IGNORED

Golf and Yoga

BigDog
Note: This thread is 4239 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

What I find is most golfers want a fuller range of motion in there body movements and to rid themselves of nagging aches and pains that they often attribute to aging.  They want that supple feeling they remember in their youth.  Yoga , Pilates are all very effective towards achieving  those goals.

But simple and correct stretching is more realistic for most folks.  The issue is that unlike weight lifting programs or cardio routines where you can see and feel measurable improvement in your conditioning when most people stretch they just don't see or feel measurable improvement.    So they give up and say things to themselves  like " I'm just not a flexible body type" or some similar reason and continue on with more familiar routines at the gym working on the equipment.

Fact is static stretching that we have all been exposed to since your first gym classes in grade school is a wholly inadequate protocol and the older you get  the more ineffective it gets.....and that cuts to the core issue why most folks don't like stretching and don't do it.  What you have been taught does not work.  Hah, sounds like a  bunch of bad golf instruction.  LOL.

Proprioceptive Neuromuscular Facilitation  or PNF is the real deal.  Its the owners manual for your body that should have been issued.  PNF stretching is a safe and easy to use method that involves stretching  the muscle, contracting it isometrically against resistance, then stretching it again to a new range of motion.  Once you learn it, and its simple, you will be amazed at the results.  Besides PNF the other great stretching protocol is something called Active Isolated Stretching that is pioneered by Aaron Mattes.  Like all the great golfing protocols that have been around for decades Active Isolated Stretching has been around since the 1940's.  Why more people do not know about it is a mystery.

If your interested in learning more then I would suggest Amazon and a book by Aaron Mattes  titled: Acitve Isolated Stretching, The Mattes Method.  For PNF I think the best offering is  a book DVD combo by Robert McAtee, Facilitated Stretching.    Either/both will literally change your life and put you firmly back in control of your flexibility and ROM.  There are other books and practitioners on this subject, these are just my favorites.  Plenty you can Google to learn more.

Cheers

Originally Posted by mplsgolfer

Well with those benefits, I have to say I'll give it a try.  I'm a member at LA Fitness and they do group yoga classes--is the gym class setting where you do your yoga?  Is there a book out there that you recommend for a (super) beginner?

I go to the gym 5-6x week, mostly doing cardio & light weights/high rep stuff.  I'm always open to trying new stuff to enhance the golf game through fitness, and if it means stumbling my way through a few beginner yoga classes, count me in.  Yoga has always been something i've been curious about, but never tried.  Guess this coming week I'll give it a go.

Yes. Started a few weeks ago with wife and sister-in-law in a class for "all levels" and as others have mentioned, the leader offers suggestions and modifications if you can't do the moves. She talks a lot about finding "your edge" and being sure not to go over that edge. Our little three-person accountability group work out five days a week. Yoga is our only class with others.

Russ - Student of the Moe Norman swing as taught by the pros at - http://moenormangolf.com

Titleist 910 D3 8.5* w/ Project X shaft/ Titleist 910F 15* w/ Project X shaft

Cobra Baffler 20* & 23* hybrids with Accra hybrid shafts

Mizuno MP-53 irons 5Iron-PW AeroTech i95 shafts stiff and soft stepped once/Mizuno MP T-11 50.6/56.10/MP T10 60*

Seemore PCB putter with SuperStroke 3.0

Srixon 2012 Z-Star yellow balls/ Iomic Sticky 2.3, X-Evolution grips/Titleist Lightweight Cart Bag---

extra/alternate clubs: Mizunos JPX-800 Pro 5-GW with Project X 5.0 soft-stepped shafts

As we get strongers , fitter and more flexible ( either from Yoga or Gym Workout ) , the chances are our golf game will improve.

I played better golf now after started gym 8 months ago  , without increasing my visit to the driving range.

I just won the longest drive in my club Annual Championship for both days last weekend .

Shot 76 & 82 and ended with no 6 placing ( 4 shots short of the club champ )

• Upvote 1
What I Play:
913D3 9.5°Diamana Kai'li 70 Stiff  "C3" | 910F 15°, Diamana Kai'li 80 Stiff "D2" | 910H 19°,  Diamana Kai'li for Titleist 85 Hybrid Stiff | Titleist 714 AP2 4 to P Aerotech Steelfiber i110 S | SM4 Vokey 50.12, 54.14 & SM5 60.11K| 34" Edel Umpqua + 40g Counter Weight

Originally Posted by mplsgolfer

Well with those benefits, I have to say I'll give it a try.  I'm a member at LA Fitness and they do group yoga classes--is the gym class setting where you do your yoga?  Is there a book out there that you recommend for a (super) beginner?

I go to the gym 5-6x week, mostly doing cardio & light weights/high rep stuff.  I'm always open to trying new stuff to enhance the golf game through fitness, and if it means stumbling my way through a few beginner yoga classes, count me in.  Yoga has always been something i've been curious about, but never tried.  Guess this coming week I'll give it a go.

No, it's a yoga studio. Bamboo floors, soft lighting, music. Here's a pic of it -

Not that a gym setting couldn't work, and I've never done yoga in a gym, but I like my studio. It's serene.

Definitely give it a try! There's no downside to it. It's all good.

All-In Yoga app from the iPhone. GET IT!

Its so worth the ridiculously low $.99 price. Tons of poses. Each pose has written instruction along with a video of how to get into and out of each pose and a guide to what muscles are supposed to be used.. On top of that there are pre-set routines "Quick Recipes" based on what you want to work (back, core, legs, balance) and your skill level (beginner, intermediate, advanced, guru). The Quick Recipes run with voice commands and are timed for each pose. I do the 15min Sun Salutation for Wellness every morning. Others are "Strong Abs" 51min. "Stretching" 41min. "Strong Legs" 70min. Just to name a few.

I refuse to be a craggy old man that can barely get his club pointed in the air at his backswing, let alone to parallel. I see it far too much at my club...

Callaway RazrFit Extreme 9.5 w/Project X 6.5
Callaway XHot Pro 15* 3Wood w/Project X 6.5
Callaway XTour 18* 2h w/S300
Callaway XHot Pro 4/5 irons w/S300
Callaway XForged III 5-PW irons w/S300
Callaway Forged 52*/58* Wedges
Odyssey 7 Versa 90
Callaway Hex Black Tour

I've been doing yoga about 3 years and find that it is good for eliminating small aches and pains.  It is also particularly good for giving you loosened hamstrings which is essential for keeping your posture throughout your swing.  Yoga is also a good for loosening up your hips.  A lot of people don't want to try it because they think they won't be able to do one of the positions and embarrass themselves.  I've yet to be in a class where the instructors don't offer alternative positions for those that are beyond your capability.  I would highly encourage any golfer to try yoga as a way to improve their golfing experience.

I definitely think some strength training and a stretching mobility program is a good idea for all people, and is a great idea for golfers. Since I often play as a single walk-on at my local course, I get joined up with all types of partners, but if there is one common thing I see, is that the older the golfer, the more likely that he or she just can't make the full movement of a golf swing. Some of them can still play a pretty sharp game, they keep the ball very straight and know it's going to be in play, but they can't hit with any sort of length.

I've been trying to work on my joint mobility this year, although not with as much diligence as I should, but because that at age 42 I am far too inflexible and stiff, and I've lost a noticeable amount of distance with my clubs. I want to get that distance back because I wasn't the longest hitter to begin with.

yoga is the best exercise you can do for golf.  build strength, flexibility, and learn to move your body in ways you are not used to.

i found it particularly helpful in learning to move your hips and shoulders independently, which is great for golf.

The yoga place my wife recommends I go has an introductory class, but it's only offered on a weekend and we haven't been home for me to go.  One thing I will add though, for those of you that own a Wii.  She also has the Wii Fitness Plus game, and there is a Yoga section in the game.  She turned me on to these yesterday and said the ones listed are pretty much the same as those she practices.

I felt the impact yesterday while doing them and still feel again today.  And the cool thing about the Wii is that I created/imported my Mii and have setup a 24 minute workout routine.  It's pretty amazing the feedback you get from this game.  Newegg has the game instock for $16 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16878190174&nm;_mc=KNC-GoogleAdwords&cm;_mmc=KNC-GoogleAdwords-_-pla-_-NA-_-NA (note you ned a balance board)

switching from right to lefty so: 

tinkering with a plethora of equipment and brands; I now feel like its all about mechanics and less equipment- stay tuned

Originally Posted by RonTheSavage

Yeah I do the P90X yoga routine here and there. Also there is a Yoga for Golfers DVD set. The P90X one is hard, and you can find it on Youtube.

Yeah, I was going to suggest this. The whole P90X routine is great for not only yoga (which to me is the hardest day in the program), but also for tightening your core, as wall as the rest of your body. truely a great program, and no I am not a Beach Body coach..

• 4 weeks later...

I was finally able to get into the weekend introductory course, and I'm sold on yoga.  I can't believe the 'first time' soreness in so many muscle groups.  Our instructor said the hardest thing to do will be the next 10 classes.  And I believe it.

There are plenty of websites that extoll the over-all benefits of yoga, not just from an improve my golf game perspective. I'm going to commit to eight weeks and see where things stand afterwards.

switching from right to lefty so: 

tinkering with a plethora of equipment and brands; I now feel like its all about mechanics and less equipment- stay tuned

Originally Posted by RoyHotPower

I was finally able to get into the weekend introductory course, and I'm sold on yoga.  I can't believe the 'first time' soreness in so many muscle groups.  Our instructor said the hardest thing to do will be the next 10 classes.  And I believe it.

There are plenty of websites that extoll the over-all benefits of yoga, not just from an improve my golf game perspective. I'm going to commit to eight weeks and see where things stand afterwards.

Betcha you get hooked.

I'm not at all surprised by the soreness, and yes, the next 10 classes will be difficult simple because your body is going to be placed into positins you never thought of placing it in. Here's a story I wrote a few months back to give you an idea of a typical class -

http://zipsclips.blogspot.com/2012/06/my-brain-on-yoga.html

I have gone from a 7.3 hc to a 4.9 over the past 5 months, and I'm not playing or practicing any more than usual. The only difference is I now do yoga twice a week. My swing is wonderfully loose and flowing now. All credit goes to yoga far as I'm concerned.

Note: This thread is 4239 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!