IGNORED

Anyone else here hunt?

nhwoj
Note: This thread is 3031 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

It was so cold out there for rifle opener. 8 degrees on Sat and 2 degrees this morning. I saw a bunch of deer but did not really feel like harvesting one. Saw a nice 2-3 year old 8 point who will be very nice in a couple years. Just watched him. I am bored hunting with a scope so I now roll old school. My dad tagged a monster though.

Nate

:pxg:(10.5) :benhogan:(4W):titleist:U500(3UI) :benhogan: Icon(4-PW) :edel:(52/58)

:odyssey:Putter :snell: MTB Black  

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

WOW!! That is a monster. I can't even enjoy the hunt in temps like these. At least it is supposed to get a little warmer though.

-Matt-

"does it still count as a hit fairway if it is the next one over"

DRIVER-Callaway FTiz__3 WOOD-Nike SQ Dymo 15__HYBRIDS-3,4,5 Adams__IRONS-6-PW Adams__WEDGES-50,55,60 Wilson Harmonized__PUTTER-Odyssey Dual Force Rossie II

WOW!! That is a monster. I can't even enjoy the hunt in temps like these. At least it is supposed to get a little warmer though.

Yeah his biggest one yet. Jackson County area near Blackriver.

Nate

:pxg:(10.5) :benhogan:(4W):titleist:U500(3UI) :benhogan: Icon(4-PW) :edel:(52/58)

Nice buck!

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

Dang, nice buck! What'd that baby dress out at?

No idea but the body was very big.  He had him dressd out and at the locker by noon, and I was still in the woods.  He had his friend help him so my brother and I could keep hunting.

Nate

• 1 month later...

Winter project for next hunting season.  I am building a 300 aac Blackout.  Building the lower now and will get the upper later.

Nate

Nice!!  See mine below.  I just picked this up.  .308 caliber.  Really looking forward to the versatility of this rifle.  With the collapsible stock and low recoil, I can use it for a youth rifle.  It should also work well for myself to use for deer hunting and maybe some coyote hunting.  Being that it is a .308 I can also try some long range target shooting.

-Matt-

DRIVER-Callaway FTiz__3 WOOD-Nike SQ Dymo 15__HYBRIDS-3,4,5 Adams__IRONS-6-PW Adams__WEDGES-50,55,60 Wilson Harmonized__PUTTER-Odyssey Dual Force Rossie II

Nice!!  See mine below.  I just picked this up.  .308 caliber.  Really looking forward to the versatility of this rifle.  With the collapsible stock and low recoil, I can use it for a youth rifle.  It should also work well for myself to use for deer hunting and maybe some coyote hunting.  Being that it is a .308 I can also try some long range target shooting.

Very nice!  I would have liked to build a AR10 but $$$$.  I really like the look of yours.

The 300 is nice because it is all 5.56 parts except for the barrel.  Even the mags and the BCG is the same.  Uses a cut down 5.56 casing and is a nice deer round a .30.   A lot less money for an effective deer rifle under 200 yards.  It will be so nice to finally have a rifle the does not bust the shoulder every time.  Plus if you run the 200 grain through the Blackout, it is sub sonic... :-D

Nate

It should also work well for myself to use for deer hunting...

How many times do you need to shoot 'em? :-\

All kidding aside, very nice rifle.

Tyler Martin

How many times do you need to shoot 'em?

All kidding aside, very nice rifle.

Ha ha.  So many hunters are going to these now.  They are just so much more smooth and nice to shoot.  No 30-06 bolt action bruised shoulders.  I always hated that.   Plus they are fun projects.

Nate

Ha ha.  So many hunters are going to these now.  They are just so much more smooth and nice to shoot.  No 30-06 bolt action bruised shoulders.  I always hated that.   Plus they are fun projects.

It would certainly be a fun project. I have a large caliber rifle (.300 mag) that I'll use in West Texas and for large game (elk, for instance), but when I'm hunting at home, I use a lever action .30-30 when I'm in a climber and a .243 for open fields. My next rifle will probably be a .25-06.

I'll be curious to see how your project comes along.

Tyler Martin

Very nice!  I would have liked to build a AR10 but $$$$.  I really like the look of yours.

The 300 is nice because it is all 5.56 parts except for the barrel.  Even the mags and the BCG is the same.  Uses a cut down 5.56 casing and is a nice deer round a .30.   A lot less money for an effective deer rifle under 200 yards.  It will be so nice to finally have a rifle the does not bust the shoulder every time.  Plus if you run the 200 grain through the Blackout, it is sub sonic...

I picked a base model from DPMS and asked for a few upgrades (upper with forward assist and dust cover, ambidextrous safety, aluminum free-float tube).  Got the complete setup with taxes and backgroud check for just under $1,200.

Definitely one of the big reasons I went this route was for the recoil.  My previous deer rifle was a bolt action .270.  Felt like a sledge hammer hitting my shoulder.  I certainly did not shoot it for enjoyment.

-Matt-

I picked a base model from DPMS and asked for a few upgrades (upper with forward assist and dust cover, ambidextrous safety, aluminum free-float tube).  Got the complete setup with taxes and backgroud check for just under $1,200.

Definitely one of the big reasons I went this route was for the recoil.  My previous deer rifle was a bolt action .270.  Felt like a sledge hammer hitting my shoulder.  I certainly did not shoot it for enjoyment.

Very Nice.  Enjoy the low recoil.  $1200 is a good price on that.  I have about $230 into my lower and then the upper is going to be between $400 and $500 for the blackout.

It would certainly be a fun project. I have a large caliber rifle (.300 mag) that I'll use in West Texas and for large game (elk, for instance), but when I'm hunting at home, I use a lever action .30-30 when I'm in a climber and a .243 for open fields. My next rifle will probably be a .25-06.

I do like my 30-30 as well but I will probably get rid of it to fund this project a bit.  I will attach a photo when I have the lower complete, and then when I have the upper assembly completed.  The .243 is one of the best all around rifles there is.  The problem with that build is it is on the AR10 platform as well.  So a bit spendy.  It was between the 6.8 and the 300 Blackout for me and since I do not need to throw anything out there more than 100 yards usually the Blackout is just fine.  With the Blackout you can run the lower grain through it as well and is can get out there a bit if need be.  I just like the subsonic for saving my ears.  Plus you can go all out and effectively can it as well. :-D That .25-06 sounds...fast!

Nate

Quote:

Originally Posted by geauxforbroke

I do like my 30-30 as well but I will probably get rid of it to fund this project a bit.  I will attach a photo when I have the lower complete, and then when I have the upper assembly completed.  The .243 is one of the best all around rifles there is.  The problem with that build is it is on the AR10 platform as well.  So a bit spendy.  It was between the 6.8 and the 300 Blackout for me and since I do not need to throw anything out there more than 100 yards usually the Blackout is just fine.  With the Blackout you can run the lower grain through it as well and is can get out there a bit if need be.  I just like the subsonic for saving my ears.  Plus you can go all out and effectively can it as well.    That .25-06 sounds...fast!

Can't blame you for going the 300 BLK route. I probably would do the same.

And yeah, the ballistics on the .25-06 are very impressive indeed.

Tyler Martin

Winter project for next hunting season.  I am building a 300 aac Blackout.  Building the lower now and will get the upper later.

Sounds like a fun project. Can't wait to see how it turns out!

In the Bag:
:titleist: 913 D3 - 9.5* - Diamana Stiff 62g
:mizuno: MP 64s 3-PW - DGS300
:cleveland: CG12 52* & 56*
:tmade: Rosa

Sounds like a fun project. Can't wait to see how it turns out!

I am going to do some paint fills on the spider and text as well, so that should be fun.  Hope it turns out ok.

Nate

Note: This thread is 3031 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!