IGNORED

Shipping golf clubs, travel cover or in a box?

catfell
Note: This thread is 4730 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I'm going to ship my clubs for the first time so I won't have to lug them around after the golf portion of my vacation.

Am I okay just shipping them, probably via UPS ground, in a Club Glove Burst Proof bag?  Or should I box everything, including the Club Glove outer bag?

In My Bag:

Driver: Titleist 905T 10.5º
3-Wood: Titleist 904F 15º
Hybrid: Adams Idea Pro 20ºIrons: 4-PW Mizuno MP-60GW: Mizuno MP T 51ºSW: Mizuno MP T 56ºLW: Mizuno MP T 60ºPutter: Cameron Studio Stainless Newport 2

I would box them in a thick walled box. The UPS guys don't mind tossing around packages and setting heavy ones on not so heavy ones.

I just sent a handful of clubs and a bunch of balls to Afghanistan in a thick walled box with no padding aside from the bubble wrap on the drivers and a pile of junk food and they all made it there just fine.

Hyper X 10º driver Diablo Edge 9.5º backup driver

Burner Rescue 3 hybrid 4-A irons 56º wedge 60º wedge CRAZ-E putter

• 1 month later...

As a follow-up,

I shipped my clubs via UPS, and although I was told I did not need a box and would have to pay a small upcharge for an odd shaped package (my travel cover), after insuring my clubs at their replacement value, I was told that I would have to use a box.

I flew to Chicago to play a few rounds, then went on a long one-way road trip with family (no golf on the road trip), so I needed to get my clubs back to NYC where I live.  I flew back from Canada (the final destination) and my clubs met me at home.

Also, a normal golf bag box is about 6 inches too short for a club glove burst-proof travel cover.  So I had to get an extra 12"x12"x12" box to tape onto a normal golf bag box in order to fit my normal bag with the travel cover over it.

In My Bag:

Hybrid: Adams Idea Pro 20ºIrons: 4-PW Mizuno MP-60GW: Mizuno MP T 51ºSW: Mizuno MP T 56ºLW: Mizuno MP T 60ºPutter: Cameron Studio Stainless Newport 2

Mind telling me how much it ended up costing?  I have a trip to Myrtle Beach coming up and would rather not try to travel through the airport with my clubs in tow.

Carlos

@Nole77,

I'm not exactly sure about my final cost, because I have a UPS account and don't get my bill until a month later.

I would guess something in the $50 range.

If you do not have a travel cover, I highly recommend the Club Glove burst proof with wheels.

It's a good padded cover, just add a broomstick that is as long as your driver or longest club, in case the bag gets dropped on its head.

The wheels make getting around the airport or anywhere else, really easy.

Have fun in Myrtle, where are you playing?

In My Bag:

Im hoping to go to the US before winter sets in. Im just going to get a smaller stand bag and a travel bag with wheels. In the past, with a 9-10in bag, just put it in another soft travel bag, put the hood on and hoped for the best. Never had a problem and Ive dragged it from Sydney to LA and beyond a few times now, but its a bulky cumbersome way to do it. The misses would not let me take them last time, but it didnt stop me at least coming home with a new set of shiny irons.

Note: This thread is 4730 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!