IGNORED

Hinge and still holding concerns...

Note: This thread is 4103 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Originally Posted by golfjunky0331

Not sure what you mean by diff strokes, the pendulum stroke is pretty puch just a pivot with dead hands... Kind of pelz and utley combination.

That means, different strokes for different folks, i.e.. we all do things a little bit differently to achieve similar goals.

Ping G400 Max 9/TPT Shaft, TEE EX10 Beta 4, 5 wd, PXG 22 HY, Mizuno JPX919F 5-GW, TItleist SM7 Raw 55-09, 59-11, Bettinardi BB39

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Mr. desmond, So I started trying the utley chipping style... Completely diff from peltz method and I like it with the square stance. Still waiting on mickelson dvd's but was curious if you use both styles, from what I see both use a hinge and hold method one with a closed stance and one open, also the bunker techniques seem a little diff, have you tried both of these methods and which was easier.

I love the hinge and hold method. it's just like the flying wedge... hold the wedge, and the hinge comes from the front hand. the wedge is the hold, the lead hand is the hinge.

Driver: 10.5* callaway Razr Hawk Tour - 350 yards(usually into the wind, it can be windy here. at least 400 with a little wind behind me)

Hybrids: 2 and 3 callaway Hybrid razr tour (312 and 287 respectively)

Irons: 3i-10i callaway forged standard length(278, 263, 250, 235, 221, 213, 201, 190)

Wedges: callaway jaws cc 52* 12 approach, 56* 16 sand, 60* 13 lob (0-185)

Odyssey Black tour #9 putter(5 ft, i'm always at least within 5 feet on my approach shot)

I wonder who on this forum is a PGA tour pro, disguised as a normal player.. 

2013: play in the US amateur qualifier

Originally Posted by golfjunky0331

Mr. desmond,

So I started trying the utley chipping style... Completely diff from peltz method and I like it with the square stance. Still waiting on mickelson dvd's but was curious if you use both styles, from what I see both use a hinge and hold method one with a closed stance and one open, also the bunker techniques seem a little diff, have you tried both of these methods and which was easier.

I flare my feet open as I think it helps open the hips on a short, slow swing.

I'm incorporating more Utley, athough it may be similar to what Phil does, in terms of a pivot. If I tuck my butt on the downswing, it keeps the center going forward (shoulders do not go back). The extent of the hinging is different between the two. Phil hinges big time. Also, Utley speeds up the pivot instead of taking a bigger swing.

As to bunker play, there are differences. Utley likens it to whipping your club like a beach towel - I think with that image, he is trying to get you to open up the bounce.

I've been transitioning my full swing to center pivot over the last year, so admittedly, I've gotten away from the fine points of my short game, which was once the best part of my game. Like you, I am using the winter/spring to discover what works for me ... again.

Ping G400 Max 9/TPT Shaft, TEE EX10 Beta 4, 5 wd, PXG 22 HY, Mizuno JPX919F 5-GW, TItleist SM7 Raw 55-09, 59-11, Bettinardi BB39

Funny you mention about flaring your feet, as I was having trouble with a new set of fitted clubs a month ago I went out to local par 3 & 4 course to try a new method I read about in which you flare the feet. I also was using the stack and tilt method. Anyway, I hit some of the straightest shots I've ever hit in my life and I think mostly it was due to the flaring of the feet. From what I can guess, with me anyway, by having both feet flared it helps me turn on my backswing easier as well as an easier follow through. I've tried it on the short shots as well and have had much success. As for the tilt and stack, I favor weight on my front foot through the entire swing which ensures my weight shift and that the face compresses the ball. Not the traditional style but worse case I've seen is that I have a slight draw which I will take all day long over a push or a fade. As with the utley mentality, with this same stack and tilt type swing and with weight on the front foot, I feel his technique is very much like a mini version of my full swing. That of course is my personal interpretation.

Just finished watching the Mickelson  DVDs and I was very impressed, working fantastic off of the mats. Can't wait for some warm and dry weather to test out in the dirt. Felt the different positions will take some getting used to in the different lies in the rough, but overall excellent technique and very easy.

Only disappointment is he really didn't cover any pitch shots over 50 yards but I'm going to try out utley's technique for that and report back in the spring as to progress.

Beyond fifty yards for most people is a lob wedge that's shortened up(shorter seeing or choked up), that's why I think he didn't hit on it at all.

Driver: 10.5* callaway Razr Hawk Tour - 350 yards(usually into the wind, it can be windy here. at least 400 with a little wind behind me)

Hybrids: 2 and 3 callaway Hybrid razr tour (312 and 287 respectively)

Irons: 3i-10i callaway forged standard length(278, 263, 250, 235, 221, 213, 201, 190)

Wedges: callaway jaws cc 52* 12 approach, 56* 16 sand, 60* 13 lob (0-185)

Odyssey Black tour #9 putter(5 ft, i'm always at least within 5 feet on my approach shot)

I wonder who on this forum is a PGA tour pro, disguised as a normal player.. 

2013: play in the US amateur qualifier

When you choke up must you bend your knees more because you're shortening the club?

Same swing,position,etc just bend down a little to make gd contact. I will have to try that as well in the spring. Glad feb is only 28 days this year!

Always use the phrase "grip down", not the other phrase..

After careful consideration, I have to say Stan utley's technique, to me anyway is very easy to repeat and I've had much more success in chipping than the extreme hinging that Phil seems to use. I feel the more you hinge on the backswing the more natural on the follow through your left hand wants to release. With a slight hinge, and an easy pivot my results have been very accurate and consistent. Now to see if the mat and the grass/dirt yield similar results?

Note: This thread is 4103 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!