IGNORED

Hi everyone...trying to put a value on an old set of clubs I was given

beagle
Note: This thread is 4739 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Hi everyone.  First off, while I enjoy golfing I'm not a knowledgeable or avid golfer.  My father in-law passed away and we've inherited some golf clubs.  It is not a complete set but we'd like to sell what we have.  I haven't a clue what they are worth or if they have much value at all.  I was hoping some of the more knowledgeable folks here could offer some opinions.

Specifics:

There are three different woods [1, 3 and 4]
There are four different irons [3,4,6 and 7]

These are MacGregors and have the following marking: Tom Weiskopf PERSONAL

I figure they are 1970s or early 80s vintage. I've no idea what the entire set cost in those days.
They're all in very good condition with only the typical smudges on the bottom of the clubs and on the face. Grips are in great condition. The clubs appear to have been well taken care of.

Does anyone have an idea what they might be worth today? Is there possible antique value to these clubs or are they a dime a dozen as they say?

What might you ask per club that would be fair and reasonable?  $2? $5? $25 per club?   I know very little about golf and clubs per se so your opinions would be a big help.  I don't even know if these would be worth getting appraised.  That's why I've come here.

I figure they might make a good starter/practice set for the right person. I realize a couple of more clubs are needed.

Beagle

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks dhanson for the pictures.  My club heads look closer to the top picture but without the yellow lines.

Unfortunately I cannot show you a picture but I'll try to describe it for you.

1. Same surface as top picture

2. Tom Weiskopf  is where those yellow lines appear.  His signature has first name and second name below first name

3. To the right of the signature is the word: P)E)R)S)O)N)A)L  as depicted with crescent shaped lines.

These clubs may in fact be of 1960s vintage.  I just don't want to sell them for $5 each of they have significant vintage value.

They are either vintage/antique clubs or simply "old" clubs that golfers have up in their attics.

I'll try and get a pic if I can.

Beagle

Go to eBay and do a search on those clubs. From there you'll have a way to view "completed listings" (there'll be a little box you can check on the left side of the screen) of the same sets. That's your best bet on determining a fair market value.

I collect old Hogan clubs and from what I've seen lately, the market has fallen out of the bottom, much like with most collectibles these days. I couldn't imagine your set would be worth more than $100. Particularly since you don't even have a complete set...

Callaway RazrFit Extreme 9.5 w/Project X 6.5
Callaway XHot Pro 15* 3Wood w/Project X 6.5
Callaway XTour 18* 2h w/S300
Callaway XHot Pro 4/5 irons w/S300
Callaway XForged III 5-PW irons w/S300
Callaway Forged 52*/58* Wedges
Odyssey 7 Versa 90
Callaway Hex Black Tour

Originally Posted by beagle

Thanks dhanson for the pictures.  My club heads look closer to the top picture but without the yellow lines.

Unfortunately I cannot show you a picture but I'll try to describe it for you.

1. Same surface as top picture

2. Tom Weiskopf  is where those yellow lines appear.  His signature has first name and second name below first name

3. To the right of the signature is the word: P)E)R)S)O)N)A)L  as depicted with crescent shaped lines.

These clubs may in fact be of 1960s vintage.  I just don't want to sell them for $5 each of they have significant vintage value.

They are either vintage/antique clubs or simply "old" clubs that golfers have up in their attics.

I'll try and get a pic if I can.

Beagle

If those clubs are worth $5 each that would be significantly more than expected.

Mizuno MP600 driver, Cleveland '09 Launcher 3-wood, Callaway FTiz 18 degree hybrid, Cleveland TA1 3-9, Scratch SS8620 47, 53, 58, Cleveland Classic 2 mid-mallet, Bridgestone B330S, Sun Mountain four5.

Note: This thread is 4739 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!