IGNORED

Philly club to join?

hsm208
Note: This thread is 4601 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Yo, sand trap. I've been following the board for a while and just signed up. I'm looking for advice on a club to join near philly. I live in queen village- right by 95 and the ben franklin bridge. I checked out this thread but wanted to see if any new ideas had come up (http://thesandtrap.com/t/52018/philadelphia-area-course-recommendations).

What I'm looking for:

close by- under 30 min drive

walkable

good practice facilities (chipping, pitching, putting)

good greens

cheap

friendly

I'm not interested in any kind of social club, I'm in it for the golf. I'm turning 30 this summer and i know there are some clubs out there strapped for cash, so it seems like the iron is hot. Let me know what you think.

Thanks,

Hal

I lived in West Chester for a few years and I was a member at Broad Run which wasn't priced bad. If you live in Philly it's a little more difficult because it's kind of one extreme to the other. You either have a really nice expensive country club or a public course that isn't that nice. Honestly I'd find a few courses that have the right price and go check them out that's the only way you'll find what you want in a course.

Driver: i15, 3 wood: G10, Hybrid: Nickent 4dx, Irons: Ping s57, Wedges: Mizuno MPT 52, 56, 60, Putter: XG #9 

Thanks, champ. It does look that way. So far the most reasonable I've found is an intermediate membeship at Riverton CC. Anyone been there recently?

On another note, these places are unbelievable price gougers on all sorts of garbage. $10 walking fee from 9am-3pm at Bala. Wow.

Another question- how often are clubs willing to bargain the price on memberships? Is that commonly done?

Haggling over the price of a membership is possible depending on if they are hurting for members or money. The hardest part is having your ammo before you try to haggle them because is usually hard to find out what clubs are hurting for either. When I moved to MD the club I ended up joining had a deal going for people under 35 just because they didn't have many members that young. I'd keep your eyes and ears open to see if any clubs are offering any types of deals. Good luck man it's hard finding the perfect place to be a member but I'm sure you will find something out there.

Driver: i15, 3 wood: G10, Hybrid: Nickent 4dx, Irons: Ping s57, Wedges: Mizuno MPT 52, 56, 60, Putter: XG #9 

Are you limiting your search to the Pa side? Will you consider any clubs in South Jersey?

Getting from the Center City area to clubs past the Main Line via the Schuylkill Expressway will be a challenge to do in under 30 minutes. I think you're timing will be better going east into Jersey ...

Good call, Topspin. I'm looking almost exclusively in south jersey. Only snag there is the five dollar toll every time. Could get pricey with the summer i've got in mind. Here are the places I've looked at so far:

pennsauken (i'd prefer private just because i assume they'll be less crowded)
riverton (everything i've seen looks good except starting play is not until 11am. whats up with that?)
merchantville
rancocas
woodcrest
indian spring
ramblewood
Torresdale (pricey)
Springfield cc
Bala (pricey
I'm shocked by how many courses have this garbage "trail fee" for walkers. I always prefer to walk and don't think I can consent to a club that is gonna make me pay to carry my own bags. Any thoughts on these courses? I'm also definitely on the lookout for other suggestions.

• 3 weeks later...

Originally Posted by hsm208

I'm gonna go play Torresdale, but I'm afraid my wallet and my wife won't be as happy.

its only money...we are talking golf!! Tavistock is a good one but that won't be cheap either. there is always pine valley!!

Driver- Callaway Razor somthing or other
3W- Taylor Made R11S
3H Rocketballz
4I-PW- MP-59
Gap- Vokey 54

Lob- Cleveland 60

Putter- Rife

Skycaddie SG5  

Note: This thread is 4601 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!