IGNORED

ball embedded in fringe

ejimsmith
Note: This thread is 4653 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

playing a couple weeks ago, i hit a high approach shot that landed on the fringe.  the grass was very soft, and the ball was embedded in it almost up to its equator.  one of my playing partners said i am allowed to pull it out of its divot.   was he correct?

In my Grom Stand bag:

Driver: Ping G20, 8.5 Tour Stiff
Wood/Hybrid: G20 3W, Raylor 19*, 22*
Irons: R9 5I - SW, TM CGB LW

Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi-Mid

Favorites: Old Ranch (Seal Beach), Ike/Babe (Industry Hills), Skylinks (Long Beach), Desert Willow (Palm Desert)

yes, i think so:

Quote:
25-2. Embedded Ball
A ball embedded in its own pitch-mark in the ground in any closely mown area through the green may be lifted, cleaned and dropped, without penalty, as near as possible to the spot where it lay but not nearer the hole. The ball when dropped must first strike a part of the course through the green . "Closely mown area" means any area of the course, including paths through the rough, cut to fairway height or less.

through the green defined as:

Quote:
"Through the green" is the whole area of the course except:
a. The teeing ground and putting green of the hole being played; and
b. All hazards on the course.

and the phrasing of "putting green" does not seem to be inclusive of the fringe:

Quote:
The " putting green " is all ground of the hole being played that is specially prepared for putting or otherwise defined as such by the Committee . A ball is on the putting green when any part of it touches the putting green.

i am curious, given these definitions, how you're supposed to handle an embedded ball on the green. can you just mark, pick it out of its pitch mark, repair the mark, and replace?

• Administrator

Originally Posted by dhanson

i am curious, given these definitions, how you're supposed to handle an embedded ball on the green. can you just mark, pick it out of its pitch mark, repair the mark, and replace?

Yes.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Note: This thread is 4653 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!