IGNORED

Loving the 2.0 Taylormade Irons!!!

Note: This thread is 4779 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Originally Posted by jclifton

I just read the GolfTest 2011 in Golf Magazine. The Burner 2.0 were described as having "optimal gapping" of 12 yards between clubs.

Plasma, have you noticed pretty even gapping in your yardage such as this?

I am thinking about some new irons myself. I have been leaning toward Miz JPX 800's but the Burner's sound interesting too.

Yes, I have... about 13 to 15 for me.... Pretty close to that on the short and mid irons... The 3 and 4 i have about 20 yard gap.. Not sure why? I think it may be me being inconsistant with the 3 iron.. It is long and i am still learning a feel for it.. The 3 iron on the first day of use i was ripping it about 220.. I am up to 230 with the 3 now and with the 4 i am just at 200 yrds now.. So i am still feeling them out but for me, what i am liking best is i do not have to rip them for those distances.. They have helped me be more consistant across the game..

I switched from the JPX 800's to these, and the 2.0's are much much better for me, make sure you definitely get fitted!!!!

Originally Posted by jclifton

I just read the GolfTest 2011 in Golf Magazine. The Burner 2.0 were described as having "optimal gapping" of 12 yards between clubs.

Plasma, have you noticed pretty even gapping in your yardage such as this?

I am thinking about some new irons myself. I have been leaning toward Miz JPX 800's but the Burner's sound interesting too.

DB:

Tell us more about why you switched from the to Mizuno 800s to the burners.  I looked at the Mizunos and thought that they might be the first set of really new, expensive clubs I purchased in years, but I need to demo them.  I have heard nothing but good about the 2.0s, but I am uncomfortable with the thicker top line.  I fall into the typical conundrum of wanting a thin top line club from a look standpoint, but not quite having the game to back it up!

I also think the extra length usually makes a club a little hard for me to swing consistently, have you found that a problem at all?

My Stuff:
Taylormade Supertri - 10.5    Taylormade Burner - 15.0
Taylormade Rescues - 19 and 22    Nickent Rescue - 26
Alpha RX-1 -  6 - pw     Ping - 50  Taylormade - 54    Callaway - 58 
Cameron Studio Design 5     Taylormade Pentas  

That's why I'm advising you to get fitted. I got fitted for the Mizunos and even though I hit them great, I got fitted for a tour pro shaft, and I was miserable for 3-5 rounds of play. Finally , I gave up, tried the 2.0's and with their stock Stiff shaft, was killing them. I hit a 5 iron 198 yards today, which is ridiculous for me. I'm loving them more and more as I get used to them, but I definitely won't take anything away from the Mizuno's, I just felt like Golfsmith didn't want to help me get them re-fitted, so I decided to go with my second choice, the 2.0's. So glad I Switched!!! They added an extra .25" to the clubs, and I can't tell you how much that affected my game in a negative way. Now I definitely know what I need, but Im going to keep these 2.0's for a while now.

I just ordered a set of Burner 2.0's last week.  I have been playing a set of Tommy Armour 845's that my Dad got me in 8th grade(I'm 25 now).  I finally had what I thought to be enough money set aside, for the specific purpose of buying a new set of irons.  I had planned on a set of irons in the $500-$700 range.  I went to Golf Galaxy(I know, I know, but I'm a long ways away from my local golf shop that I feel comfortable with) and hit the Mizuno JPX-800's, Titleist AP1 710's, Ping G-15's and Burner 2.0's.  I narrowed it down to the Titleist's and Burners before I got the PGA Pro to get started fitting me(first time being fit for clubs as well).

I knew about the stronger lofts when I started researching a new set of irons, so I didn't put too much stock into the 20 yards more I was getting out of the Burner vs the Titleist, but I was shocked by the differences in the mishits.  The Titleist was a full 15-20 yards shorter on off-center hits whereas the Burner was no more than 8 yards shorter on my bad shots.

The forgiveness is what sold me on the Burners.

It was funny, to me at least, that the PGA pro there didn't know about the differences in the lofts.  He asked me what wedges I had in my bag and I told him that I carried a 52 and 56.  To which he replied, "well, then you won't need the Approach Wedge, since you already have a 52 degree wedge."  I understand he was trying to save me some money, but the AW is 50 degrees in this set, not 51 or 52, so that would have left me a little bit bigger gap than I wanted between the 45 degree PW and my 52.  That just reminded my why I avoid GG for the most part anymore.

Anyways, I have a fitted set on their way, hopefully they'll be here sometime next week.  I had to get them a touch longer(another half inch on top of the already longer shafts) and 1 degree upright.  I also had them put midsize grips on, since thats what I've used for at least the past 5 years now and the standards just felt tiny(almost smaller than other standards?).

Head over to the equipment section and put in a review if you haven't!  Glad to hear they are working out for you.  I looked at these as well, but the Callaway X-24's just worked better for me for some reason.

Note: This thread is 4779 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!