IGNORED

Putting woes....

Mikeland
Note: This thread is 6383 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Ok, I played Saturday...I hit the ball really solid, and ended up shooting 77...not bad you say? Well, I had 35 PUTTS!! Way too many 3 putts...terrible.

I've always had putting problems, so I went to a modified claw grip this summer and had success, but it seems to be failing me now. I don't know if it's due to lack of play (first time out in about 3 weeks) or lack of practice...maybe it's lack of confidence...

What does everyone do to practice putting (mainly indoors)?

Thanks!

Driver: Titleist 905S/9.5/Fujikura Speeder Stiff
3W: Titleist 906FT
Irons: Ping i10/Red dot
Wedges: Cleveland CG12/54/60
Putter: Odyssey XG RossieBall: TaylorMade TP Red

37 putts? Dude I had 41 once. You don't even know what putting pain is!

Robert Reid

In the bag:

Driver Cobra M/F Speed3 Cleveland LauncherCleveland Halo 2i Nike CPR 23 degree5-PW Mizuno MX 23 (graphite shafts)56 degree SW Mizuno MT

I am just coming off of having a 36 putt marathon on Friday myself...so not sure I'm the best for advice here...

However, I just read an article in Golf Digest that I am going to try out. One of the drills is to putt any other type of ball besides a golf ball. For example, go out and putt ping pong balls, raquet balls, etc. I plan on trying this out this week, and I will be sure to let you know my results :D
underparnv

That's how I like my golf. A kick in the face. -Ben

Driver: 983E 8.5* w/ stock stiff flex shaftIrons: MP60 - 2 through 9 irons (swap out the 2 iron for my three wood at some courses)Wedges: 588 Chrome - 47* Pitching Wedge, 53* Gap Wedge, 56* Sand Wedge MP-T Black Ni - 60* Lob WedgePutter:.....

What does everyone do to practice putting (mainly indoors)?

What is it exactly that you're having problems with? Is it speed control or accuracy or reading breaks, etc?

If it's speed control, it really can be attributed to lack of practice so I'd say just get out and hit a bunch of practice putts. I've found that putting on my carpet at home to a small glass or something helps a lot. Of course, that assumes you're putting on some type of firmer carpet and not on shag carpeting or something like that. If it's accuracy, there's a few things I work on. First, take some kind of straight edge object - a shirt box or shoe box will work - and practice making strokes with the box on both sides of the putter (i.e. some practice strokes with the box bordering the heel and some with it bordering the toe). Make sure you anchor the box against something, but you can easily feel if you are pulling the club offline. Secondly, I'd focus on shortening your backswing on the putts and really make sure you accelerate through the ball. That has always given me very good control on the longer putts. The key is to remember to do that on the 3 and 4 footers as well as the tendency is to jab at the ball from short distances in an attempt to "guide" it into the hole. If you're having problems reading breaks, I think its mostly a function of being able to visually see your ball going into the hole and properly matching up the desired speed (see accuracy ideas) with the line you see it going in on. Obviously, that comes with a ton of practice too, so just get out there and spend a few hours on the putting green. Don't forget to always follow the generic advice of missing on the high side of the hole and never leaving your putts short, etc. Hope that helps. In the end, I think its all about how much you practice and how much time you spend on it. When I'm not putting well, I'll go over to my course on my lunch break and spend an hour doing nothing but putting. It might take a few rounds to come back, but it always does.
In My Bag:
Driver: Titleist 983K 9.5°, Harmon HTD CB-65R
3-Wood: Mizuno MP-001, 13°, Harrison Striper Titanium
Hybrid 1: TaylorMade Rescue Mid TP, 16°
Hybrid 2: TaylorMade Rescue Mid TP, 19°Irons: Ping S59 Tour 4-PWWedges: Mizuno Black Nickel 51.06 / Cleveland Black Pearl 58.08Putter:...

I don't really practice putting indoors like I was trying to make putts. I try to make sure my routine is consistent and that I am aware of how my body feels when I make a good stroke. Reinforcing this feel practice seems to help minimize the thinking needed on the course. On the course or practice green I just try to follow my routine and recreate the feel I practiced.

1W Cleveland LauncherComp 10.5, 3W Touredge Exotics 15 deg.,FY Wilson 19.5 degree
4 and 5H, 6I-GW Callaway Razr, SW, LW Cleveland Cg-14, Putter Taylor Made Suzuka, Ball, Srixon XV Yellow

this season i made huge break throughs in my putting by addressing essentially 2 simple things.

1. Mental Attitude
2. Feel

(In this order of importance).

1. For adjusting my mental attitude I did the follow:
- On the course, focused on target (a la Rotella) for all putts.
- Didnt worry about missing putts. Just move on to the next hole. Think of the positive (getting yourself into a good position by a good shot or chip in the first place)
- Tried to think of sinking EVERYTHING

2. For feel, I did the following drills: note: For all practice putting, I only used 2 balls, important (dave stockton)

- Ladder/step drill: on a putting green i put down 3 tees in a line: 2 about 6 feet apart then i put one in the middle.

so like this:

X X X

I then hit puts from about 10-20 feet towards this set up on the same line as these tees. On the first ball i tried to get it in the middle of the first 2 tees, then the second ball i tried to get into the middle of the next 2 (hope that makes sense)

- Fringe Drill: to get feel, i hit 2 putts to a spot on the fringe of the practise putting green. Vary the length.

- Eyes Closed Drill: hit putts with your eyes closed. Hit one then open eyes and then hit the next ball (with eyes open). This will get you out of the sensation of "anticipating" hitting the ball and smooth out your stroke.

Hope this helps. These drills (along with mental/course management work)were key to me pulling 4 shots off my handicap this year (6 last season - 2.8 this season).

The key to getting your numbers down is developing good feel on longer putts to avoid 3 puts, getting good feel on 6-12 footes to make them and having a good mental attitude on short putts.

My ball striking was hit and miss this year and I dont have a short game practise facility where i live (NYC). Working on improving my putting was an attainable/realistic goal this season which payed off handsomely. I now feel i dont have bad putting days anymore (even if my stats sometimes show other wise)

Also I think while working on stroke technique is nessessary (and important if you have a major flaw ie: hands behind ball at impact) i really feel its over rated.

I instead concentate on fundimentals: ball postition and alignment. I also concentrate on just making solid contact and use a chalk line to see how the ball is coming off the club head (ie: is there side spin?) - This is what i do indoors, to directly answer your question your post

Again whatever drills/technique work you do, the only way to see improvement on the course is to leave all this on the practice green.

On the course, try to make the putt in front of you. If you dont move on to the next hole.

Its as simple as that.

bridgestone j33r 460 V2 75 Stiff
HiBore Fairway 15 V2 75 Stiff
hybrid HiBore19 S300
bridgestone j33b 3-PW S300
Vokey 52 GP Vokey 58 LWyes sophia Putter 33Titleist v1x - bridgestone B330Home Course: Bethpage

Note: This thread is 6383 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!