IGNORED

lighting the line?

joe28
Note: This thread is 4602 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I was recently asked a rules question that i didnt know, and cant find.  Player A and Player B are in a match and on the last hole, its dark, and both players are on the green.  Player A makes his putt.  Player B then has his caddie use a light from a cell phone to help light his line.  The question is, the lighting of the line is that a breach of the rules?

I think this would fall under Rule 8-2.

b. On the Putting Green When the player's ball is on the putting green , the player, his partner or either of their caddies may, before but not during the stroke , point out a line for putting, but in so doing the putting green must not be touched. A mark must not be placed anywhere to indicate a line for putting.

There is a decision 8-2b/1 that says it is OK for a caddie to cast a shadow to indicate the line, as long as the shadow is removed before the putt. This case seems to be pretty much the obverse. The green is not touched, and a mark is not placed, so shining a light to indicate the line of the putt would be allowable as long as the light was turned off before the player made the stroke.

Q. A caddie cast his shadow on the putting green for the purpose of indicating to the player a line for putting. Is this permissible?

A. Yes, but only if the shadow is removed prior to the stroke. (Revised)

• Upvote 2

Stretch.

"In the process of trial and error, our failed attempts are meant to destroy arrogance and provoke humility." -- Master Jin Kwon

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Personally I think there should be a reward for the ingenuity of using a shadow to indicate the line...

In the case of a light being used, probably it would be fine if the whole green was lit up since that would not show the line for the putt.

Interesting question. Pointing a line of putt by casting a shadow is rather accurate way of pointing but illuminating part of a green with a light sounds quite arbitrary to me. Then again, playing conditions should be the same for both players as far as artificially created conditions are concerned. Besides a mobile phone should not be used during the round anyway and this certainly is not a traditional way of using a mobile phone. Thus it would be a breach of 14-3.

Personally I would not allow it. If it is too dark to play the match should be suspended and continued on a following day.

Note: This thread is 4602 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!