IGNORED

Are commentators trying to throw us off?

TXjammer
Note: This thread is 4795 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

1. 1. Do you think PGA commentators stretch the truth a bit?

• Yes
    • No
    • Never really thought about it.
    • Who cares?

I think there is some exaggeration but I don't think its extreme.  What I do think is that they often "overlook" the guy from 180 who only carried the ball 160 and got another 10-15 yards of roll on the green which gives him that 15 footer for birdie.  They play on very fast greens which adds a lot of distance to shots that is easily overlooked.  Most times they are firm, too so they get even more distance out of them.  I may be forgetful but I just don't recall a lot of guys putting shots from 160 out right on the pin...they start putting shots on the pin from about 140 and in.

My philosophy on golf "We're not doing rocket science, here."

Originally Posted by Paradox

I think there is some exaggeration but I don't think its extreme.  What I do think is that they often "overlook" the guy from 180 who only carried the ball 160 and got another 10-15 yards of roll on the green which gives him that 15 footer for birdie.  They play on very fast greens which adds a lot of distance to shots that is easily overlooked.  Most times they are firm, too so they get even more distance out of them.  I may be forgetful but I just don't recall a lot of guys putting shots from 160 out right on the pin...they start putting shots on the pin from about 140 and in.

For the most part, it's not extreme, just noticable.  Some commentators are worse than others..don't know their names right of the bat, but they really throw out some fluff.

It could be similar to other professional athletes exaggerating their height and weights and speeds.  Usually they exagerate the height especially.  My gf works in a hospital in charlotte and met Michael jordan the other day and he's definitely not 6'6

Driver: adams.gif Speedline 9032LS RIP Shaft (Stiff)

3 Wood: adams.gif Oviation 3Wood

Hybrids: taylormade.gif Rescue 18* 3H - 22* 4H

Irons: callaway.gif X-24 Hot Irons 5-PW

Wedges: cleveland.gif CG15 52, 56

Putter: odyssey.gif PT 82

Ball:  e6

I think it's clear that they often do.  Really just doing their jobs I guess-it's more important to the network, the broadcast, and golf that the viewer is constantly impressed by the pros than it is that they tell us with 100% accuracy what they're hitting.  I'm not saying they do it all the time, but I've seen on more than a few occasions a different number on the iron than what the announcer just told me was being hit.  And sometimes you can tell that they're speculating, didn't get the signal from the caddy or whoever, and the speculations tend to lean towards the pro hitting less club.

It doesn't really impress me one way or the other in regards to distance, I'm really only concerned/impressed with the pros' ability to hit the exact distance they want, with a certain ball shape, on a certain trajectory, etc.  That stuff impresses the hell out of me.  It's funny how there's a little burst of excitement when a pro has an approach to the green, announcers say "he's going to hit a 6 iron here," and I think "Cool!  I'd hit a 6 too."  Then they proceed to stuff it 6 feet from the hole and I'm forced to acknowledge that I'd probably have hit a weak push fade into the bunker.

The truth is if a pro wanted to they could have their clubs numbered so that the each club was matched up with one club higher.  The 9 iron is really 8 iron specs etc.  After all specs are already all over the place.  I seem to remember Wischon clubs had the option of ordering one of their sets that way at one time.  It would be a hoot play with my regular group and suddenly be one club longer.  I think we are buying into the how far instead of how many.  The quality of the shot and the result is what matters.  We all say this, but distance envy seems hard to resist.

1W Cleveland LauncherComp 10.5, 3W Touredge Exotics 15 deg.,FY Wilson 19.5 degree
4 and 5H, 6I-GW Callaway Razr, SW, LW Cleveland Cg-14, Putter Taylor Made Suzuka, Ball, Srixon XV Yellow

Note: This thread is 4795 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!