IGNORED

My Swing (Jteague44)

jteague44
Note: This thread is 4650 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I'm not an expert, but I'm fighting the same problem at the moment. Your posture doesn't look bad. I think it's more likely that you're just swinging a little too much in to out, with the clubface a little open to the target. That's what causes a push/block. If you pause the last vid at the top of your swing you'll see the club is across the line and your entire body is geared towards swinging a little right from the position it's in. I'd concentrate on the backswing and position at the top if I was you. Doing it in front of a mirror might help. Then in the downswing concentrate on swinging more down the line towards the target too.

A great shot is when you go for it and pull it off. A smart shot is when you don't have the guts to try it. ~ Phil Mickelson.

Is that a serious statement? No offense, but with the amount of backswing/clubhead speed you appear to making in those videos, it appears you'd be lucky to pass 250 yards..

On the point of the post, I went through a stage where I was pushing/blocking the ball with my driver, and what helped me the most was taking a bit off as far as the tempo was concerned and focusing on hitting it straight with a full swing (lower speed) and once I had the mechanics of the swing at a slower speed going where I wanted I began increasing the tempo of my swing.

Also could be that you're swinging your driver on a similar plane as the irons. Maybe try more of a sweep, but that I'm not expert on.

Quote:

I have been struggling like crazy with my driver. I hit the crap out of it (300-350 yards)

My Home Course: http://chilliwackgolf.com/

In my Taylormade Bag:

The Big Stick: Calloway FT-I / Mini Big Stick: Calloway FT

2HY - Nickent 4DX IW

Irons 4-PW: Taylormade Burner 09

52' - Cleveland CG 15

56' Cleveland CG 12

60- Wilson Unknown.

Money Maker - Odessy White Hot Tour #5

Originally Posted by djackson89

Is that a serious statement? No offense, but with the amount of backswing/clubhead speed you appear to making in those videos, it appears you'd be lucky to pass 250 yards..

Quote:

If this comment is a serious statement, you sound like someone who probably shouldn't be giving swing tips.

Mizuno MP600 driver, Cleveland '09 Launcher 3-wood, Callaway FTiz 18 degree hybrid, Cleveland TA1 3-9, Scratch SS8620 47, 53, 58, Cleveland Classic 2 mid-mallet, Bridgestone B330S, Sun Mountain four5.

If you're blocking it, your club face is on the same path as your swing ( inside to out ) and if you;'re duck hooking it, your club face is closed relative to your swing path ( inside to out again )

Somewhere in between the two ( club face slightly closed to swing path ( inside to out ) ) and you'll be dandy with a little draw.

Many ways to fix it, I am so far from being an expert I can;t really help - I had the same issue ( still do sometimes ) and it literally just took range time to figure out a solid set of parameters ( grip, swing path etc ) until I got it right....still creeps in though.

:tmade: SLDR X-Stiff 12.5°
:nike:VRS Covert 3 Wood Stiff
:nike:VRS Covert 3 Hybrid Stiff
:nike:VR Pro Combo CB 4 - PW Stiff 2° Flat
:cleveland:588RTX CB 50.10 GW
:cleveland:588RTX CB 54.10 SW
:nike:VR V-Rev 60.8 LW
:nike:Method 002 Putter

Wouldn't it be slightly open to the swing path in order to promote a push/draw?

Square to the swing path with in to out swing path = Push

Open to swing path with in to out = Push Draw

Closed to swing path with in to out = Pull Draw aka Hook

Originally Posted by Kieran123

Somewhere in between the two ( club face slightly closed to swing path ( inside to out ) ) and you'll be dandy with a little draw.

Many ways to fix it, I am so far from being an expert I can;t really help - I had the same issue ( still do sometimes ) and it literally just took range time to figure out a solid set of parameters ( grip, swing path etc ) until I got it right....still creeps in though.

Carlos

• Administrator

Originally Posted by Nole77

Wouldn't it be slightly open to the swing path in order to promote a push/draw?

Square to the swing path with in to out swing path = Push

Open to swing path with in to out = Push Draw

Closed to swing path with in to out = Pull Draw aka Hook

No, because you're saying "to the swing path."

A ball hit with a club "open to the path" will always curve right (for a righty) and vice versa: a ball hit with a club "closed to the path" will always curve left (for a righty).

If you say "____ to the target" instead of "____ to the swing path" you'd be right in the above.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Note: This thread is 4650 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!