IGNORED

Callaway Diablo Octane Tour Driver

Note: This thread is 4249 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I just pulled the trigger on the Octane Tour 9.5 with the Project X 6.0 S shaft. It outperformed everything else on the launch monitor and my numbers were consistently maxed out (longer and straighter). My swingspeed was up slightly to 103 mph with a 250ish carry total for 265ish results (club is lighter with D5 swingweight and a 45.5 inch shaft). This bested my Cally 454 by a good 10 yards of carry and was a lot tighter. I took it to the range this morning and after 25 balls, I ripped the tape of the face...I committed. The club has a muted sound and just puts it out there with a mid-high penetrating ball flight. The sole design is funky (good thing you can't see it), but the top has great lines, is painted solid black, is 1* open, and sets up great. I will report back after a couple of rounds, but so far I am really impressed as this thing is hot!

Cobra LTDx 10.5* | Big Tour 15.5*| Rad Tour 18.5*  | Titleist U500 4-23* | T100 5-P | Vokey SM7 50/8* F, 54/10* S, SM8 58/10* S | Scotty Cameron Squareback No. 1 | Vice Pro Plus  

Great initial review, sounds like this driver is worth considering. What did you demo it against?

In the Bag: TaylorMade R11 TP - TaylorMade R7 TP TS - Cleveland Halo - TM TP 2009 3-PW - Vokey SM 52 - Vokey SM 60 - Rife Barbados CS - ProV1x 

On the Computer:  Analyzr Pro 

My previous stick...BB 454 NV65s; TM SuperDeep, Cobra, and Ping...

Cobra LTDx 10.5* | Big Tour 15.5*| Rad Tour 18.5*  | Titleist U500 4-23* | T100 5-P | Vokey SM7 50/8* F, 54/10* S, SM8 58/10* S | Scotty Cameron Squareback No. 1 | Vice Pro Plus  

My previous stick...BB 454 NV65s; TM SuperDeep, Cobra, and Ping...

Did you try the Ping K15, I've heard some positive things about it.

Joe Paradiso

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Did you try the Ping K15, I've heard some positive things about it.

I believe it was the G15...

I'm guessing the RAZR Hawk will replace the FT-9 or FT-IZ which would put the price at $400 - $500 when they first release it.

Joe Paradiso

Is the RAZR going to be released in their Imix setup? I know the octane isn't going to be.

|Callaway I-MIX FT-9  - Driver | Callaway Diablo Octane - 3 Wood | Callaway Diablo Edge Tour [3H & 4H] - Hybrids | Callaway X-forged 2009 - Irons | Callaway JAWS [52, 56, 60] - Wedges | SC Studio Style Newport 2 / Laguna 1.5 / Kombi-S - Putter |

Is the RAZR going to be released in their Imix setup? I know the octane isn't going to be.

I read that Callaway is going away from the i-mix except for use in fittings. There is no intention to release an i-mix head in the first year of release. Dicks has had their i-mix heads and shafts on clearance here, the heads are $45, and the shafts were $65 with 25% discount on both.

Joe Paradiso

REALLY?! I guess I will be holding onto my driver for a little longer until I can save up some funds / convince myself I REALLY need a new one. There are some beauties comin out though!

|Callaway I-MIX FT-9  - Driver | Callaway Diablo Octane - 3 Wood | Callaway Diablo Edge Tour [3H & 4H] - Hybrids | Callaway X-forged 2009 - Irons | Callaway JAWS [52, 56, 60] - Wedges | SC Studio Style Newport 2 / Laguna 1.5 / Kombi-S - Putter |

REALLY?! I guess I will be holding onto my driver for a little longer until I can save up some funds / convince myself I REALLY need a new one. There are some beauties comin out though!

I agree, both of these drivers look good, but unfortunately I'm just starting out, and my driver is very inconsistent so I doubt these will work any better than the FT-IZ I'm using. You should check your local Dick's if you're using I-MIX. I got some great shafts that were selling for $300+ for $47. Since you're a righty you can probably pick up some other heads really cheap as well.

Joe Paradiso

My problem is that I have a shaft that I like, and was willing to try new heads.

Second report from the range...bombing this thing...high and long. The flight is higher than what I am used to, but with the low spin it just keeps going.

From the course...more forgiving, accurate, and longer. Good news...I can still hit a snap hook...phew...good swings were about 10 yards longer and I saw a couple of places on the fairway I have never seen before. The biggest difference is that the mis-hits don't lose as much distance and the great swings put it out there. It's a keeper!

Temptation to go driver shopping is rising.

In the Bag: TaylorMade R11 TP - TaylorMade R7 TP TS - Cleveland Halo - TM TP 2009 3-PW - Vokey SM 52 - Vokey SM 60 - Rife Barbados CS - ProV1x 

On the Computer:  Analyzr Pro 

Temptation to go driver shopping is rising.

Just for fun, run the monitor numbers against what you are gaming...you got the Tour set-up that is really popular...R7 425. I would be interested to see how they come out as I was contemplating picking up the R7 head and buying a shaft.

The thing kills it...one of the few drivers I can put over 300 yards but I really hate the feel of the club. I'm not too picky with my driver but the feel of this when it hits the ball isn't for me.

Waiting out the 2 feet of snow that just dropped on the course....

Do me a favor........if you can......compare the Octane to the Octane Tour. I'm 55, with a 5 handicapp. I can fade a ball all day into the fairway at 250--260yards. Even hitting it straight is not much problem. The problem I have is drawing my driver consistantly. Only God knows how much draw is going to show up on each shot I try to draw. I currently use the Diablo Edge with a regular shaft flex. Do I go for the Octane/reg flex or the Tour/reg flex? I guess what scares me is the smaller sweet spot (?) and more workability of the Tour model.

Thanks for any help.

Driver Callaway Diablo Edge --- Custom Sonartec 3, 5 and 7 woods made +1" stiff shafts --- Irons 5-L Ping G10 +1" 4.5* upright reg shafts --- ---Putter Tiger Shark

Note: This thread is 4249 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!