IGNORED

Becoming a Rules Official

JoelCochran
Note: This thread is 4668 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

After my experience yesterday ( http://thesandtrap.com/forum/thread/51831/unplayable-lie-also-when-has-not-knowing-the-rules-hurt-you ) and the ensuing thread, I am committed to never again letting my ignorance of the rules hurt my score. For a game that is seemingly so simple, there is an awful lot to learn about the rules!

This got me wondering how one becomes a USGA Rules Official?  I see on the USGA website that there are Rules Workshops and an exam, but this the only quote I can find regarding Rules Officials:

Quote:
Although important in the training process, the exam is NOT the primary variable for an invitation to officiate PGA of America, USGA, PGA Tour, or LPGA events.

So I guess my question becomes "What IS the primary variable? How do you get 'invited' to officiate events?"  Do we have any rules officials at TST?

In my  bag: 

Diablo Octane Tour 9.5, 18  -  6DT 19 (3I Hybrid) - 

Diablo Forged Irons 5-PW -  Tom Watson wedges 52,56,60 - 64 (generic) 

D.A.R.T. Belly Putter

B330-RX Balls

Originally Posted by JoelCochran

After my experience yesterday (http://thesandtrap.com/forum/thread/51831/unplayable-lie-also-when-has-not-knowing-the-rules-hurt-you) and the ensuing thread, I am committed to never again letting my ignorance of the rules hurt my score. For a game that is seemingly so simple, there is an awful lot to learn about the rules!

This got me wondering how one becomes a USGA Rules Official?  I see on the USGA website that there are Rules Workshops and an exam, but this the only quote I can find regarding Rules Officials:

So I guess my question becomes "What IS the primary variable? How do you get 'invited' to officiate events?"  Do we have any rules officials at TST?

The best way to get started is to study the rules and the decisions.  I started the process in 1987 when I first joined the USGA associates program.  Membership came with a copy of The Rules of Golf.  I spent the next several lunch hours reading and pondering the rules.  A few years later I also ordered a copy of the Decisions, since at the time there was no free website available.  I found them to be interesting reading.

I first attended a 2 day rules workshop held by the Colorado Golf Association and the local PGA in the late 90's.  Then about 6 years ago I went to my first four day USGA Rules workshop.  I scored 80 on the final, which was ok, but not what I wanted.  2 years later I went the next time it was held in Denver, and this time scored 86, which technically qualified me for the advanced rules seminar held at USGA headquarters.  I've not taken that one up, and probably won't.  I'm not a USGA rules official, but I have worked tournaments for the Colorado Golf Association.  Discussions like those here at the Trap, and others like The Leith Society, are also a great way to learn more about the rules.

My best advice for you is to contact your local or state golf association and see what they require for participation.  If they are like the CGA, they are always looking for help, especially in some of the junior tournaments.  Those are a great way to get your feet wet.  Often invitations to work at USGA events come through local associations.

Rick

"He who has the fastest cart will never have a bad lie."

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Great info, thank you!  I'll contact the VSGA and start there.

In my  bag: 

Diablo Octane Tour 9.5, 18  -  6DT 19 (3I Hybrid) - 

Diablo Forged Irons 5-PW -  Tom Watson wedges 52,56,60 - 64 (generic) 

D.A.R.T. Belly Putter

B330-RX Balls

Note: This thread is 4668 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!