IGNORED

Is UK golf that much different than in the US?

The Turlock Kid
Note: This thread is 6384 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Forgive me, all of you from the UK or who have played in the UK, but I have never been there. I'd love to go one day.

Is golf played that much different on that side of the pond? I've heard the courses have less trees (i.e. Scottish courses), have more sandy soil, have a deeper rough, and have more mammoth bunkers. Is any of this true?

For people from the UK, what differences have you noticed when you've played over here? (course, casual players, or whatever)

Just something I thought might be interesting to learn about.

Happy Thanksgiving everyone.
"Hit 'em hard - they'll land somewhere." - Stewart Maiden

In the Bag:

Driver: R480, 10.5*, Graphite5 Wood: R540 XD, 17.5*, GraphiteIrons: Big Bertha 4-10 + GW, SSWedge: 56*, Chrome, SSPutter: White HotBall: HX Hot

you mean other then the constant rain??

Driver: Taylor Made R7 425 9.5° TP Stiff
Fairway: Taylor Made V-Steel #3 w/Fujikura Rombax Stiff
Irons: Taylor Made rac LT 4-PW shaft; Rifle Flighted 6.0
Wedges: Tayor Made rac 52° 56° 60°Utility: Taylor Made Rescue TP #3 (Aldila NV Hybid 85g Stiff)Putter: Scotty...

There are less "American Style" courses - which is what they refer to the perfectly manicured courses with wide open fairways and lots of bunkers around the greens.

Courses here tend to be aggregated into:

1. Links courses - built between beach and land - ie on the area "linking" land and sea. They are usually devoid of trees and the rough is left to grow without cutting back. Because of the sea air, you do not get massive fast growth. Typified with deep pot bunker and dune areas. Typified by St Andrews, Carnoustie, Hoylake
2. Heathland courses - built inland with fewer trees. Fairways usually lined with gorse and bushes as opposed to trees. More manicured than links, but not as much as parkland. http://www.camberleyheathgolfclub.co.uk/
3. Parkland courses - tree lined fairways, narrower fairways (usually) typical of Wentworth as per World Matchplay.
4. American Style Parkland - as you are more familiar with such as http://www.bearwoodlakes.co.uk/hm/hm.aspx

See here http://www.top100golfcourses.co.uk

As an ex-South African living and playing in the UK and used to hot weather, the weather in the south of England is not all that bad end of March-end of December. Jan/Feb are a bit miserable and cold....but the type of courses here are adapted to the weather.

Come over....

Note: This thread is 6384 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!