IGNORED

Nike Ball Challenge

Note: This thread is 4838 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Regardless of which hobby I'm obsessing over at the time I like to review, test and compare equipment. I've been playing the Nike One Tour D ball for the last month or so and wanted to try the new 20XI when it was released. I bought a box of the 20XI-X the other day and tried it out this past weekend. With that said, using the Nike ball fit guide on their website it comes up with the One Vapor Speed, after answering the questions. So, this afternoon I went and bought a box of the Vapor Speed.

I haven't had my swing speed checked but I hit my 7-iron 160-165 yds and my driver 240-270 and have been tracking my handicap with a app on my iPhone over the last 10 or so rounds and it's at 16.3 right now. I hope to have it down to single digits by the end of summer.

My plan over the next few weeks is to play these 3 balls to determine which fits my game better and share my experience. What I like about each ball as well as what I dislike. Of course it will be all objective, even another player with the same handicap and the same swing speed may get different results, so keep that in mind while reading this thread. For those interested, subscribe to the thread and enjoy the ride.

P5230997.JPG

• 2 weeks later...

My internet has been out for almost a week so I haven't been able to do any updates. The test is going pretty well. The first round I played I played 6 holes with each ball, 3 holes at a time. I tracked my driving distance, the Vapor lead the way with 252 average and the other 2 were a little behind at about 230 average each. I played 9 yesterday with the 20XI and tracked my drives and had a 242 average. The 20XI does feels hard off the driver on off center hits, I guess it's not compressing as well when not hit good.

The switching balls is probably not a good idea, so I'll start play a full round with each ball and tracking each ball that way. I'm playing RTJ's Hampton Cove today and I plan on playing the Vapor Speed.

Stay tuned...

After yesterday's round with the Vapor Speed, I don't think it's going to take too much more testing to figure out which one fits. Average driving close to 260 with 2 drives just over 280 and it feels good on all shots. Full wedge shots it spins just as well as the other balls, shorter shots around the green maybe not so much, but still not too bad.

I was so wanting to like the 20XI, but I'm afraid it don't like my game. Other than the round where I switched balls every three holes, I started a round with the 20XI but only played about 9 holes before switching ball because I was getting frustrated that I felt like I was hitting the ball good but it wasn't going anywhere. I'm going to try to use it for at least one more round before throwing in the towel on the 20XI.

I guess since the Tour D balls have basically been "discontinued" and replaced by the 20XI, I shouldn't start liking them too much not knowing how much longer I'll be able to get them. The few rounds I played with the Tour D before starting this thread I really like it, but now after playing the Vapor Speed, they play really close with the tour D maybe spinning just a bit more around the greens.

I have a box of Vapors not the Vapor speed and do notice my drives are a bit longer then the PRO V1s and V1x as well.  It also checks very nice on the greens well probably very comparable to the V1x model.  I do like the Vapors alot...Too bad I didn't buy another dozen when golfsmith had them for $14.99...

ogio.gif Black/White Ozone Stand bag, Caddytek 13.5 Black/Red Push Cart

taylormade.gif RBZ Tour 9* Stiff / ping.gifRapture 3 'metal' Titanium 14* Stiff Aldila Proto VS 'By You'
adams.gif Hybrid A2 20*3 hybrid Stiff Aldila VS / ping.gifRapture Black Dot 4-PW Stiff / cleveland.gifWedges CG11 54* SW / taylormade.gif RAC 52*, 58*Wedge / odyssey.gif  33" White Hot XG

I played a couple more rounds this weekend with the Vapor Speed and the Tour D. For me these two balls play almost identical, equal distance from the tee and similar spin around the green. The biggest difference I have found is the Vapor Speed comes off the putter softer. Maybe softer is really not the right word but I guess it's inconsistant off the putter. Allowing for putts that are slightly mis-hit, the Vapor speed seems like it comes off soft sometimes. The Tour D doesn't do that, it putts true on every hit.

Maybe that's part of reason one is twice as expensive as the other, don't know, but that's some thoughts from this weekend.

I also have only played the Vapor and One Tour D, and consider the One Tour D to be one of the best balls for my game.  Feel is great, distance is what I expect, and durability has been very good.

Since the One Tour D is still available through the recycle stores (although pickings have been slim), I will continue to purchase when available at a decent rate, and bypass the 20XI for the time being.

Been playing the 20XI(s) for the last two rounds and have to say that this ball is staying in my bag till something better comes along. it is long, it spins great off of irons and is significantly more durable than a ProV1 (either regular or X), bridgestones or callaway i(s,z's) i was playing...absolutely LOVE this golf ball.

In my Titleist 2014 9.5" Staff bag:

Cobra Bio+ 9* Matrix White Tie X  - Taylormade SLDR 15* ATTAS 80X - Titleist 910H 19* ATTAS 100X - Taylormade '13 TP MC 4-PW PX 6.5 - Vokey TVD M 50* DG TI X100 - Vokey SM4 55 / Vokey SM5 60* DG TI S400 - Piretti Potenza II 365g

Is it just me or whenever you see the RZN Core it makes you think "raisin core"?  I always picture the ball as being a big white raisin.

Currently in the Grom: Driver: Ping G15 13.5;  Woods: Adams XTD 5W 18.5, TM R11 7w 22; Hybrids: Cleveland Mashie M4 and M5; Irons: Mizuno JPX800 w/Nippon NSPro950 S;  Wedges: CG16 48* CG15 52* CG15DSG 56*;  Putter: Rife 2bar hybrid mallet Ball: Callaway Hex Chrome

• 2 weeks later...

Still going back and forth between the Tour D and the Vapor Speed. I really like both balls and overall I like the Tour D best. Unless I'm playing on a course with really fast greens I don't like the way the Vapor Speed putts. I've even been playing with the Vapor Speed and then putting with the tour D. Problem now is not knowing how much longer the tour D will be available. I think it's time to expand the ball search.

• 3 weeks later...

I've expanded my ball search. I tried some NXT tour, really like this ball, good all around performance. My last 2 rounds have been with the Bridgeston e6. Feels goods off the driver, love the feel and distance off my irons but putting is just so-so, the cover has a plastic feel off the putter. Tomorrow I plan to try the Bridgestone B330-RXS. I messaged the guys at Bridgestone and gave them some details about my swing and what I've been using and what I liked and dis-liked and they recommended the B330-RXS. Granted it's the top of the line ball and probably their go-to recommendation, I'll see how it plays tomorrow.

I've just about decided that I am willing to give up some driving distance to get great feel off my irons and a ball that putts good.

Note: This thread is 4838 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!