IGNORED

Anyone have aspirations for pro golf ?

Lumpy_22
Note: This thread is 6273 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Thanks everyone for your imput either for or against.

I hear the points on both sides and understand that the possibility of becomming a 'touring' pro are not great, but it can happen. I believe this because of my positive attitude about this, and I feel that at the very least, the improvements that are made through positive productive practice, positive mental approach, mental support from family, at the very least I will be a much better golfer than I am today..

Everyone has dreams, but dreams are mostly spoken or thought of, rarely strived for. I love playing, and couldn't imagine any job in the world, for any amount of money that I'd be happier doing. 20k on the Canadian tour or Wall Street lawyer making 250K.. easy choice.. for me anyways, what makes you happy, money or heart... for me, definately heart..

I'm not mortgaging my future here. I'm still working Full time, and I'm not putting any pressure on anyone else except for myself. I'll use as much time away from work as posible to get there. My fiancee supports this and truly understands the effort and time it will take. This is invaluable, as I only have to worry about the golf aspect, and apply my efforts there.

I've done my research, and I understand that you need a + index to have any chance. Will I be a scratch player next year? and a positive after that ? Maybe not, but I'll be better, and it may take 3 or 4 years... who knows, but I'll be better than I am today. I truly believe that I will play a pro tour event, and that's why it will happen....

Best of luck to everyone, and hopefully everyone can reach their dreams!

In the bag...

r7 TP 425 (Tour issue) Fuji Fit On X flex
r7 tp 13*/17* GD Purple Ice 85g X (tour issue)
Dual Hybrid TP 19* Aldilla Stiff 680 forged irons rifle 6.5 shafts 4-PW RAC TP Y Cutters Satin Wedges 54/60 with Project X 6.0 Scotty Cameron Newport 2 34' ProV1X ballFootjoy shoes, gloves and...

I would love to get there, but time is slowly running out for me. I am a 12 handicap at the age of 16 and I am really going to strive to get it under 10 before my senior year is over in 2008. Then I will head off to college and see much I improve there and we will see from there.

i had that dream also. i actually played division1 golf.. a lot of guys i played against in college are on the nationwide, canadian, and new england pro golf tour. to play the mini tours is one thing but to make it to the show is another. the mini tour career pays very little and can be attainablefor someone who is a plus 1 or a plus 2.. but if your not trained to be a TOURNAMENT player than its very difficult to get to the pga.

unless when you play bad you still scrape out a 1 or 2 under par round and have the entry fee for q-school every year the percentages are very slim of getting to the pga.

i give a lot of people credit for having the courage to give it a shot. the most important thing to remember is when your grinding out there to make a cut just to win your entry fee money back the game takes on a whole new meaning.

mmm

I watched this Bobby Jones movie. And eventhough he is that good (Grand Slam champion), the guy had never turned pro. Instead he became a lawyer. Yeah it inspired me. If you love the game, why play for the money? Just play for the win....

But.. playing in the amateur level and paying $100 - $400 for each tournament is kinda expensive when you don't get any money in return (except for that tiny trophy). While the pros get the big bucks and the big trophies. So why not go for it ?

I have also a "golf" dream, but it is not playing as a pro. If I can play as an amateur in the Pro-Am PGA Tour event, it would just awesome. My dream 4-some is with I, Micheal Jordan, Michelle Wie, Jason Zuback.
Whats in my Golf Bag:
Driver: Nike Sumo 5000
5 Wood: Mizuno MP-001
Iron: Mizuno MX-950 5-PW
Wedge: Cobra FP 60 degrePutter: Odyssey 2-BallBall: Yellow balls

It sounds to me like you are going into this with an open mind and with realistic expectations. You are setting up a 3-4 year plan (I think, at least that is what I get from your posts) and I think that it is a very good approach. Obviously you will have to improve your game to get there and it is going to take a lot of hard work. You have support and you have time so go for it!

And, if for some reason you don't succeed I hope you remain positive and stick with the game, don't forget, you do not have to be a touring pro to make a living at golf, there are lots of other options...

What's in the Bag

Driver: HiBore 10.5* ProLaunch Blue 65s
Hybrid: No Fear 3i
Irons: Launcher LP 4-PW Harmonized 50* GWAmerican Standard 56* SWStriker by Golf Trends 60* LobPutter: Pro Response bladeBall: Tour Fire

Thanks for the understanding and support... and although it will be an extremely difficult process, I can't see ever not playing, even if I get worse.. The chase for that round where you play close to your best, that rush keeps me going... I shot a 69 that could have been a 65 if I had made a couple more putts, but that's golf...I remember the birdie on 18 to do it... a wicked cut shot from behind trees to 18 feet, side door.... wow... amazing how 69 feels so much better than 70....

I'll keep everyone updated this year.. One of my biggest problems is not enough competitive rounds, so this year I have 6 provincial tournaments plus anything else I can get into...

Would be nice to get some info on qualifying for the US amateur, but even on the net I haven't found much.. To get to the Canadian Amateur, you have to get out of your province (top 4) or apply separately, so that's a great starting point. If I can accomplish that, then I can think a little more into the pro aspect, allthough I have done a ton of research on expenses and such...

Best of luck....

In the bag...

r7 TP 425 (Tour issue) Fuji Fit On X flex
r7 tp 13*/17* GD Purple Ice 85g X (tour issue)
Dual Hybrid TP 19* Aldilla Stiff 680 forged irons rifle 6.5 shafts 4-PW RAC TP Y Cutters Satin Wedges 54/60 with Project X 6.0 Scotty Cameron Newport 2 34' ProV1X ballFootjoy shoes, gloves and...

Note: This thread is 6273 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!