IGNORED

Consistency With Irons

Big Don
Note: This thread is 6375 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I'm getting increasingly frustrated with my iron play. I can hit ball after ball straight down the middle on the range. I can usually hit 10-15 good shots between each "duffer" once I get tuned in. I'm also reasonably accurate and consistent in terms of hitting the target pins on the range.

However, my problem comes when I hit the course. All of the range consistency disappears. Maybe its the changing ground conditions between shots or the fact that you don't get the chance to become grooved with a particular club. Maybe I get tense addressing the ball. Either way its driving me nuts.

Any tips out there to improve consistency with irons?

Taylormade r7 460
Callaway X 3 Wood
Callaway X 5 Wood
Callaway X 7 Wood
Callaway X Hybrid (24*)TaylorMade r7 Irons (5-PW)Mizuno MP-R Series Wedges (52,58 degrees)Ping G2 Anser Putter

Hard to take the range swing to the course. try aiming at a target down the fairway thinking its a (range pin), relax on the course and have fun.

R7 9.5 S Shaft
560 R7 quad R shaft
RAC LT irons
Scotty Cameron Pro Platinum

I'm getting increasingly frustrated with my iron play. I can hit ball after ball straight down the middle on the range. I can usually hit 10-15 good shots between each "duffer" once I get tuned in. I'm also reasonably accurate and consistent in terms of hitting the target pins on the range.

like you said, you get "tuned in". it's easier to groove a swing when all you have to do is repeat the same one you did 5 seconds ago.

As a rule, I try to never hit the same club the same distance more than 5 times. Evidently, you're taking at least 15 swings with the same club. I suggest that you play a mini round at the driving range. After you get warmed up, tee off with your driver or 3W. Good bad or indifferent, plan your next shot based on your tee shot. if you hit it good, take a short iron to a target. Next hole, imagine it as a long par 4. hit your tee shot, and even if you hit it well, try hitting a long iron or hybrid to a set target. maximizing your time at the range is key. you rarely have to make the same swing twice on the golf course, so why should you hit 15 in a row at the range? good luck!

In my Bag:

Nike Sasquatch Tour 9.5*, Diamana BlueBoard 83S
Mizuno F-50 15*
Mizuno F-50 18*TaylorMade Rescue TP 21*Mizuno MP60 4-PWMizuno MP-R 54.10Cleveland CG10 60.08Mizuno Bettinardi C-01

Good advice from Young04.
How long do you warm-up before your round? Try to get to the course a little early and see if you can tune-in to your irons before the round.
Also, work on your routine. When you're at the range, do you just stand there and pound ball after ball? If so, try to hit each shot like you're on the course. Go through your routine - grip, aim, alignment, etc. I've noticed that ever since I developed a routine I hit the ball more consistent...it's when I start to rush that everything breaks down.
One other thing - don't go for the "large" bucket at the range...get the small and be precise with your practice...
Good luck!

Driver: Titleist 905S/9.5/Fujikura Speeder Stiff
3W: Titleist 906FT
Irons: Ping i10/Red dot
Wedges: Cleveland CG12/54/60
Putter: Odyssey XG RossieBall: TaylorMade TP Red

It sounds like your mechanics are sound. So I agree the routine on the course is the answer. If you hit balls quickly on the range, don't slow your routine down excessively on the course, line up waggle go, if you hit slowly on the range make sure you aren't getting nervous and speeding up on the course, or trying to be to perfect?, Nah thats my issue. LOL

1W Cleveland LauncherComp 10.5, 3W Touredge Exotics 15 deg.,FY Wilson 19.5 degree
4 and 5H, 6I-GW Callaway Razr, SW, LW Cleveland Cg-14, Putter Taylor Made Suzuka, Ball, Srixon XV Yellow

like you said, you get "tuned in". it's easier to groove a swing when all you have to do is repeat the same one you did 5 seconds ago.

That's a great tip. Thanks for that.

Taylormade r7 460
Callaway X 3 Wood
Callaway X 5 Wood
Callaway X 7 Wood
Callaway X Hybrid (24*)TaylorMade r7 Irons (5-PW)Mizuno MP-R Series Wedges (52,58 degrees)Ping G2 Anser Putter

great advice from Young04

also when another good tip a pro gave to me was after a bad shot, give up! ie give in to the fact there will be no birdie on this hole, the thing you were thinking of when you tried to murder the ball! go back to basics, back to your own natural swing. forget about the last shot and get this hole out of the way!

2006 Taylite Stand Bag
r7 460 Driver
halo #2
RAC OS steel
Vokey Oil Spin Milled Wedge lambeau 7favorit club! my trusty 3 iron

question............do your your shots off grass marts??? cause hitting from marts can mask fat and mis-hit shots... as the bounce off the mat can still get the ball down range... if you are using the the matts then try finding a range with grass and practice on that... and I like to practice with different clubs too..not using the same one for 20 shots...mix it up and take a friend and switch hits that way it gives you time to pause between shots and think...
if you are hitting from grass now at the range I'm out here....good luck
Team Santa Cruz, CA......

SPONSORS......
PING
FOOTJOYPAY-PAL VISABLUE CRUSH SPORTFISHING

My pals and I never hit off artificial turf, we consider it cheating. It's fine if you want to pratcice the driver, but for irons its worthless. Invest your time better on real grass.

When I am on the course, I turn everything off. The only thing I am focusing on is my golfswing and making clean contact. When your on the pratice range, memorize your hand and feet placement. Memorize and burn it in. When your on the course, don't hold back and trust your swing.

I have a friend that just started and it's hard for him to "trust" his swing. Go into the swing knowing your going to hit a great shot. If you don't, shake it off and repeat the process. A great attitude goes along way to good golf.

Peace g's.

Introducing The Weapons:

Driver- | R5 TP, Aldila VS Proto Shaft
3Wood- | R7 3.15
2Hybrid- | TP Rescue Dual, Fujikura Banzai Shaft3U- | 3U RAC TP 19, Grafaloy Prologic shaft Irons- | R7 CGB MAXWedges- | TP 58,56,52Putter- | Rossa Imola TP 34Ball- | TP Red on Normal Cond, TP Black When...

Concentrate on light grip pressure at the range and take that same grip pressure to the course. Hit at a target on the range and mix it up a lot. Use your preshot routine at the range for each ball. The goal is to make range practice more like real golf. Simply hitting the same club mindlessly into space at the range is nothing like playing golf. Don't give yourself a great lie on each range ball, hit them on the bare ground, divots, just drop balls and play them where they fall. This will build confidence on the course.

question............do your your shots off grass marts??? cause hitting from marts can mask fat and mis-hit shots... as the bounce off the mat can still get the ball down range... if you are using the the matts then try finding a range with grass and practice on that... and I like to practice with different clubs too..not using the same one for 20 shots...mix it up and take a friend and switch hits that way it gives you time to pause between shots and think...

I do hit of mats and it did occur to me that it might make a bit of a difference. The mats are quite soft mind you. I don't generally take a deep divot on the course and tend to sweep balls of the turf. Lots of good advice here, thanks guys.

Taylormade r7 460
Callaway X 3 Wood
Callaway X 5 Wood
Callaway X 7 Wood

I do hit of mats and it did occur to me that it might make a bit of a difference. The mats are quite soft mind you. I don't generally take a deep divot on the course and tend to sweep balls of the turf. Lots of good advice here, thanks guys.

One other little tip about hitting off mats. I had lost some distance off my irons, and got the lofts checked. The pro asked me if I had been hitting off mats, and I said yes. Each iron had been bent weak by .75-1.5* from the mats. Be careful.

In The Bag
Ping Rapture 10.5* Aldila Proto 65-S
Sonartec SS 3.5 19* 5W Fuji Tour Platform Stiff
Mizuno MP-30 3-PW
Titleist Vokey Spin Milled 54.10*, 60.04*Odyssey White Hot 2 BallTitleist Pro V1x

I find that going to the range too much actually makes me play worse. Try hitting a wedge and then a driver straight after. Then try hitting your irons and you'll find that your strikes will be more accurate. It sounds silly but it does work!

In the bag:
TM Burner 10.5 Grafalloy Blue Tour Shaft
Nike SQ II 3 and 5 woods[IMG][/IMG]
Callaway X-forged 4-PW Dynamic Gold S300
Callaway X-Forged Wedge (52)Wilson Staff Tw5 56 and 60 degree wedgesNike BC-101 putter (33.5 inches)

Note: This thread is 6375 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!