 58* wont get there or the 47* is too much club. I can't imagine having a yardage gap anywhere in my bag but the last place I would chose to have it would be in the wedge department (that sounds slightly "wrong", there is nothing wrong with my gentlemans tackle I can assure you!!) I'd sooner have a gap from my driver to my next club.

I agree with the majority of posters on here, I'd be lost without my 52* wedge.

And this is the crux of the matter. I can get by with a small gap at the higher end of my bag.... Above 190 yards out is never going to be my scoring shot anyway. But I do expect to get close from 120 in (doesn't actually happen as often as I'd like, but I still expect it

), so I want consistency throughout the iron set from 7I on down. That is why I went to the gap wedge which matches my irons.... just made things a bit more predictable. I also love it for chipping.

Rick

"He who has the fastest cart will never have a bad lie."

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

My 52* gap wedge has become one of my favorite clubs. I use it for the 100-30 yard range. It is solid, consistent club for me. Sure, sometimes I scatch my head at the 100 yards range, trying to decide between my GW and PW. But again...if it is in the 100-30 yard range, the 52* is a confident "go to" club for me.

I also carry a 56* SW, but I have a high bounce on it, so only use if from sand and thick rough. I use my 60* for 30 yards and in. So...my wedges are very situational. The 52 and 60 are probably the two most commonly used clubs in the bag.

What I Play:

Driver: R9 460
4 Wood: G15

Hy: Callaway FT 3Hy

Irons: AP1 4-PW

Wedges: Vokey 52* & 60*, Mizuno MP-T 10 58*

Putter: Newport Studio Select 2.7

Ball: Nike One Vapor

I think I use my Gap Wedge on every hole. Not sure what I woulddo without one.
Driver: Cleveland Launcher 2009 FW: Adams Tight Lies 3w Irons: Bridgestone Precept Tour Premium EC603 3-PW Wedges: Cleveland DW/SW Adams LW Putter: Odyssey White Hot XG Marxman

• 8 months later...

been playing just over 18 months after six months i had a shoulder injury which stopped me from playing a full swing so i turned to the chipping green to get to know my wedges

(52,56,60 callaway jaws)  i get a hour a week finding my range so now im having success with these and using them all the time from 90 yds  in and enjoying the way they stick to the green so now i think ill add a 64 too the set  anyone using one any thoughts

Note: This thread is 4723 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!