IGNORED

Favorite Course You've Played in Minnesota

BigAl5150
Note: This thread is 3402 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Right now it would have to be The Refuge (Oak Grove). Mainly because it's a whole lot of fun to play, it's inexpensive (especially if you grab their weekday early-bird special) and it's near by my house. I also really enjoy playing at Keller (Ramsey Cty), lots of rich history there and I get excited over the idea of hitting off the same Tbox as the likes of Hogan. When I was in college I played at Lester Park (Duluth) quite a bit and always enjoyed it. The "lake 9" is especially fun with great views of Lake Superior. Head into drunken-skonniville and Troy Burne is always a good time. Obviously you have to throw private venues like Hazeltine and White Bear Lake Yacht Club on the list but I haven't played at either of those since I was a kid and they're very inaccessible so, as great as they are, I don't think that they really count. Depending on the part of the state you're in, there is very likely a great golf course nearby. I mainly listed the ones in my area but could have gone on and on for quite a bit for one reason or another.

Yonex Ezone Type 380 | Tour Edge Exotics CB Pro | Miura 1957 Irons | Yururi Wedges | Scotty Cameron Super Rat | TaylorMade Penta

Nice list!

I agree with the Refuge being pretty nice. Where do you live if it's near your home? Have you played The Ponds in Saint Francis? It's a decent track. I live in Zimmerman now so I spend most of the time at the Elk River Golf club when I can get out.

Riverwood National in Otsego is pretty nice if you like golfing in a housing development. I reviewed it when it first opened: http://thesandtrap.com/b/courses/riverwood_national_golf_course

You're right though, you can find a great deal of nice courses throughout the state.

Alan

Alan Olson

Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!
Check out our Facebook page!

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Nice list!

I agree with the Refuge being pretty nice. Where do you live if it's near your home?

I'm just south of The Refuge in East Bethel. It's a great course, I wish that I could get up there more often. [quote]Have you played The Ponds in Saint Francis? It's a decent track.[/quote] I have yet to play there. Whenever I've had the opportunity and/or motivation to play somewhere nearby other than my "home track," I always find myself at The Refuge, go figure. [quote]I live in Zimmerman now so I spend most of the time at the Elk River Golf club when I can get out.

Riverwood National in Otsego is pretty nice if you like golfing in a housing development. I reviewed it when it first opened: http://thesandtrap.com/b/courses/riverwood_national_golf_course

You're right though, you can find a great deal of nice courses throughout the state.

Alan

[/quote] I needed to be in White Bear Lake this morning so I got an early tee time at Keller. Always an enjoyable round there, even when I'm not playing particularly well (like today). It's fun to think that some of the greatest golfers to ever play the game have stood on the tee boxes and greens contemplating the same shots. I've always wondered how my strategy at Keller compares to how Hogan or Snead played the course. I wish that there were more detailed records of the course and the tournaments played there so many years ago.

Yonex Ezone Type 380 | Tour Edge Exotics CB Pro | Miura 1957 Irons | Yururi Wedges | Scotty Cameron Super Rat | TaylorMade Penta

• 3 weeks later...

Soounds like you guys are from the northern metro. I'm from Coon Rapids and my home course is Bunker Hills. Can't beat $33 walking!

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 years later...

I've been trying to play a lot of different courses this last year, but this thread is a font of recommendations so far.

I'm in Lakeville and for a local course, I liked Willingers just fine.  Also the Meadows is usually in good condition, Ridges at SandCreek.  (those are favorites, but we went to Hidden Greens as much as any last year, clever little layout and cheap to play)

Went up north and and was thrilled with the Classic in Brainerd, so I'm hoping to make more trips up north to play in that country.  Been trying for a couple years to get a guys trip to check out up north - Wilderness, Legend, Quarry.  I think the scenery would be fantastic

Over in Wisconsin?  White Eagle by far my favorite, St Croix National, River Falls

Bill - 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Note: This thread is 3402 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!