IGNORED

Just one Brand in the Bag

tomvk77
Note: This thread is 4435 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

From 1983 to 1994, I had all MacGregor MT irons and woods. Only exception was a Bullseye putter.

Got the Mac MT irons in 1974, and picked up a custom driver and Sounder 3W and 4W starting the following year. Got MT sand wedge about 1979.

In 1983 I traded the custom driver and the Sounders for a MacGregor MT trio. MT driver was OK, but it never caught the ball quite like the deep-faced custom driver I traded for it.

Now I have lots of Callaway, but think their wedges have too much bounce. So, I go with Cleveland. Also, putter is Ping, and I have TM Raylor for 5W. To stay a contrarian, I replaced my old Sun Mountain bag with a newer Sun Mt 3.5 stand bag.

If any golf club company rep out there think I should play your brand exclusively, make me an offer...

• Upvote 1

Focus, connect and follow through!

• Completed KBS Education Seminar (online, 2015)
  • GolfWorks Clubmaking AcademyFitting, Assembly & Repair School (2012)

Driver:  :touredge: EXS 10.5°, weights neutral   ||  FWs:  :callaway: Rogue 4W + 7W
Hybrid:  :callaway: Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  :callaway: Mavrik MAX 5i-PW
Wedges:  :callaway: MD3: 48°, 54°... MD4: 58° ||  Putter:image.png.b6c3447dddf0df25e482bf21abf775ae.pngInertial NM SL-583F, 34"  
Ball:  image.png.f0ca9194546a61407ba38502672e5ecf.png QStar Tour - Divide  ||  Bag: :sunmountain: Three 5 stand bag

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I've always had a mixed bag. I don't think it's worth buying all one brand unless they are really the best fit for you. Just matching your clubs to have one brand could possible hurt your game. Right now I have no driver, but will get a new one soon, Cobra woods and hybrid, Mizuno irons, Titleist wedges, and a Cameron putter. If the driver ends up to be a Titleist that'll be getting close but the Mizuno's won't be going anywhere soon.

DRIVER | Titleist 913D 10.5* 

WOODS | Titleist 913F.d 15* 

HYBRID | Titleist 913H 19* :titleist:

IRONS | Titleist 714 AP1 4-P :titleist:

WEDGES | Titleist Vokey 48*, 52*,56* 

PUTTER | Scotty Cameron GoLo 5 

BALL | Titleist Pro V1x  

I have a Founders Club putter, so after Ben makes me a sweet deal on his Founders Club blades, I'll just need some wedges, woods, and a driver.

Mizuno MP600 driver, Cleveland '09 Launcher 3-wood, Callaway FTiz 18 degree hybrid, Cleveland TA1 3-9, Scratch SS8620 47, 53, 58, Cleveland Classic 2 mid-mallet, Bridgestone B330S, Sun Mountain four5.

Its all personal preference.  If you like all 1 brand of clubs and they work for you, thats cool.  If not, thats cool too.  Unless you are under contract to play a certain brand of clubs it really doesnt matter.

As long as youre happy with your set, having all 1 brand of clubs is no more or less foolish than having a mixture of brands.

Whats in my :sunmountain: C-130 cart bag?

Woods: :mizuno: JPX 850 9.5*, :mizuno: JPX 850 15*, :mizuno: JPX-850 19*, :mizuno: JPX Fli-Hi #4, :mizuno: JPX 800 Pro 5-PW, :mizuno: MP T-4 50-06, 54-09 58-10, :cleveland: Smart Square Blade and :bridgestone: B330-S

Quote:

Pretty much a foolish path to go down.

You end up making compromises - and for what? - So that you have one name?

For money.  I play almost all Callaway because of their trade-in program.  Their pre-owned program gives you way more than any other site for good condition callaway clubs.  I still have my cleveland wedges, but those will be replaced by Jaws someday.  Callaway has been really good for me.  They assign you an actual salesman - not something most sites do - so I have a guy i can just shoot an email "hey, want to order a 3 hybrid, my specs, credit card on file" its just done.  Thats nice.

Recently I traded in my old clubs (FT Driver, Odyssey Putter, Set of x-20 irons) for new pre-owned clubs (Razr Hawk driver, irons incl. 3 hybrids) and only had a charge of $77.50 because of the trade in value.  its a really nice way to upgrade your clubs so I just do that usually when I want to upgrade.

I have a lot of Taylormade because of deals that I got on them a few years ago, but none of their irons felt as good as the Mizuno MX25's I was playing at the time, so I never had their irons.  When it came time to buy new irons, I went with another set of Mizunos because I liked them better, even though I could have gotten R9's for cheaper.

Now that I've moved and no longer have my Taylormade hook-up, and a lot of my clubs are aging, I am replacing my putter with a Scotty and my wedges with Scratch 1018's, so there will be even more of a mixed bag.  Because they felt the best and I like the way I hit them better than what I'm gaming currently.

I have been hitting a bunch of drivers and fairway woods lately, but haven't found anything that feels considerably better or is considerably longer than my R9's, so they'll stay for a while until I find something I like better, no matter what the brand name is.

I've got almost all one brand in my bag Taylormade driver, 5 wood and hybrid, irons, and Rossa putter so also Taylormade, my 56 is a nike sv tour which I love (really r underrated) and my 60 is a Vokey. Incidently my 60 which was a gift doesn't nearly have enough bounce for what I want to do with it but thats another story

Originally Posted by sean_miller

I have a Founders Club putter, so after Ben makes me a sweet deal on his Founders Club blades, I'll just need some wedges, woods, and a driver.

Back in 1990, that Founders Club driver was THE club to have.  People were like, "What's that?  Where did you get it??"

Kevin

Titleist 910 D3 9.5* with ahina 72 X flex
Titleist 910F 13.5* with ahina 72 X flex
Adams Idea A12 Pro hybrid 18*; 23* with RIP S flex
Titleist 712 AP2 4-9 iron with KBS C-Taper, S+ flex
Titleist Vokey SM wedges 48*, 52*, 58*
Odyssey White Hot 2-ball mallet, center shaft, 34"

I'm all Titleist except for the hybrid and putter.  Just ditched my Titleist 909h because I hated it.  Not out of an effort to be all 1 brand, but because I like their stuff.  Been using Titleist woods and wedges for years, and last year I ditched my Mizuno irons in favor of AP2 and haven't looked back.

Play what you like.  If you like all TM, then why not?  You specifically asked about a replacement for your baffler:  TM and Adams make the best hybrids on the market, IMO.

Kevin

Titleist 910 D3 9.5* with ahina 72 X flex
Titleist 910F 13.5* with ahina 72 X flex
Adams Idea A12 Pro hybrid 18*; 23* with RIP S flex
Titleist 712 AP2 4-9 iron with KBS C-Taper, S+ flex
Titleist Vokey SM wedges 48*, 52*, 58*
Odyssey White Hot 2-ball mallet, center shaft, 34"

Been running Taylormade for my woods, Mizuno for my irons, and Titleist for my wedges. Edel putter, but sometimes I'll use my Scotty.

Driver: :tmade: R11 9.0 - Bassara Griffin UL - Tour Stiff 3-wood: :tmade: R11 Ti 15.0 - JAVLNFX M6 - Stiff Hybrid: :tmade: Rescue Hybrid - JAVLNFX Hybrid - Stiff 4-PW: :mizuno: JPX 800 PRO - Nippon 1150 GH Tour - Stiff Wedges: :edel: 50/56/60 - Nippon WV 125 Putter/Ball/RF: :edel: / :bridgestone: B330 / :leupold: GX-3i

Not sure if I would call someone with all one brand foolish. A big part of this game is the marketing aspect so if someone wants to go with all one brand then whats the harm in wanting to be associated with that one brand? It's just a hobby after all and it's yours to do what you like with it.

Originally Posted by 1par2win

Not sure if I would call someone with all one brand foolish. A big part of this game is the marketing aspect so if someone wants to go with all one brand then whats the harm in wanting to be associated with that one brand? It's just a hobby after all and it's yours to do what you like with it.

You could just as easily call someone foolish who likes TM woods or Mizuno irons saying they are buying into the marketing hype as you could someone who has all 1 brand of clubs in their bag.

Woods: :mizuno: JPX 850 9.5*, :mizuno: JPX 850 15*, :mizuno: JPX-850 19*, :mizuno: JPX Fli-Hi #4, :mizuno: JPX 800 Pro 5-PW, :mizuno: MP T-4 50-06, 54-09 58-10, :cleveland: Smart Square Blade and :bridgestone: B330-S

I was nearly all Taylormade a couple years back, then bought a callaway driver and the bag blew up from there, little of everything now. I dont think it is crazy to see a "all one brand" bag. Uniformity can be a good thing to some golfers.  But there so many option to customize.

In the Bag:

X Driver, 3w & 5w

Ironwood 4 hybrids

Putter: BigT special

Originally Posted by BigT

I was nearly all Taylormade a couple years back, then bought a callaway driver and the bag blew up from there, little of everything now. I dont think it is crazy to see a "all one brand" bag. Uniformity can be a good thing to some golfers.  But there so many option to customize.

Bottom line, its your bag and as long as you arent under contract to a certain brand, you can use whatever the heck you want.  Theres a lot of people out there who think that Mizuno woods suck.  Well guess what?  I love my Mizuno woods.

When I use my Nickent Proto putter instead of my Tad Moore, I have all Nickent in my bag.

Wishon  715 CLC-AXE5 A shaft -hard steppedt -44.5"
4 wood-Infiniti 17*-UST IROD A shaft-Hard stepped(2009 model)
Hybrids 19* & 24*-Trident DSW-UST IROD Hybrid A shaft-hard stepped (2009 model)
Irons-5-PW- Wilson Staff Progressive Forged-TT Release  sensicore( 5&6-Soft stepped R-7,8&9-R-wedge hard stepped R
Wedges-52*-Wilson JP BeCE(54* bent to 52*)-TT-Release sensicore-hard stepped R

56*Wilson R-61 BECU Sandy Andy- Release sensicore tipped same as 8 iron

60* Wilson Harmonized BECU-Release sensicore tipped same as 8 iron

Woods- Star Grips  Irons Energy Grips

:Putter-Rife IBF with Ping Blackout Grip-35"

Ball-Wilson Staff Zip Golf. or C-25

Originally Posted by tomvk77

Hey Guys,

Who off you has just one brand in the bag?

In a few weeks i will have an all Taylormade bag.

I never had this before. I recently bought the

taylormade R11 rescue TP 16 degrees, with the aldila rip hybrid shaft Stiff (85gram)

What will replace my cobra baffler pro ( i don't like this club ).

My Titleist Vokey wedges are worn down so i needed to replace them.

I tought i would give the all new Taylormade ATV's a go. This together

with my R11 driver and 3 wood and the tour preferred irons and also my ghost tour 770 putter makes my bag all Taylormade.

I guess you will have to start playing a Penta ball now, instead of Wilson Staff FG Tour!

Wishon  715 CLC-AXE5 A shaft -hard steppedt -44.5"
4 wood-Infiniti 17*-UST IROD A shaft-Hard stepped(2009 model)
Hybrids 19* & 24*-Trident DSW-UST IROD Hybrid A shaft-hard stepped (2009 model)
Irons-5-PW- Wilson Staff Progressive Forged-TT Release  sensicore( 5&6-Soft stepped R-7,8&9-R-wedge hard stepped R
Wedges-52*-Wilson JP BeCE(54* bent to 52*)-TT-Release sensicore-hard stepped R

56*Wilson R-61 BECU Sandy Andy- Release sensicore tipped same as 8 iron

60* Wilson Harmonized BECU-Release sensicore tipped same as 8 iron

Woods- Star Grips  Irons Energy Grips

:Putter-Rife IBF with Ping Blackout Grip-35"

Ball-Wilson Staff Zip Golf. or C-25

I like that Wilson Staff was known as my Grandfather's clubs, and then fell out of popularity and recently has pretty much become the unknown red-headed stepchild underdog.  But then their philosophy and product line has really come around in the last few years and I very much relate to what they're doing....so much so that I carry an entire W/S bag.  No W/S bag....but that could be next!

• 2 weeks later...

I started the year with no intentions of having a 1 brand bag but it appears its going to be that way.  I have been a big taylormade guy as long as I have been golfing.  The last time I was close to being a 1 brand man was when I had R11 tp driver, R11 tp 3 wood, R11 rescue, R9 tp irons but I did have a scottie Cameron.  I started this year looking for irons.  My constant pursuit of golf greatness has lead me through every brand of irons on the market.  Mizuno mp52, Nike VR pro combo, R9 tp, Adams CB2.  Since its a new year I decided to start it with new irons and not make a change in mid season as I always do.  Having my R11 woods I figured lets find the irons to compliment them.  To make a long story short I just added Ping i20 irons to my bag (best decision I have ever made).  And since I got such a good deal trading in a lot of my unused golf gear I decided to get the i20 driver.  And since I have only missed 3 fairways in 3 rounds with the driver and finished my round today with a 325 yard drive on 18.  I will be getting the i20 3 wood and matching hybrid (both performed great for me in my last 2 trips to golfsmith).  But to answer the question I will not be replacing my Taylormade Spider belly putter until they tell me I cant play it anymore.  And I also carry a Nike 58* wedge.  But I will be as much Ping as possible, first time owner of Ping golf gear and I am not sure I will go back to the marketing giant that is Taylormade.  It seems they drop a new line of gear ever 6 weeks or so and that should save me some money in the long run :).

Note: This thread is 4435 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!