IGNORED

About to make a putter from scratch !!

Note: This thread is 3956 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Okay !

I´m about to make a putter, starting from scratch...

First my thought was to make it from plane aluminum and zinc but then there was a little problems with the CT-machines so i ended to maybe more nicer way. Its going to be wooden, and the sweetspot ofcourse is some metal (or should it be hardwood?).

Here is some designs i found from internet, but the design is going to be my own ofcourse

http://www.mustyputters.net/

http://www.andersonwoodworking.com/newpage2.htm

So I was wonderin if anyone has any experience about homemade putter or other homemade colf clubs ?

And other thing what I was thinkin is that how "wide" and "deep" people like their putter to be ?

In my nike.gif bag:

Driver:  nike.gif Sumo2 SQ 5900
Irons:  callaway.gif  X-14 steelhead
Putter:wilson.gif ProStaff 2Balls: callaway.gif  srixon.gif  topflite.gif  bridgestone.gif  nike.gif  titleist.gif all kinds 

check out louisvillegolf  for some ideas as well

• Upvote 1

Don

In the bag:

Driver: PING 410 Plus 9 degrees, Alta CB55 S  Fairway: Callaway Rogue 3W PX Even Flow Blue 6.0; Hybrid: Titleist 818H1 21* PX Even Flow Blue 6.0;  Irons: Titleist 718 AP1 5-W2(53*) Shafts- TT AMT Red S300 ; Wedges Vokey SM8 56-10D Putter: Scotty Cameron 2016 Newport 2.5  Ball: Titleist AVX or 2021 ProV1

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Originally Posted by dbuck

check out louisvillegolf  for some ideas as well

Okay, thanks :)

In my nike.gif bag:

Putter:wilson.gif ProStaff 2Balls: callaway.gif  srixon.gif  topflite.gif  bridgestone.gif  nike.gif  titleist.gif all kinds 

Yould could get some thick 1095, 5160, or W2 steel.  Have it annealed or anneal it yourself and use hand files and shape it.  Once it is shaped hand sand it to around 400 grit and send it off for heat treatment/Termper.  OOOOH I have some ideas now...

• Upvote 1

Did you mean that the steel would be for sweetspot or the whole putter from steel ??

I´m about to make my sweetspot from Cycolac or some hard wood like Jarrah

In my nike.gif bag:

i'm doing the same thing.  i have some teak that i'll epoxy together and just leave the face teak.  softer feel. i'm looking for some brass to use either on the sole or inside the head for weight.  i'm also thinking of making the sole like the callaway tuttle, sorta keel like rather than flat.

i was at Louisville Golf last November and picked up some freeby reject putter and wood heads.  they're in a basket by the door, help yourself!

since this is YOUR putter make it as wide or narrow and deep or shallow as YOU want. to heck with everyone else!

• Upvote 1

KZG Gemini 9* Aldila Proto By You
Leyland COPlasma 3wd
Golfsmith Q4 19*
Louisville HyLofter 24*
Wishon 770CFEs w/Nippons
Alpha P2 wedges
Louisville EWP putter

Originally Posted by tweaky

i'm doing the same thing.  i have some teak that i'll epoxy together and just leave the face teak.  softer feel. i'm looking for some brass to use either on the sole or inside the head for weight.  i'm also thinking of making the sole like the callaway tuttle, sorta keel like rather than flat.

i was at Louisville Golf last November and picked up some freeby reject putter and wood heads.  they're in a basket by the door, help yourself!

since this is YOUR putter make it as wide or narrow and deep or shallow as YOU want. to heck with everyone else!

Cool that someone else is doing this too

Yesterday when i got my design allmos accomplished (to a point where the shape can be still changed and other stuff), I undestanded that i was a little too exited generating an idea of the putter ben made of expencive wood like cocombolo and others.  So maybe i should start thinking something more cheap options

Good idea actually that wooden face/insert...  It ofcourse would make the feeling softer...    Have to think about it But don´t worry i don´t steal your ideas

And bytheway that "tuttle" shape looks kinda cool, and thinkin it like a wooden putter... NICE      But my shape is going to be a little more roundy but still nice looking :)

In my nike.gif bag:

i've been practicing on some other old wood clubs and blocks of cheap wood to "hone" my skills before i try the final product. i think the tricky part will be building it so that the balance (face balance vs heel/toe balance) and shaft angle in the hosel are right.  i know we can bend them to the proper loft and lie angle so that concern is not a big deal.  i now that once i'm finished i'll want to make another different design!

good luck with yours!!

KZG Gemini 9* Aldila Proto By You
Leyland COPlasma 3wd
Golfsmith Q4 19*
Louisville HyLofter 24*
Wishon 770CFEs w/Nippons
Alpha P2 wedges
Louisville EWP putter

Originally Posted by tweaky

i've been practicing on some other old wood clubs and blocks of cheap wood to "hone" my skills before i try the final product. i think the tricky part will be building it so that the balance (face balance vs heel/toe balance) and shaft angle in the hosel are right.  i know we can bend them to the proper loft and lie angle so that concern is not a big deal.  i now that once i'm finished i'll want to make another different design!

good luck with yours!!

Yea I´m going to do couple prototypes, from some cheap wood so the final product would be as good as it could bee :)

In my nike.gif bag:

am definitely looking forward to the results..goodluck and post some pictures of your progress!

Driver taylormade.gif SLDR 12* Stiff Shaft Set Neutral
Woods- 4 Wood taylormade.gif R9 X-Stiff
Irons- adams.gif A3 Idea Steel Shaft
Wedges- Cleveland CG12 60* and 52*

Putter- Rife Antigua Island 31.5" with XL Grip

Originally Posted by Hakalanlate

Did you mean that the steel would be for sweetspot or the whole putter from steel ??

I´m about to make my sweetspot from Cycolac or some hard wood like Jarrah

Oh sorry I meant the whole putter head from steel.  I am seriously thinking about trying it, but the cost of 1084 or 1095 steel these days.... and heat treating a piece that thick.. uggh..  Might be a fun project this summer to work on.  Good luck on your putter, cant wait to see the results.

• 2 years later...
Hey guys a read this post a month ago Since i am already putting with a wooden putter , y not make my own Took a lot of pictures will post the final product in à week or so ;-) But so far so Good

Note: This thread is 3956 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!