IGNORED

Taylormade Burner 2.0: Suitable for me?

Infil
Note: This thread is 4655 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Hi everyone, new to this forum.

I started golfing somewhat regularly in late August and bought a Tigershark starter set on sale. I'm still learning the game but I definitely enjoy it and I intend to golf once a week-ish next year, take a lesson or two at the start of the season, and generally try to improve. My best score this year was 100 on a par 72 links-style course, to give you an indication of my current skill level. I wasn't happy with the beginner driver that came with the set, since I am 6'3" and play hockey, so the high-flex shaft didn't suit me well. I waited until my local Golf Town had a large demo days sale, where I could get slightly used clubs for 40-50% off (which was just at the start of this week) and went down there with the intention of buying a new driver and possibly some new irons if an amazing set popped up at a great price.

Long story short, I came away having put on layaway a set of Taylormade Burner 2.0 irons (4-9, P, S, A wedges), a 3 hybrid (stiff shaft) and 9.5deg Superfast 2.0 driver (also stiff shaft), all at roughly half price. I decided to put them on hold while I did some research on the clubs before I invest a lot of money in something that might not be for me. All reviews I can find online for these clubs seem positive... I'm a beginner golfer with lots of room to grow, and I don't want to get clubs that will be impossible for me to hit right now, but also that I'll grow out of really fast as I improve next year. Swinging in the simulator at the store, I found I typically had about 100-105 mph swing speed on my driver, if that helps.

Also, my brother caught the bug very late in the year. He's golfed 3 times in his life and is shooting around 115-120 on his first few attempts. He is also interested in picking up the same set of clubs I did (though 10.5 deg driver with regular shaft for him).

Basically, are these clubs a good buy for roughly $400 irons, $85 hybrid, $160 driver? Could I do better for this price with more looking? Are these clubs too advanced for someone like my brother who has only golfed 3 times before but wants to get better next year? I trust you guys know the club market way better than I do... I don't really know what to look for in irons or drivers, and I'd like a second opinion from the sales rep at the store. Any advice you can offer is greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Oh, one more question: the person who got me into golfing also started this summer, but he's golfed many more rounds than me and shoots consistently better. He recently decided that over the winter he'll upgrade to Titleist AP2 irons and he bought a Titleist 912 D2 driver with a custom shaft at the very end of this season. These irons and driver are a bit out of my price range right now, but how much of an advantage will these clubs give him over the Taylormade set I'm looking to buy? Does the custom shaft in the driver really make a huge difference compared to the stock Superfast shaft in my new driver? If I'm looking to keep pace with him on the course, is my equipment already not up to the task?

Check out the TaylorMade site for its iron comparison grid:

http://www.taylormadegolf.com/products/irons

Basically, the Burner 2.0 irons cast a wide net, going after the 0 - 30 HDCP golfer - just about anyone who can halfway swing a club.

Burner 2.0 Superfast driver targets the 5 - 40 HDCP range.

On the TM Store page, Burner 2.0 irons run about $699. Burner 2.0 drivers are running about $230 here and there around town. So, unless these demos really got beat up, sounds like you got a good deal.

Hopefully you got to hit these clubs on the launch monitor to get some sense of whether they will work for you. On the irons, you might have the lie angle checked to make sure they are not too upright or flat in lie for your stance.

Focus, connect and follow through!

• Completed KBS Education Seminar (online, 2015)
  • GolfWorks Clubmaking AcademyFitting, Assembly & Repair School (2012)

Driver:  :touredge: EXS 10.5°, weights neutral   ||  FWs:  :callaway: Rogue 4W + 7W
Hybrid:  :callaway: Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  :callaway: Mavrik MAX 5i-PW
Wedges:  :callaway: MD3: 48°, 54°... MD4: 58° ||  Putter:image.png.b6c3447dddf0df25e482bf21abf775ae.pngInertial NM SL-583F, 34"  
Ball:  image.png.f0ca9194546a61407ba38502672e5ecf.png QStar Tour - Divide  ||  Bag: :sunmountain: Three 5 stand bag

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

The Burner irons work across a broad range of abilities. If you end up with them, you should be able to play them for many years. As already mentioned, it's important they fit you properly. Prices sound pretty good to me.

In my Sun Mountain 14 Way Stand Bag:

Driver - Ping G30 10.5* : Fairway - Ping G30 18* : Hybrids - Titleist 915H 21* & 915 H 24* : Irons - Mizuno JPX 850 Forged 5 - GW : Wedges, Vokey 54.14, Vokey 58.12 : Putter - Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2 or Ping Craz-E-R  : Ball - Bridgestone B330RX, Cart - Cliqgear 3.5

A friend of mine was in the market for a new driver. So off we went to PGA Superstore. He went there for fitting and of course try a bunch of drivers.

My friend is around 6'1"...with a swing speed in the mid 90's.

The TM 2.0 was the driver he hit the best. He could consistently nail the drive right at the sweet spot. The numbers off the monitor also gave him the best drives.

Sounds like you found a good deal as long as they aren't beat up.     I wouldn't say that your friend would have a advantage over your set of burners. Espeically if he is just starting out too.  The AP2's are hardly a "game improvement Iron"  The burners will be more forgiving.

Taylormade Burner Superfast 2.0 Driver Taylormade Burner Superfast 2.0 3 Wood Taylormade R11 Hybrid 19* Taylormade MC Forged Irons 4-PW Taylormade XFT 52, 56 60 Wedges Scotty Cameron Newport 2 Putter Taylormade Penta Balls

Hi,

I have been looking at the TM 2.0 irons also until I read that some guys are having trouble with hot spots, about 15 yard hot spots wow! no distance control. If I could afford it I would try the Titleist AP1,s I don't think Titleist puts distance over accuracy.

Note: This thread is 4655 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!