IGNORED

My Swing (jeck)

jeck
Note: This thread is 4965 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

from behind:

Another shot from another angle:

First time I've got it recorded.

Like all beginners I've a lot of problems with my swing,
I dont want to spoil them before...
but I can say this I hit a lot of shots fat or thin.

Best thing about your swing= leg extension into impact.

some issues I see.
setup/address: club handle is very close to your body. A general rule is that there should be a horizontal fist width between your club shaft and body at address.

backswing: you roll the club in behind your body very quickly and your arms separate from your torso at the beginning of the backswing.
Try being very passive with your hands and arms during the backswing. Turn your shoulders vertically and feel that all your arms/hands do in the backswing is a hinging of your left wrist back toward your left forearm and hands move in behind you. That way your arms will stay attached to your torso. Your right elbow bends at top of backswing. Head moves backward during backswing, then forwards on downswing. Try keeping your head more centered.

downswing: first move is over the top--arms appear to swing out toward the ball. You have really nice leg extension into impact.

Try posting a true face on view to get a better look at the forward/downswing.

HiBore XLS Tour 9.5*
Adams Fast10 15* 3W
A2OS 3H-7iron 60* LW
8iron Precept Tour Premium cb
9iron and 45* PW 50* GW 56* SW m565 and 455 VfoilPutter Anser Belly Putter Ball in order of preference TPblack e5 V2  AD333

Thanks a lot!

I will try to get a better face on view. My shoulder doesnt aim the same way as my feet. thats why im hooking or fading here I guess. I dont really understand arms/hands hinging of my left wrist back, but I think if I dont seperate my arms from my torso in the backswing that I will get a better downswing (closer to my torso) Yeah I see that I bending my elbow on the top I will try to fix that but I dont really know how, do you have any suggestion? just feel so stiff when I streched it like that. The head is easy to adjust I guess.

what does leg extension mean? Today when I played I tried to get the right arm straight in the backswing plus turning my shoulder more vertical + swinging closer to my torso and it worked really well I was prepared to not even hit the ball, but I think I hit it better than I use to. I still hook a lot even like wedges but I think that has to do with closing the clubface plus I dont have my shoulders straight compare to the feets and knees. when I try to open the blade more the ball goes a bit to the left of the target, its like a small small push. I hit some shots fat or thin but I think that has to do with the head issue but im not really sure. I will try to upload a video next week to show my progress. Thanks again.

what does leg extension mean?

Your legs straighten into impact--this is what you want--it creates a longer lever arm and more power when hitting the ball.

As far as keeping your right arm straighter in the backswing--your backswing is very armsy and handsy. Try making bacswings by just turning your shoulders vertically and hinging your left wrist--this should take the elbows (and elbow bending) out of the backswing. Reason you hit the ball to the right--you are coming into the ball with an out to in swing with a closed clubface--you are likely hitting straight pulls. When you get the sequencing and movements correctly, the ball will start out to the left and draw back to the middle.

HiBore XLS Tour 9.5*
Adams Fast10 15* 3W
A2OS 3H-7iron 60* LW
8iron Precept Tour Premium cb
9iron and 45* PW 50* GW 56* SW m565 and 455 VfoilPutter Anser Belly Putter Ball in order of preference TPblack e5 V2  AD333

Hey Jeck,

Viewing the videos you posted, I get the feeling your distance is pretty good. I like your speed and athleticism and feel you can be a very good ‘player’. I am going to recommend a few simple thoughts of what I’d like to see if I were helping you.

***Golfswing1.wmv***

Frame 0:00 – Alignment looks a bit left.

Explanation: Think railroad tracks, especially if your intentional target is at the white vertical pole just behind your neck. Simply squaring up your alignment can do wonders for swing plane.

Frame: 0:00 – Hands look fairly close to your legs.

Explanation: I’d like to see at least a hands width of distance between your hands and thighs at address. The lack of room here will require a compensatory move later in the swing.

Frame: 0:00 – Address weight distribution.

Explanation: Your address appears to be a bit upright (difficult to tell for sure as I do not know your height). I would like to see a bit more spine tilt angle; this should offer a bit more lower body stability and support the rotation of the upper body.

Frame: 0:05 – Club head being pulled inside quickly.

Explanation: As others have commented, this is the path to coming over the top. A good position would be to have your clubhead along the lines of your hands when the club reaches parallel to the ground. This will prevent you from getting the club trapped behind you later at Frame 0:06.

Frame: 0:06 Straight right knee.

Explanation: Maintaining your right knee flex is vital! Your inconsistent ball striking can be the result of this knee losing the flex established at address (among other things).

Frame: 0:06 (Impact) Coming out of shot – change in spine angle.

Explanation: Take a look at address and compare your spine angle with this frame at impact. There was a noticeable move upward, partly due to lack of room established at address between the hands and thighs. The move of your bum inward stops the lower body rotation which causes a collapse of the arms just shortly after impact (Frame 0:04 golfswing2.wmv). A good thought to keep in mind is to think as though your belt buckle remains ahead of your hands on the downswing and that the hands never catch up.
These are just some thoughts that came to mind and please read with a grain of salt. I firmly believe the biggest issues are with the setup and alignment and your first move away from the ball. Fairly easy steps to remedy.

While I’m no instructor, I am a fairly good player. This would be items I would mention if asked for help.

Keep working hard, you are definitely on your way.

Cheers!
WoTb
In my staff bag
Driver: 907D2 - 9.5° - X100
3-Wood: PT13 - 13° - X300
Irons: MP-33 - 2i - PW - X300
Wedges: Vokey 54° & 58°Putter: Anser - 33" - (Face weighted)Ball: Pro V1x

You seem to be standing very upright. Stick your posterior out and keep your back very straight at address. This will give your arms a place to go on the downswing as you seem to be jamming up a bit (coming over the top). Your backswing seems to be very flat as well. Try not to swing the club behind yourself, swing it straight away from your target. This also can cause you to come over the top.

Start your downswing with a little hip nudge instead of rolling your shoulders first. This'll help to to keep your upper body quiet through the downswing.

You are probably having inconsistent striking (fats, thins) because you rely heavily on your arms. Your body seems to follow your arms, should be the other way around.

You got a nice stroke for a beginner, you will be fine.

One last thing, you are hitting from the wrong side of the ball!!!

Geomax 16 reg - driver
G10 17 4 wood reg
Sumo2 20 hybrid Reg
MX-100 4h, 5h, 6-gap Reg
MP T 10 56.10, 60.08Bullseye putter

Thanks again for the tips!
Im on a small vacation and didnt bring my camera I've played 2 rounds of 9 holes.. Made my first birdie! on a par 5. :)

The biggest reason my handicap is still so bad is the putting and wedging, last 9 holes on my home court I shot 55 with 27 putts!¤&%%#(I will practice putts with a pro very soon)
but will get a better handicap if my ball strikes gets more consistentant.

anyway back to my swing, I've tried started my swing more with my shoulders but I think I should start them with a hip turn first, anyway starting the swing with my shoulders have made me using a much smoother backswing and more straight shoots.

This have also gotten me to shot much more higher shoots especially with the driver, I also very seldom hit fades or pushes now with my irons.
and when I hit with my hybrids the shots goes very straight(before I was push slicing them too) now I bought a new driver because I had an offset before(and I dont think its such a good idea to play with that one), but I always hit push-slice or pull-slice
with my new one.

I think this has to do a lot with the club is coming behind, so i will think about that too, I've been thinking about changing my grip to a more neutral or strong one with just my driver, but I dont know if that is a good idea?

This thing about the knee and combination of swinging too much with my arms must be the reason for my inconsistent of ballstrikes plus maybe my changes in my spine angle.

Btw I just saw that my irons(taylor made burner plus) is offset clubs aswell, but I think I will be fine until I have like 15 i hcp.

Haha, I can make a mirror image on my swing so you see it from natural way if you rather want that?

I will post new videos as soon as the weather becomes better.

Note: This thread is 4965 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!