IGNORED

what is the role of right hand?

vman28
Note: This thread is 6369 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Hi, everyone. I am fairly new to golf started in june of this year.And absolutley love the game. I went through several swing variations but finaly got some consitency with hitting straighter shots. My swing is based on left hand dooing everything, taking it back to swinging through. There is no great distance in my swing i can drive on average 230y 7-iron between 145-165( weird). so when i go for that extra distance and bring my right hand and wrist into equation everything gets messed up (hook). So my question is how do you reales the club and whats the role of right hand in relese? BTW i relese by flipping my left wrist like in five lessons by hogan. Thanks for the advice

My swing is based on left hand dooing everything, taking it back to swinging through. There is no great distance in my swing i can drive on average 230y 7-iron between 145-165( weird). so when i go for that extra distance and bring my right hand and wrist into equation everything gets messed up (hook). So my question is how do you reales the club and whats the role of right hand in relese? BTW i relese by flipping my left wrist like in five lessons by hogan. Thanks for the advice

Sounds like you've actually got the basics down pretty well. The role of the right hand in the golf swing is really just to serve as a guide and a provider of stability for the left hand. When you try to bring your right hand into the equation, you are manipulating the clubhead so that it moves off the swing plane and you probably are bringing in more of your right arm than you realize as well - thus creating some type of over-the-top motion and subsequently a hook.

Your extra distance is going to come primarily from 3 things: 1. your ability to synchronize your upper body turn against a stable and relatively motionless lower body (this creates resistance) 2. your ability to hold the angle formed by your left arm and the shaft of the club as long as possible in the downswing (this is the "lag" that you hear about and it also creates resistance) 3. your ability to consistently hit the center of the clubface. Practicing #1, and to an extent #2, will increase your chances of #3. And remember resistance = built up energy = clubhead speed = distance. Good luck!
In My Bag:
Driver: Titleist 983K 9.5°, Harmon HTD CB-65R
3-Wood: Mizuno MP-001, 13°, Harrison Striper Titanium
Hybrid 1: TaylorMade Rescue Mid TP, 16°
Hybrid 2: TaylorMade Rescue Mid TP, 19°Irons: Ping S59 Tour 4-PWWedges: Mizuno Black Nickel 51.06 / Cleveland Black Pearl 58.08Putter:...

Thank you, right after i read you reply i went downstairs to swing and realized that the wrist cock dissapeared right about hip evel so i figured id hold it till the end. I t remains to be seen at range today i will post any improvment. The only respectable distance out of my driver (titleist 975 j 8.5) happend only if i hinged my wrist back John Daly style all the way back, but i hit it this way 1 out 10 times, however it does go long. Thank you once again every little bit helps

Thank you, right after i read you reply i went downstairs to swing and realized that the wrist cock dissapeared right about hip evel so i figured id hold it till the end. I t remains to be seen at range today i will post any improvment. The only respectable distance out of my driver (titleist 975 j 8.5) happend only if i hinged my wrist back John Daly style all the way back, but i hit it this way 1 out 10 times, however it does go long. Thank you once again every little bit helps

No problem, and good luck. Just remember that overswinging (i.e. John Daly style) can easily throw you out of balance and off plane real quick unless you're extraordinarily coordinated. You'll see a much larger improvement if you're able to maintain your base in the swing. Try putting a beach ball or something larger than a basketball between your knees and hitting balls. That will force your lower half to remain calm and you should really be able to feel the resistance build up in your turn on the inner portion of your right leg. There will be a tendency to let your knee straighten out, but just remember that your back leg is the foundation of the golf swing and it absolutely needs to remain flexed at all times during the backswing.

One other note on the wrist-cock - take a look at some swing sequences of professionals and watch how they hold that angle. It's difficult to do for a lot of amateurs (I know I can't hold it for too long) but it'll give you an idea what I'm talking about. If you drill yourself by doing some half-swings (top of the backswing -> halfway back to the ball) you should feel yourself sort of jabbing the butt of the club into the back of the ball. That will give you the feeling of holding that angle and keeping the club on the proper path. You also mentioned that your driver is 8.5 degrees. If you're only hitting it 230'ish off the tee, you will likely benefit from a higher lofted driver (9.5 or 10.5) and properly fitted shaft. I'd look into visiting a pro that can properly fit you and you should see some decent gains via that route.
In My Bag:
Driver: Titleist 983K 9.5°, Harmon HTD CB-65R
3-Wood: Mizuno MP-001, 13°, Harrison Striper Titanium
Hybrid 1: TaylorMade Rescue Mid TP, 16°
Hybrid 2: TaylorMade Rescue Mid TP, 19°Irons: Ping S59 Tour 4-PWWedges: Mizuno Black Nickel 51.06 / Cleveland Black Pearl 58.08Putter:...

Thanks for the tips, I guess sooner or later i'll have to get fitting since my curent irons have a very high trajectory wich is probably a cause in loseing some distance with them. I have another driver with 10 loft and that one does'nt go as far as my titleist wich i had shortened to 43.5 inches and it makes the sweetest sound when you hit the sweet spot i just love it.
As far as passive lower body i certanly feel and do so with exception that i can distinctly feel my right knee kicking inwards and toward the ball during the downswing. thank you very much for the tips

I think the right hand has alot more to do with the swing. I use it to square the club right before impact which creates more distance and backspin, and then through the swing i roll it over towards the target which gives me more accuracy and a slight draw. In short, when i use my right hand i tend to get the clubface to the ball and have crisper, better struck balls.

"Mulligan: invented by an Irishman who wanted to hit one more twenty yard grounder." -Jim Bishop

I think the right hand has alot more to do with the swing. I use it to square the club right before impact which creates more distance and backspin, and then through the swing i roll it over towards the target which gives me more accuracy and a slight draw. In short, when i use my right hand i tend to get the clubface to the ball and have crisper, better struck balls.

I feel you use the foreams to turn the hands, if I conciously try to rotate my hands, extra tension is introduced making timing is difficult. Put your arms out and hold your forearm. You really can't rotate your hands that much. Use just your forearm and more rotation is possible, use both? excessive and I feel big hooks a sure result.

1W Cleveland LauncherComp 10.5, 3W Touredge Exotics 15 deg.,FY Wilson 19.5 degree
4 and 5H, 6I-GW Callaway Razr, SW, LW Cleveland Cg-14, Putter Taylor Made Suzuka, Ball, Srixon XV Yellow

Note: This thread is 6369 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!