• Announcements

• iacas

Visit FlagstickRule.com   03/13/2017

Visit the site flagstickrule.com to read about and sign a petition for the USGA/R&A regarding the one terrible rule in the proposed "modernized" rules for 2019.
    • iacas

Win a Cart with Sun Mountain and TST!   06/02/2017

You can win a Speed Cart GT or a Micro Cart GT from Sun Mountain!
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
uttexas

Favorite public courses DFW area (within 100 mile radius)

8 posts in this topic

Links at Land's End (Yantis) Cowboys (Grapevine) Texas Star (Euless) Stonecreek (Sherman) Cedar Crest (Dallas) The Tribute (The Colony) Tierra Verde (Arlington) West Ridge (McKinney)

[SPOILER=Warning: Spoiler!][/SPOILER][quote name="uttexas" url="/t/52347/favorite-public-courses-dfw-area-within-100-mile-radius#post_638145"] The Tribute (The Colony) West Ridge (McKinney) [/quote] I like the tribute but I'll have to try west ridge since its so close to me. Right now I only go to a local neighborhood club.

Another courses worth mentioning close to where you live. Pecan Hollow--just reopened after being closed 10 months--it's in great shape.

Yea I just read your review. I'll definitely have to go. I tried to go last year but they were remodeling like you said.

I'd just like to say a little about Stevens Park in Oak Cliff.  The City of Dallas put a lot of money into it not long ago and it's beautiful.  There a lot of interesting old golfers out there, too that a lot of fun.  Below is shot of the course's signature hole.

Another nice public course is Tenison Park.  It's in a an older part of Dallas not too far from Fair Park and has two courses, the Highlands and the Glen.  It's surprising how much open space there is for this location.  The fairways are generous and they don't have too many hazards.  There are a few signs around the club house and driving range about not leaving possessions unattended.

waterchase and buffalo creek are my favorites in DFW.  but i only play twilight and i never play courses over $50 unless it's a special occasion, so i haven't played tribute, cowboys, texas star, etc.

tenison and cedar i play most often, but tenison is way overpriced for its quality IMO and cedar is way too short even at the tips.  stevens is also too short and not in very good shape (plus what's with those square greens?).

tierra verde, firewheel (old), and tangle ridge are all above average but none of them would i probably play again for the price and distance from my house.

Keeton Park is a nice course and is in the same general area as Tenison. Nicer practice facility, too (no mats, unlike Tenison).

Sherrill Park in Richardson has 2 courses, both decent layouts for courses in the middle of housing developments. (My company league plays there on Thursdays.) I just wish they could keep the greens in decent shape.

I like the old course out at Firewheel (I haven't played the others) - smooth reasonably fast greens. Pecan Hollow in Plano is nice (didn't play it before the latest renovation), but there is a fair distance between greens and the next tees, so it's a bit of an extra hike if you're walking.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

• Want to join this community?

We'd love to have you!

• 2017 TST Partners

PING Golf
    Leupold Golf
    Snell Golf
    Talamore Golf Resort
    Lowest Score Wins
    • Don't know if I would go so far as head case but he does get "frantic" out there and isn't one to hide his emotions. It is interesting to watch because it gives you more insight to what's going on with him than other players. When it comes down to it the guys on tour are just people who experience the same doubts and emotional up and downs as any of us, they are just really, really good at hitting a little white ball. I never really bought that they are/were superior "mentally" (like emotionally). The pros still get nervous (even first tee gitters), they just have more experience dealing with it and some realize that being nervous doesn't affect their ability to hit good shots. Not to get too far off topic but I follow Garrett Kramer on Twitter and I like a lot of what he says. Here's a couple tweets that basically sums up the gist of his "philosophy".   
    • We almost had a major incident in a scramble this past weekend with accidentally hitting into the group in front of us.  I apologize in advance for the lengthy post as it's a bit of a vent-session since I'm still running kinda hot. Began on the 5th hole when our bomber just destroyed a ball on a medium length, blind dog leg par 4...wound up 10 yards short of the fringe.  We had not seen a group in front of us at all to that point, but saw a cart drive around the dog leg and wave...shoot, our bad.  We drove up immediately to apologize and they laughed, said no worries, and gave our guy a fist bump for such a great shot.  At this point, we slowed down so as not to be on their tail. Didn't see them again until the drivable par-4 13th.  They were clearing the green as we reached the tee box, let them get completely out of the area and we fired away...no problems.  By the par-3 14th, they were gone...having already tee'd off the 15th.  We finally get to 15, a blind up & down & up par 4.  Having not seen them in at least 20 minutes, we played away.  I hit 3rd in our group and piped a beauty right down the middle only to hear top-of-your-lungs screaming coming from out in front of us.  Apparently they were still at the bottom of the hill pitching up onto the green.  One guy drove his cart back to the top of the hill and just let out some sort of tirade that we could barely understand, which is when we realized how hammered they were.  Couldn't believe they were still down there, but waited a good 10 mins before our 4th played.  They were still on the green as we finally drove over the hill to my ball.  Before we could even attempt an apology to say we had no clue they were anywhere near us (given the previous few holes), two of their guys were hollering every four letter word and name-call possible at us...claiming it's the 3rd F-ing time (which was BS) etc etc.  Of course we hollered back sorry, twice, and when they continued to berate us from the top of the hill we snapped right back at them. Ultimately they drove off to the next tee screaming "we'll see you M-Fers again" yada yada.  We calmed down, but played the last 3 holes right on their tail.  The next few holes visually confirmed how drunk they were...happy gilmore shots, falling down from swinging, taking extra shots in a no-mulligan scramble.  We wound up being the first group to finish, and decided to just leave altogether rather than stay for the dinner.  We knew there was no way nothing would be said and/or started when they came in and decided to diffuse the situation entirely.  Talked to the person running the tourney (whom we know fairly well), let him know why we're leaving early...and he really appreciated the mature decision.  Sounds like this was a group who no one really knew, and was clearly enjoying the swing lube. All said and done, I suppose we should have driven out 200 yards from that tee to check the bottom of the hill...there aren't any bells to ring to signal all clear.  I felt awful having been the one to hit the shot and was ready to offer them all rounds at the bar after, but that faded fairly quickly after experiencing their drunken behavior, reaction, etc when we tried to clear the air and explain how it occurred from our vantage point.  We're all avid golfers and would never intentionally hit into someone for any reason whatsoever.  We were bummed to skip the dinner, but all agreed it was a very good decision.  Just an unfortunate end to what was an overall good day.  
    • I've been Playing Golf for: On and off for about 10 years, have been taking it more serious for the past 2 years
      My current handicap index or average score is: 12 ish, typically low-mid 80s
      My typical ball flight is: Very low ball flight with driver, some slices. Occasional pull with 3 wood but typically straight. Slight fade with long/mid irons. Occasional pull with wedges
      The shot I hate or the "miss" I'm trying to reduce/eliminate is: Driver height and slices, and 3 wood pull. Overall ball striking consistency needs improvement as well. Videos:    The first video is with my driver, the 2nd video starts out with my sand wedge followed by a few different mid irons (I dont remember exactly which irons they were) I have not had any formal golf lessons before, I am a former collegiate baseball player (Left-handed pitcher) and really started to try to improve at golf once I was done playing baseball. I have dropped 5 or so shots in the past year through playing/practicing more, upgrading clubs, and getting comfortable chipping/pitching onto the green. Now I feel I am at the point where I wont be able to improve much until I work on my swing and make the ball striking more consistent. My driver height is very low, and I feel that is causing me to lose distance, my 3 wood has a much better ball flight and the 2 clubs go very similar in distance (240-260). I have tried moving the ball very far forward in my stance and tilting my shoulders back at address, but the ball still comes out very low.  With the irons and wedges, consistency is my #1 problem. I will hit 3 or 4 good shots in a row, and then top one and hit one thin. I would easily drop a few shots per round if I could avoid those types of shots and at least advance the ball more than just 30 or 40 yards with a full iron shot. Any help/criticism would be greatly appreciated! Like I said I have never had any formal golf instruction before so I am interested to hear feedback.
    • Last year the Michigan Publinx Senior Golf Association was playing the Indiana version of our club in the inaugural "Challenge Cup" competition.  Team Michigan was leading going into the last day singles matches.  I was not playing very well and found myself 2 down after the 11th hole.  My opponent hit a good drive in the fairway of the 12th hole while I pushed my effort right and was blocked by some tall trees.  I wanted to see what my opponent would do and fortunately I thought to take a GPS reading that showed he was away.  He hit the green in regulation and now it was my turn.  I took a mighty lash with an ancient Taylor Made "Cleek" and hoisted my ball up & over the trees to the green.  Two putts later we halved the hole and from there I did not lose another hole, closing out the match 3 & 2.
    • Thanks and here's to many more boring future rounds!!!  Honestly, I knew I had a good front 9 but I was a little shocked that I finally broke threw when I added up my score at the end of the round.  Hopefully it wasn't just a fluky round and is a sign of good things to come (not that I suspect I'll break 80 again for some time, but it'll be nice to start playing in the low-mid 80's consistently for a change).  
  • TST Blog Entries

• Blog Entries

• Today's Birthdays

1. Dick Kusleika
      Dick Kusleika
      (48 years old)
    2. The_real_floah
      The_real_floah
      (17 years old)
  • Get Great Gear with Amazon