IGNORED

Can you recommend an Instructor?

Note: This thread is 6920 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I am looking for an instructor in the Northern Virginia/Washington DC area. Anyone have any recommendations for a beginner/intermediate golfer?

I took a set of introductory lessons last summer at a local golf school and was disappointed by my instructor, who seemed to be on auto-pilot half the time, pointed out a few things each lesson specific to my swing at that moment (as opposed to teaching me fundamentals that I could carry with me beyond the lesson) and didn't seem all that invested into whether I improved my swing. He was a good guy, but maybe just a little burnt out.

I'm not looking for a "top 50" instructor, just someone that enjoys teaching the game and maybe even takes some pride in their work. Thanks!

• 2 weeks later...
Doesn't look like anyone can recommend an instructor in the DC area... how about recommending an instructional golf video? Anyone have a golf video that worked well for them?

The "Ultimate Golf Learning Experience Set" with Wally Armstrong is one of the more popular videos at Amazon.com - it comes with 5 DVD's and costs only $15, so I'm tempted to try this one... has anyone tried this video?

Thanks for your help.

http://www.pga.com/improve/find-an-instructor/index.cfm

I do not know of many instructional DVDs but I would probably look for one by a popular intsructor that you have heard of- David Leadbetter, Dave Pelz, etc.

As far as a personal instructor, I would recommend finding one that you feel comfortable around and one you can connect with. It doesn't always have to be a head professional either. Alot of assistant professionals are also fantastic swing coaches. Good luck.

• Administrator
A lot will also give you a quick lesson at a reduced (cheap) rate to see if you like them. Almost like you're interviewing to find a good instructor.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• 3 weeks later...
Try Bob Benning at Stoneleigh. It is about 10 minutes west of Leesburg (I know it is a trek), he used to be head pro at Congressional and Landsdowne I believe. Good guy. Make sure you are clear on what you want with any instructor. Explain that you want to go over the fundamentals, Otherwise I think many instructors just look at your swing and try to work on your faults.

I think his website is www.benningolf.com

Note: This thread is 6920 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!