IGNORED

Ideas and thoughts on Driver and shaft

Note: This thread is 4835 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

1-Never Owned a golf Driver the ones I used were that of the Small club drivers of the 1980 ?.steel shafts ..at the range

2-Well I was fortunate  to get a few swings at golf shop that has 2 golf simulator stations For free.Mentioned the looking for a driver gave me a driver to test ..Swing speed was averaged out  99 mph 7 swings dint bother to look at What type of driver club head or shaft

3- gave me a brief update said 9.5 degree loft stiff to regular flex.It wasn't really a club fitting type of session but it was for free.

Learning on the fly here as I speak.A Lot of you tube learning

1- bigger head 460cc more drag were does the compensation come from is the shaft?

2-should I look for a shaft that has more torque.Mcllroy uses a ROMBAX 7VO5 SHAFT.X flex specs say 46length 70g 3.6 torque.

Titleist 910d2

reason i example Mcllroy because of his Height and weight I am around his parameters.So body type must come into play also.

Thanks in advance who ever replies

Originally Posted by Phil Ben Graeme

1-Never Owned a golf Driver the ones I used were that of the Small club drivers of the 1980 ?.steel shafts ..at the range

2-Well I was fortunate  to get a few swings at golf shop that has 2 golf simulator stations For free.Mentioned the looking for a driver gave me a driver to test ..Swing speed was averaged out  99 mph 7 swings dint bother to look at What type of driver club head or shaft

3- gave me a brief update said 9.5 degree loft stiff to regular flex.It wasn't really a club fitting type of session but it was for free.

Learning on the fly here as I speak.A Lot of you tube learning

1- bigger head 460cc more drag were does the compensation come from is the shaft?

2-should I look for a shaft that has more torque.Mcllroy uses a ROMBAX 7VO5 SHAFT.X flex specs say 46length 70g 3.6 torque.

Titleist 910d2

reason i example Mcllroy because of his Height and weight I am around his parameters.So body type must come into play also.

Thanks in advance who ever replies

Just becuase Rory has a similar build to you means nothing. He is using that shaft because he has a very precise tour level swing in excess of 120mph. He had been custom fitted for his shaft, and it fits his swing profile and launch conditions.

As you are a "driving range junky" your launch conditions and swing profile are very different from a top tour pro. To get the most out of a new driver, go to the golf shop and get fitted for a shaft. By the looks of it (at 99mph ss) you would need a stiff flex. That's about all anyone here can tell you, we don't know your launch condtions or anything else about your driver swing. We don't even know your playing ability or if you can even consistently hit a ball with a driver. There are so much more to shafts than just flex, and the wrong shaft can really mess up your tee shots. Go back to the golf store and ask them about shafts. When you buy a new driver, they often fit you for free.

Driver: taylormade.gif R9 Superdeep TP 8.5* - Aldila RIP 70x | 3-Wood: taylormade.gif R9 TP 15* - Diamana Blueboard 83x | Hybrid: taylormade.gif Rescue TP 19* - Motore F3 95x | Irons: taylormade.gif RAC TP MB 3-PW - Dynamic Gold x100 | Wedges: taylormade.gif TP xFT 54.12* and 60.10* - Dynamic Gold s400 | Putter:  ping.gif Karsten Anser - 33"

Check your swing speed, ball speed, etc...

Dont just play what a "pro" plays. Get fitted for your game, not his!

Sounds like your a bit older, I would almost 100% say you definitely DO NOT want an X flex shaft. Youre probably just a regular flex.

Try everything out until you find something that feels great!

In my Ogio bag.

Titleist 910D2 driver, Adams irons & hybrid, Callaway wedges & a Nike Method putter.

And a yellow ball.

The great irony of life: "If nobody gets out alive, what's holding you back!?"

Don't get me wrong ,I trying to find out what Characteristics  to look for in a shaft.I used Rory as example because trying to figure out does his high torque specs on a shaft of  driver add some speed to your swing through impact.What does torque do for a shaft,I will end up googling anyways and what length should get and so forth

Also I am trying get much information I can Through  you tube and forums like this.I am going to get fitted no doubt

Originally Posted by SVTGolfer

Check your swing speed, ball speed, etc...

Dont just play what a "pro" plays. Get fitted for your game, not his!

Sounds like your a bit older, I would almost 100% say you definitely DO NOT want an X flex shaft. Youre probably just a regular flex.

Try everything out until you find something that feels great!

Of course no doubt  I am not getting what pro tour players use .Just interseted in why ?

Here is a good video that explains why getting your driver shaft properly fitted is important, and why you can't really just take a guess about flex etc. based on your swing speed.

Also, as a very general rule, most people probably play too little loft in their drivers. My own opinion (take it for what it's worth) is that many average golfers would do better with a 10.5 than a 9.5 head as a point of departure.

Stretch.

"In the process of trial and error, our failed attempts are meant to destroy arrogance and provoke humility." -- Master Jin Kwon

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

No offense, but I think you may be over thinking it too much. Swing speed will mostly determine what shaft flex you get. When youre a single digit handicap or can really shape the ball all the other stuff doesn't really matter that much. Trial and error is how you kinda figure out what REALLY works. For me I tried several shafts and the UST shaft is my preference. Aldilla is nice too, but UST seemed less whippy for me.

In my Ogio bag.

Titleist 910D2 driver, Adams irons & hybrid, Callaway wedges & a Nike Method putter.

And a yellow ball.

The great irony of life: "If nobody gets out alive, what's holding you back!?"

None taken.

Reviews for Maxfli drivers have been favorable and some say for the price it holds up on its own compared to 300 dollar driver.What made me think twice is it the club-head or the shaft.The cons with this driver it wears out quick.the club-head face that is.I have Maxfli iron set low and be hold The Hybrid Irons 4 and 5 Pro force v2 UST shaft The driver if i recall has the same color pattern as my iron hybrids.Trial and Error though is the way to go I agree.I be at golf simulator tomorrow maybe they will have 2011 driver demos available

Originally Posted by Stretch

Here is a good video that explains why getting your driver shaft properly fitted is important, and why you can't really just take a guess about flex etc. based on your swing speed.

Also, as a very general rule, most people probably play too little loft in their drivers. My own opinion (take it for what it's worth) is that many average golfers would do better with a 10.5 than a 9.5 head as a point of departure.

Finally  view it excellent find.don't know why couldn't snuff this out on you tube but oh well..

Note: This thread is 4835 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!