IGNORED

Anyone have aspirations for pro golf ?

Lumpy_22
Note: This thread is 6273 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Hey All;

Just kind of wondered if anyone else out there has aspirations of truing to play pro golf....

Wanted to get ideas on sponsorship, and costs....

I've done some budgets based on the Canadian Tour, but wondered if anyone out there has or wants to....

Just looking for ideas...

Thanks for your time...

In the bag...

r7 TP 425 (Tour issue) Fuji Fit On X flex
r7 tp 13*/17* GD Purple Ice 85g X (tour issue)
Dual Hybrid TP 19* Aldilla Stiff 680 forged irons rifle 6.5 shafts 4-PW RAC TP Y Cutters Satin Wedges 54/60 with Project X 6.0 Scotty Cameron Newport 2 34' ProV1X ballFootjoy shoes, gloves and...

The only thing that comes to my mind is to one day be able to play in a qualifier for a US Open. The index has to be 2.0 or below so obviously i have a long way to go but that would be something that I truly would be ecstatic about if I could just attempt it. Other then that I dont have much input on the above question....Good luck
Driver-Taylor Made R7 460cc 10.5* Fujikara REAX Stiff
Fairway Wood-Taylor Made R7 Draw 15* Fujikara REAX Stiff
Hybrid Taylor Made 19* Rescue Mid Steel Stiff
4-PW-Golfsmith G40 TT Lite XL Stiff
GW-Ben Hogan Riviera 8* Bounce 50*SW-Ben Hogan Riviera Medium Bounce 56*LW-Cleveland 60* 588 ChromePutter-Taylo...

Most if not all of the players out there have $$ either from family, their own business, friends, sponsors, etc. What some do is have a deep pocketed friend sponsor them for a year or two to see how they do.

You can pay and prequalify for the Q-school tournament, some do that just for the experience, it's about $5K.

It is expensive to fly all over, stay in hotels, rent cars, dine out, etc.

As someone here mentioned a Lee Trevino story advising if someone wanted to give pro golf a try, drive 100 miles in any direction, then find the nearest golf course, play it from the tips and if you break par you might have a chance to go pro.

There are no doubt quite a few players out there with major talent who didn't have the right circumstances to make a go of it, just didn't have the $$ to spend all the time in the minor leagues polishing their skills.

It's too bad, there should be a better way, maybe localized mini tours, but that's been tried.

2009 Burner R
FT-I Fusion Squareway 3W 15* Fujikura Speeder Fit-On R
5W R7 R
FT Fusion Hybrids Draw 3/21*, 4/24*
G5 5-PW X-forged Vintage: 52.12, 56.14MDScotty Cameron: Newport 2 ProV1

To answer your question... I'd love too. But the aliens (as I like to call them) just play on a different level. Personally my goal is to try to Monday qualify for a nationwide tour event. If I can qualify great, if not.... great, what can I say.

I want to get into teaching at some point, I would love to just be around golf all day, broke or not

If a person manages to turn pro, even at a club or teaching level, they can play a lot of local section tournaments.

Driver - TaylorMade R9 460 10.5°
3 Wood - TaylotMade Burner Tour
3 & 4 Hybrids - Adams a7
Irons - R7 tp 5-PW
Wedges - Vokey SM Black Nickel - 52º - 56º - 60ºPutter - Scotty Cameron California - SonomaSkyCaddie - SG4Lowest Round - 68 - Par 72 /67.6/120Lowest Tournament Round - 69 -...

To answer your question... I'd love too. But the aliens (as I like to call them) just play on a different level. Personally my goal is to try to Monday qualify for a nationwide tour event. If I can qualify great, if not.... great, what can I say.

It takes a unique character to be a golf teacher, more power to you if you enjoy it. I just had a lesson and later I heard the teacher tell another student the exact same thing . . . let your shoulder turn take the club back and stay down through the shot . . . probably tells everyone the same thing,

but for me it helped because it is good advice. But somehow you've got to remain motivated to teach that over and over, the worst job might be at the pro shop desk taking reservations, I really feel for those people as it is so boring and often in the afternoons they just sit there doing nothing, I'd go crazy doing that. The tour players have the glamour but the actual jobs aren't glamorous. There is a guy who runs the driving range shack at a nearby course, makes change, picks up the balls . . . how does he keep motivated doing that, I don't know.

2009 Burner R
FT-I Fusion Squareway 3W 15* Fujikura Speeder Fit-On R
5W R7 R
FT Fusion Hybrids Draw 3/21*, 4/24*
G5 5-PW X-forged Vintage: 52.12, 56.14MDScotty Cameron: Newport 2 ProV1

Thanks for the responses...

Just wanted to follow up, that I've done some searching and calcuated some actual budgets and just to play on some of the 'mini' tours would cost around $30,000 on a tight budget for a 12 - 16 tournamnet season... I've factored in hotels, food, travel (car), personal expenses, practice round fees, caddy fees, tour dues, tournament entry fees, clothing, etc, ...

Think I was wondering where to go for help besides the obvious... speaking of obvious, It's a pipe dream, but I'm on a two year plan. I have the support from my fiancee (she plays fortunately..), and don't want that what 'if' hanging...At the very least I'll improve as an amateur, and that can't be too bad...

Just looking for anyone else's thoughts on the subject, if anyone is actively working towards this....

Thanks....

In the bag...

Dual Hybrid TP 19* Aldilla Stiff 680 forged irons rifle 6.5 shafts 4-PW RAC TP Y Cutters Satin Wedges 54/60 with Project X 6.0 Scotty Cameron Newport 2 34' ProV1X ballFootjoy shoes, gloves and...

I'm with your on that Lumpy, mines a two year plan as well. What I would suggest is (if you havent already) find a good instructer and have them set your training and playing goals etc for you. It takes a huge commitment, but with the support of your girlfriend you can do it, without support good luck.

The instructer I use has a lot of experience with some top players. He worked with Steve Jones, Scott McCarron, and his daughter plays on the futures tour right now and will be doing the q-school thing this year for the LPGA.

So anyway I talked to him about the Nationwide tour thing and he set out some things that will get me there. I practice short game and putting 6 days a week. I work on full swing 4 days a week, and I play 4 times a week. I also work out 3 times a week, and am even quiting smoking. He says I have the ball striking, distance, and short game but we need to work on the way I play.... so course management. OH and I'm a little inconsistent off the tee. Trying to fit all that in while I work full time isnt easy, but like you my other half supports me so that helps a lot.

I wish I could give you some direction to turn to help out with the finances but I'm lost there.
3 & 4 Hybrids - Adams a7
Irons - R7 tp 5-PW
Wedges - Vokey SM Black Nickel - 52º - 56º - 60ºPutter - Scotty Cameron California - SonomaSkyCaddie - SG4Lowest Round - 68 - Par 72 /67.6/120Lowest Tournament Round - 69 -...

Brit Boy;

Appreciate the response... I would have to say that I'm quite suprised that there wasn't anyone else who pitched in with any responses...

I like the fact that you have someone (professional) to guide you in where you want to go, and has given you some feedback in regards to ball stricking and distance, in that your not far off...

My short game isn't bad, and I work in that area frequently. I leave more than my share of putts within that two foot zone, so I 2 putt often and get more than my share of pars, my problem is I need to convert more often, and work on my second shot to get it withing that 10 foot zone more often..

This year I plan on something similar....

Putting 30-60 minutes every other day..... (must make 25 straight three footers to end practice)
Chipping 20 minutes opposite day of putting... working to spots and getting actual flight to roll, altering trajectories, and working on short sided chips..
Pitching 30 minutes, again opposite putting day... shots from 50 yards and in, different ball trajectories, to short and long pins, over imaginary hazards, working on landing areas..

This works the short game 6 days a week for 1 hour or so....

Also 20-40 minutes ball striking... working on fundamentals daily, set up, alignment, etc...

Shadow game, as I call it, play imaginary holes, to help with vision skills, visualize a par 4, hit diver, visulize 2nd shot, hit iron or faiway wood, visualize 3rd, hit 50 yard and in.... always varying hole from dog leg right to left, par 5's, low trajectories (punch)...

1 day a week, work on escape shots... behind trees, bad lies, under trees, hardpan..etc...

This makes for a long week, working full time also, but for a couple years we'll see where it goes.... just don't want to say "well what if I had done this? ...."

Keep in touch wih your progress.... kind of interested if the effort you put in get you there...

Fairwaus and greens.......

Lumpy

In the bag...

I hate to be a killjoy, I think your dream is a fantastic thing, really I do. The only thing I suggest you do, if at all possible, is play a round of golf with a real tour caliber pro. I have had the opportunity to play with several members of the PGA tour and it was both a blast and an eye opening experience. They are friggin GOOD. Scary good, and the guys I have played with were 100-150th on the money list. What it did for me was make me want to improve so I could be as good as I possible could be. But it also made me realize there is no damn way I could compete at that level. I just simply started playing too late. And that is okay, I just set my goals to a more attainable height. For you it will at least give you an idea where you need to elevate your game to in order to compete with them. Plus like I said it is a lot of fun.

Danny    In my :ping: Hoofer Tour golf bag on my :clicgear: 8.0 Cart

Driver:   :pxg: 0311 Gen 5  X-Stiff.                        Irons:  :callaway: 4-PW APEX TCB Irons 
3 Wood: :callaway: Mavrik SZ Rogue X-Stiff                            Nippon Pro Modus 130 X-Stiff
3 Hybrid: :callaway: Mavrik Pro KBS Tour Proto X   Wedges: :vokey:  50°, 54°, 60° 
Putter: :odyssey:  2-Ball Ten Arm Lock        Ball: :titleist: ProV 1

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I have played a couple of rounds with touring pros. 1 from PGA tour, and the other LPGA. And ya the 22 year old girlie kicked my a$$. It is without a doubt an eye opener to see these guys play. Scary long, scary accurate, and if its within 20ft. its probably in. The consistency was what stuck out most to me.

But with Lumpy_22 playing off 6 he has some talent, and just as important as that he seems determined. I say go for it, what’s the worst that can happen?

Lumpy, get the handicap down and enter some open events against local pros. Learn from that, and maybe try some local pro events or mini tour stuff. Try to Monday Qualify. Whatever it takes. Chase it now, or like you said, regret it later.
3 & 4 Hybrids - Adams a7
Irons - R7 tp 5-PW

I'm waiting for the Champions Tour. I figure I've got ten + years to practice!!

Driver: Titleist 905S/9.5/Fujikura Speeder Stiff
3W: Titleist 906FT
Irons: Ping i10/Red dot
Wedges: Cleveland CG12/54/60
Putter: Odyssey XG RossieBall: TaylorMade TP Red

I have played a couple of rounds with touring pros. 1 from PGA tour, and the other LPGA. And ya the 22 year old girlie kicked my a$$. It is without a doubt an eye opener to see these guys play. Scary long, scary accurate, and if its within 20ft. its probably in. The consistency was what stuck out most to me.

Local pro events? They have events just for the locals? Is that where the club pro goes every few weeks? [not being sarcastic, I actually don't know and I'd be embarassed to ask the pro this myself]

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

i had them when i was little, but slowly as i grew older, i realized i would never have the money or the skill.
In My Bag

Driver: Sasquatch 460 9.5°
3 Wood: Laser 3 Wood 15°
5 Wood: r7 19° (Stiff)Irons: S58 Irons 4-PW Orange DotWedge: Harmonized 60°Wedge: Z TP 54°Putter: Tiffany 34"Balls: Pro V1 Shoes: Adidas Tour 360 IIThe Meadows Golf Coursewww.themeadowsgc.comAge: 16

Hi guys,

This is my first post here, but I think I have to echo the thoughts of NM Golf. Hank Haney in a "My Shot" interview had some thoughts on the subject of how amateurs view the talent required to play professional golf. http://www.golfdigest.com/features/i...505myshot.html

Lumpy_22 - Not to sound overly dramatic, but realistically as a 6 handicap, you are probably going to have to get to a +3 or +4 or better just to be somewhat competitive (I may be underestimating a bit). After looking through your practice plan, I agree that it is a good start and will certainly make you a better player, but to see the type of improvement that you need, I think you have to go further.

As you know I'm sure, people improve by leaps and bounds when they first take up the game, but once they get to a single digit handicap, improvement is in much smaller increments and it will take A LOT more practice than what you are currently proposing to get where you have to be as a professional. Further, if you are really serious, I've gotta think that you need to enlist the help of a teaching pro because you need to get BETTER, not just repeat and ingrain swing flaws that result in the inconsistencies that we all have.

The bottom line is that if you have a good job, why would you trade it for the life of a golf pro? I think the life of a golf pro is not all it is cracked up to be. There is alot of pressure on and off the golf course. I played and caddied some tournament golf when I was younger (and better) and I can say that shooting 68 with your buddies is not the same as shooting a 68 under tournament conditions. Why not just focus on being a great amateur? Have you tried to qualify or played in the Canadian amateur?
What about coming down for the US amateur? Given the number of talented golfers out there, that seems like a good goal and reaching that level of play is someting I would certainly be proud of.

PRO?! I used to wish that someday I'd grow up to be a touring pro! Back in high school when I routinely shot sub-par rounds. (through nine holes mind you.) I always had a rough time stringing birdies together through 18 (my low round is 69 bogey free) I realize now what they have and I don't and will never have, and that is an amazing short game! This next one is what distinguishes good pros from average Joe Schmo pros, the ability to get up and down (scrambling). Any scratch or single digit handicaper can hit fairways and greens with ease but do they have the ability to get up and down from trouble? These guys have the ability to get up down from the most adverse of conditions, lies, and angles etc.! Check the stats, Top 15 Sand Saves and Scrambling made more than a million on tour last year. I'd also add that In addition to all of this stuff, being a pro would most definitely require a great deal of mental toughness (something that probably can't be taught). This is probably the most important part. You're a 6 HC so you have a great deal of work and time ahead of you before you get to where you want to be. I hope it works out for you man.

907D2 9.5 Proforce V2 75 S
906F2 15* Proforce V2 95 S
MD 19* Proforce V2 100 S
735 CM 3-PW DG s400 Vokey 200 53.11*/SM 58.08* DG s300 Scotty C. Studio Design 3.5Balls -

The only thing I suggest you do, if at all possible, is play a round of golf with a real tour caliber pro. I have had the opportunity to play with several members of the PGA tour and it was both a blast and an eye opening experience. They are friggin GOOD.

Very well put.

These forums and review sites are full of people who claim to hit the ball over 300 yards consistently, have "no problem" hitting most fairways etc. etc. Just nonsense of the highest order. If you have a look at the PGA tour results you will see that very often scores of 1 or 2 under over the first 2 days don't even make the cut. I suggest you read "A Good Walk Spoiled" by John Feinstein. The heartbreak of amazingly good players getting nowhere is a reality check. Here in Australia I have had the thrill of watching Greg Norman playing and have seen his playing partners literally shaking their heads at what he could do - And they are good pros playing with him on Saturday or Sunday - not to mention hitting 3 woods out of divots on the practice tee as if they were fired from a laser. When you see a good professional play - even someone 200th on the money list, you will see that the game they play is totally different than that of even a "gifted amateur". The trajectory they have off the tee is not the same. I would say that if you play on a course which is rated at 72 and you are regularly 3 or 4 under par then you may have a chance at some point. I'm afraid it's not about desire. It's about ability. The players who we all want to be are from a different planet - and, let's face it there are only a couple of hundred of them in a world with millions of ambitious golfers.

Very well put.

I totally agree with you! accept about the 200th on the money list!! I guarantee you players low on the money list, if you watch them on the practice tee at pro events are hitting long irons and woods a little squirrley. Look at the Cambo days(post 1995 Open to about 1998, he was horrible! I think he even shot back to back 86's!) and Duval? I bet a gifted amateur could've given them a run for their money back then. Trajectory? I don't know how relative that is to being a pro look at guys with average ball flights like Freddy Funk, Corey Pavin, Justin Leonard and Brad Faxon to name a few. I've seen them hit balls and it aint nothin' special! Unless you've got a Tiger-like ball flight (I think all of TW's irons are bent a degree strong to keep his ball flight down) then maybe it could be an advantage.

907D2 9.5 Proforce V2 75 S
906F2 15* Proforce V2 95 S
MD 19* Proforce V2 100 S
735 CM 3-PW DG s400 Vokey 200 53.11*/SM 58.08* DG s300 Scotty C. Studio Design 3.5Balls -

I totally agree with you! accept about the 200th on the money list!! I guarantee you players low on the money list, if you watch them on the practice tee at pro events are hitting long irons and woods a little squirrley..

Yeah..but... I read an interview with Adam Scott the other day and he was with a mate of his who played off 5 at Augusta for the Masters. the friend asked Scott what he reckons he's shoot there, and Scott said 90 - maybe, to the friend's disappointment. My point is - that a player off 6 might be lucky to break 90 on a course set up for the pros. I played at The Lakes, the site of Norman's first Australian Open the day after and not from the back tees. I was going to where players I'd seen the day before were hitting their shots from and it was just incredible. The course was playing a good 10 shots harder the day before. A touring pro would be expected to go around most average to good courses in about 65 the way they are set up for members, with slower greens mid-point tees and average pin positions. A player off six would go around a course set up for a tournament in the mid to high 80s on a very good day. Of course there are exceptions to both examples, but my point is that a single figure handicap player is not a pro in tyhe making. Check out Ross Marcano's cards in PGA Tour events this year.

Note: This thread is 6273 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!