IGNORED

Should I Buy or Borrow training aids? Recommedations?

Note: This thread is 4540 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I have a few golf buddies that have many training aids, such as the medicus iron, tour striker, and the balance board. They use them frequently, and told me they would rent them to me for a few weeks to use (for $30 a training aid), but is this a good deal?

I was thinking maybe it was a good deal if I could fix my swing flaws in about a month, because then I would not need to use it ever again anyways. $30 seems to be a fair price when the medicus and tour striker brand new are going for about $120 a piece. What do think I should do?

Never used the Medicus, but the Tour Striker is something you'll want to own.  It's not a quick fix aid, it's something to work with as part of your regular practice to ensure you hit down on the ball.

Joe Paradiso

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Ive never used the Tour Striker but when I first started playing golf in the late '90s my neibor let me borrow his Medicus and it was a great training aid.

If you do anything wrong or are too quick in the swing the club hinges, which is great for helping you learn the right moves and to have a smooth swing.

Whats in my :sunmountain: C-130 cart bag?

Woods: :mizuno: JPX 850 9.5*, :mizuno: JPX 850 15*, :mizuno: JPX-850 19*, :mizuno: JPX Fli-Hi #4, :mizuno: JPX 800 Pro 5-PW, :mizuno: MP T-4 50-06, 54-09 58-10, :cleveland: Smart Square Blade and :bridgestone: B330-S

So the best way for me to know if it is going to be helpful for my game would be to probably borrow it first? Then, I should think about buying if I feel I will use it during every practice session. How do you know it will work for your swing if you haven't hit it a few times, right?

Thanks for the help.

I'd say if you're playing off 6 your game is already extremely solid. I'm not sure how much you'd get out of "training aids" versus taking lessons or analysing your swing on video.

SWING DNA
Speed [77] Tempo [5] ToeDown [5] KickAngle [6] Release [5] Mizuno JPX EZ 10.5° - Fujikura Orochi Black Eye (with Harrison ShotMaker) Mizuno JPX EZ 3W/3H - Fujikura Orochi Black Eye Mizuno JPX 850 Forged 4i-PW - True Temper XP 115 S300 Mizuno MP R-12 50.06/54.09/58.10 - Dynamic Gold Wedge Flex Mizuno MP A305 [:-P]

Good point MBD, I didn't notice his 6 handicap.

Originally Posted by MiniBlueDragon

I'd say if you're playing off 6 your game is already extremely solid. I'm not sure how much you'd get out of "training aids" versus taking lessons or analysing your swing on video.

Joe Paradiso

Originally Posted by newtogolf

Good point MBD, I didn't notice his 6 handicap.

To be fair, for most high handicap amateurs there can be a certain amount of benefit to some training aids. Since I started playing a few years ago I've had good results with various aids at various times:

• SwinGyde - Used this when I first started out to get the idea behind cocking, un-cocking and re-cocking the club. Got a lot out of it but looking back I'd have used it once I had a basic golf motion rather than at the very beginning.
  • Putting mat - Wanted to get better with putting. Made good use of this for a year or so before I just started leaving CD's around the house to put to. ;)
  • Sklz Smart Glove - Went through a phase of re-cocking the club too quickly and not maintaining the left flat wrist/flying wedge. This helped greatly.
  • A house brick (the ones with holes in) - Was continually chicken-winging and wanted to get the feeling of the arms being extended after impact. Also had issue with not thrusting the hips enough. Painted a brick with white gloss paint to stop it being powdery and used it like in one of David Wedzig's drills ( http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OaYRLdKk32U )
  • Alignment sticks - Still use these now for various drills or pieces I'm working on.
  • Tour Striker - Got this a few weeks back. Amazing idea and works exactly as described. Highly recommended for getting the hands forward at impact without heaving to "drill" it.

Also ironic that "TheGolfAdvisor" is asking for advice on training aids? heh

SWING DNA
Speed [77] Tempo [5] ToeDown [5] KickAngle [6] Release [5] Mizuno JPX EZ 10.5° - Fujikura Orochi Black Eye (with Harrison ShotMaker) Mizuno JPX EZ 3W/3H - Fujikura Orochi Black Eye Mizuno JPX 850 Forged 4i-PW - True Temper XP 115 S300 Mizuno MP R-12 50.06/54.09/58.10 - Dynamic Gold Wedge Flex Mizuno MP A305 [:-P]

Unless you are using them constantly, it seems pretty cheap of your friends to talk about renting them to you. Most training aids will not wear out and are not used often enough. Obviously in the future when you buy other ones you would recipericate.

Originally Posted by TheGolfAdvisor

I have a few golf buddies that have many training aids, such as the medicus iron, tour striker, and the balance board. They use them frequently, and told me they would rent them to me for a few weeks to use (for $30 a training aid), but is this a good deal?

I was thinking maybe it was a good deal if I could fix my swing flaws in about a month, because then I would not need to use it ever again anyways. $30 seems to be a fair price when the medicus and tour striker brand new are going for about $120 a piece. What do think I should do?

Quote:

Unless you are using them constantly, it seems pretty cheap of your friends to talk about renting them to you. Most training aids will not wear out and are not used often enough. Obviously in the future when you buy other ones you would recipericate.

Super cheap!  I mean, if it's such a burden for them not to get to use them for a month, then $30 makes up for that?!  The only reasonable answers seem to be either, "No, sorry dude, I use that thing like 5 days a week.  You'll have to get your own", or "Yeah, I only use it once in a while anymore.  Try it out and see if you want one of your own".  The, "you can rent it for a few weeks for $30" just seems cheap and lame.  Some friend...

Matt

Mid-Weight Heavy Putter
Cleveland Tour Action 60˚
Cleveland CG15 54˚
Nike Vapor Pro Combo, 4i-GW
Titleist 585h 19˚
Tour Edge Exotics XCG 15˚ 3 Wood
Taylormade R7 Quad 9.5˚

haha, yea that's true, they should let me try them out for free anyways, but if they insist on $30, isn't it better than buying a training aid for $120 and only using it a few times? I would like to make sure I really need the training aid, and this might be the best option, don't you think?

Note: This thread is 4540 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!