IGNORED

Professional club fitting for beginners?

Rednax1530
Note: This thread is 2075 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

If you are going to buy used clubs then it might beneficial to go get fitted and shell out the $60 or so dollars to at least the the length and lie angles that match your swing. Given the shafts can change that a bit because they flex differently, but you would probably be closer then going in blind.

There was a post here at TST a while back about counterfeit Mizunos purchased on Ebay so that has me a bit nervous towards buying used. I think I'll stay with a certified dealer and go new. It may be the only time I buy a new set.

Now for my existing driver, with everything I've learned in the last year about how important that club is towards lowering my score, it might be worth putting some money towards a proper fitting.

As for caste clubs, they can be bent but not as much, maybe a 1 degree at most. Forged clubs can be bent a lot more. Lets say you buy ping, they can get you a wide range of lie angles because they just use a different caste mold. So it isn't impossible to get the fitting you want in caste clubs. It might be more important to get it close as possible with caste clubs because of they are a bit more difficult to bend afterwards.

That makes sense. All good advice. Thank you.

Jon

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I am on my third season coming up. Lessons before every season. Had my fitting a month ago and had a whole set built including putter. Fitting was excellent. Clubs are even better. Just wicked. Was about the same as walking into big box store and buying off the rack price wise but I feel not even close to quality and selection of components used. I feel if I built the set in a big box type store it would have been much more. My first set was a used set purchased from a friend that is 6" shorter than me.

• 3 years later...

I started golfing in my early teens back in the beginning of the 70's.  Through my high school and college days I used to get out once or twice a week.  Then life hit with work, a wife and finally kids.  That put an end to my golf days except for maybe once or twice a year.  I never had good clubs.  My Dad bought me a Spalding starter set when I began playing and those are what I have today.

Now I'm 60 and preparing for retirement.  The kids are gone and the wife and I figured we couldn't sit around staring at each other so I thought I'd take up golfing again.  So I dusted off the very old clubs and have started hitting some balls at the range.  I have also begun to take some lessons.  At the range I've had a chance to use some of my friends clubs which have a lot newer technology.  They aren't top of the line but I hit them farther and much more consistently than I do with my old clubs.

So, in line with this topic, should I get fitted for a new set of clubs now or wait for another year or so until my swing gets more consistent?

This is a common question and the majority feels it’s a good idea. What’s important is to get a good fitter. Tell him/her your situation and I’m sure it will benefit you. A beginner won’t get all bogged down with minute changes that an experienced golfer is affected by but you’ll benefit from not only the static fitting but your swing speed and  ball flight determination based on the clubs you’re testing (shaft specifications.) it’s also nice to know that being fitted you have that basic confidence that at least the clubs are fit and that’s not another obstacle hindering your improvement. Cheers and welcome to TST!

:ping: G25 Driver Stiff :ping: G20 3W, 5W :ping: S55 4-W (aerotech steel fiber 110g shafts) :ping: Tour Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* :nike: Method Putter Floating clubs: :edel: 54* trapper wedge

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

5 hours ago, Vinsk said:

This is a common question and the majority feels it’s a good idea. What’s important is to get a good fitter. Tell him/her your situation and I’m sure it will benefit you. A beginner won’t get all bogged down with minute changes that an experienced golfer is affected by but you’ll benefit from not only the static fitting but your swing speed and  ball flight determination based on the clubs you’re testing (shaft specifications.) it’s also nice to know that being fitted you have that basic confidence that at least the clubs are fit and that’s not another obstacle hindering your improvement. Cheers and welcome to TST!

Thanks for your response.  I've only been around for a short while but I've found a lot of great information on this site.  Regards.

Note: This thread is 2075 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!