IGNORED

My Swing (TheMightyOz)

Themightyoz

I've been Playing Golf for: 3 years seriously
My current handicap index or average score is: 37
My typical ball flight is: right to left or a heavy hook
The shot I hate or the "miss" I'm trying to reduce/eliminate is: Anything with a hybrid

I am trying to copy Moe Norman's swing within reason.  I have a lot of physical limitations in the area of coordination, balance and flexibility.  My hands shake in a fairly small way, but still 24-7.  The reason I have chosen the Moe swing is because based on everything I have read, watched and studied the swing appears to have less moving parts and is based around what would appear to be good biomechanics.  I have with an Instructor from the Graves Golf Academy who I have worked with and have several of their DVD's and training aids.  I now just need to put the pieces together.  

I also use a Biomech Acculock Putter  in order to control my hand shakes on the green.  I am hoping to use both these tools to make my game both more repeatable and more consistent.

My stats are available here: https://www.gamegolf.com/player/wpgstriker

I will try and post a video tomorrow and other videos as I go through the learning process for this swing.  I understand that many people don't care for Moe's swing and that's

fine, but that is the one I am going for. For at least the next 12 months I am committing to it.  If you want to join me on this journey please be welcome.  If you have questions about the swing or Moe please throw them at me.  I would love to discuss.

Videos: 

• Upvote 1

WITB

Cobra  Wishon 911 D FMAX 10.5 ,EQ-NX 4W, 7W, 4H/6H, 7-LW

Biomech Acculock Ace Putter

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

First Putting video.  Made for one of pros I get advice from sometimes.  Enjoy.

Videos:

Edited by Themightyoz

WITB

• 2 weeks later...
  • Administrator

So, @Themightyoz, are you going to use this more as a diary of sorts?

If you're working on something and have a plan, that's often a good way to go, and you'll find that people will read but not often post on your topic because they respect you doing your own thing.

I certainly can't say I'm an expert on the Moe Norman/Graves stuff, so I also tend to leave these kinds of things alone a little, but I do read the topics and view the videos, and will occasionally comment to ask a question or whatever.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

@iacas I will use it as a diary.  I am always open to hear what people advise as well.  I am no expert to say the least.  In particular if anybody has advice on putting that would be awesome.  It just freaks me out overall.

WITB

• Administrator
56 minutes ago, Themightyoz said:

@iacas I will use it as a diary.  I am always open to hear what people advise as well.  I am no expert to say the least.  In particular if anybody has advice on putting that would be awesome.  It just freaks me out overall.

General putting advice:

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

• 1 month later...

Had my tpi screening last night.   Need to learn to dissociate my upper body from my lower body.  Thats where we begin.

WITB

• 2 months later...
  • Administrator

I don't love - at all - the setup with the hands raised and inline with the shaft.

• Informative 1

Yeah I'd attack the posture and grip first.

Are you trying to do a Moe Norman type swing with that setup?

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

I see a lot of forward head movement and virtually no width/depth of the hands on the backswing.

Using the tree that is just off of Norman's front hip as a reference point, you can see how his head doesnt go forward, if anything it actually moves down and back away from the ball. Looking at clips from your video and the edge of the wall as a reference point, you can see how far forward your head moves from the top of your backswing until just after impact.

swing.thumb.png.a21a7b0526c5ac390aaa1ab12eb0677e.png

Im not quite crazy about how this looks either, seems like the club is getting wrapped way around your body and little to no depth/width in the backswing.

hands.png.00d9f1aff3d02d1170533567327c4372.png

Driver: :callaway: Rogue Max ST LS
Woods:  :cobra: Darkspeed LS 3Wood/3Hybrid
Irons: :tmade: P770 (4-PW)
Wedges: :callaway: MD3 50   MD5 54 58 degree  
Putter: :odyssey:  White Hot RX #1
Ball: :srixon: Z Star XV

Hi folks,

Thanks for the feedback.  Right now I'm working on the posture to make it so like @iacas said bring the hands down so I am bending more from the waist.  I also agree that their was no vertical drop in this swing at all.  It was my first crack at a full swing a la Moe on a simulator.  Too many things going on in my head :D

Love the conversation.  Keep it coming.

WITB

• Administrator
7 hours ago, Themightyoz said:

Thanks for the feedback.  Right now I'm working on the posture to make it so like @iacas said bring the hands down so I am bending more from the waist.  I also agree that their was no vertical drop in this swing at all.  It was my first crack at a full swing a la Moe on a simulator.  Too many things going on in my head :D

If you're actually trying to swing like Moe Norman, you should probably disregard the setup/posture thread. Very few people here will be able to give you advice on the Moe Norman stuff (though the top of the backswing stuff looked like good advice to me), but you're welcome to use the topic to keep posting updates and everything so we can all follow along with your progress, you can keep a history of "notes" and things, etc.

@iacas For sure.  Thanks for the reply.  I'm trying to take the best things from Moe and go from there.  Everybody's body is going to let them do different things.  If I can land somewhere between Moe and Bryson I'll be happy.  

WITB

• 6 years later...
(edited)

Haven't posted in a long time,  but here's an update.  Would love to hear folks thoughts especially as it relates to trail arm width.  I have trail shoulder pain so it might be that my width is restricted to what you see here, but any more width swould be ideal  Shocking how different my swing is now compared to the above. No longer trying to swing like Moe,  Trying to do what works for me.  Have been following Malaska Golf/Milo Lines philosophies for a few years and it seems to be helping.  Along with lessons with my local pro.  Am also doing a fitness program recommended by a TPI physio.  Clubs are custom fitted as of fall 2022

Swing Data
7 Iron Fade
Carry: 139.57 Total 146.03

Club speed 79.86MPH Ball Speed 102.54  Smash 1.28
Back Spin 6927 Side Spin 603
Launch Angle 19.63, Attack Angle -0.30
Side Total 5.62 yds to the right of targget

Edited by Themightyoz
  • Thumbs Up 1

WITB

• Administrator

Pause it at the top point and estimate for me what your torso turn ("shoulder turn") is…?

(edited)

image.thumb.png.a6971974518f369dfe6ac5ff3aa7c4d9.png

Given this I going to guess in the 80 degree range given how this is my 3rd post off season practice.  The above is from Nov 2022

The coach here wanted me to get my arms further back that's what the arrow means

image.thumb.png.44b1f6b6a6f0bcd2cf61a6f1fb7b0bee.png

Edited by Themightyoz
  • Thumbs Up 1

WITB

• Administrator
On 3/22/2024 at 8:10 PM, Themightyoz said:

Given this I going to guess in the 80 degree range given how this is my 3rd post off season practice.  The above is from Nov 2022

I'd guess something in the mid-70s, TBH. Tony Finau doesn't get to 80° in most swings…

image.jpeg

Your legs aren't doing much to help you turn, your hips aren't doing much to help you turn, and in an attempt to get your arms farther back; you're over-using them.

Learn to turn. Use your arms MUCH less.

image.jpeg

Thanks.  It's funny because I feel like my hips are turning a lot , but it could be just tension.  My biggest struggle is straightening my back leg. If I remember to do that then my hips are usually pretty deep if I don't then they're not.

WITB