IGNORED

My swing is totally messed up

Note: This thread is 6190 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Ok so lately I've been playing pretty well shot a 40 on friday and was hitting everything great then I go to play on Saturday... and I can't hit for beans!!!!!! I seem to be hitting everything off the heel of my club. I've been almost skull hooking and I cannot hit a solid shot with my irons which is very unusual for me. I can't figure out what is going on... I think it might be my glove because it is stretched and slides when I swing which I think is causing the face of the club to become not square. Most likely its not my glove though. Any suggestions? Anyone. Anything helps.

Thanks
~Brian

in the bag

Driver: 909D2 9.5° Oban Devotion Shaft

3 Wood: G10 15.5°
Hybrid: 3dx RC 20° Ironwood 

4-PW: MP-57's S300

Wedges: 51° MP-T Black Nickel 56° Vokey Spin Milled 

Putter: Tracy II 35" Iomic Grip 

Ball: Pro V1x

dude the same thing is happening to me! i can't seem to post new topics so here is my story.

ok ive been playing for about a year with no lessons. before my first lesson, my low score was an 89. i had my first lesson last monday. it was actually just a clinic where there were about 13 people and 3 pros. it was only supposed to be an hour long but i was there for 2 hours and the head pro was actually helping me individually in this extra time. i was hitting the ball pretty well going into the lesson and was seeking consistency. during the lesson i hit the ball well and the tips and instruction of the pro helped me hit the ball cleaner and it did seem to help with consistency.

the next day, my buddy and i went to play a round and i had the best driving 9 holes of my life. i hit the fringes of the green on two par 4's and hit a 375 yard drive on a par 5 with about a 15 mph downwind. best drive of my life. i was hitting the ball great the rest of the 9. the back 9, we paired up with some people we didn't know cause of a very slow group in front and my swing fell apart. i tend to get nervous when i play with strangers and i guess thats what happened. i was still on cloud 9 from the front 9 and didn't think anything of it.

i didn't swing a club again until friday when i went to the range and had the worst range session in 5-6 months. every drive was a slice. EVERY SINGLE DRIVE. im talking 100+ yard slicers. 80% of my iron shots were slicing. only my wedges went straight. i had just gotten out of the gym and didn't get much sleep the night before so i thought it was a fluke session.

i just got back from the range today and while i did improve a little since friday, im still slicing like crazy and something just feels terrible. the thing is, i haven't sliced the ball like this since i first started about a year ago now. when i miss-hit, its a hook and has been for at least 3-4 months. this slice came out of no where.

is this common after having a lesson? ive heard a couple stories of friends having a lesson and playing horrible for a couple weeks afterwards. have i lost my swing? i felt like quitting this game after these past two range sessions.

When something like that happens to me, I like to take a 7i and hit some 1/2 swing shots. Just to make solid contact.

Take your normal stance, grip, etc.....and be RELAXED. Take the club back to hip level and swing through to hip level. Nice slow back swing, then accelerate through the ball. Don't pay attention to how far it goes...just concentrate on the FEEL and SOUND of a solid shot. Then do it with a 3/4 swing, then eventually to a full shot.

This is a tip someone on this message board gave to me and it works (for me anyway).

Sometimes you just gotta start from scratch and build yourself back up.

Good luck!

is this common after having a lesson? ive heard a couple stories of friends having a lesson and playing horrible for a couple weeks afterwards. have i lost my swing? i felt like quitting this game after these past two range sessions.

I had that after each and every lesson, but I eventually adapted and improved again. My biggest problem were shanks--without fail, I was shanking every iron in the bag, with no explanation for it. I eventually corrected my swing to compensate for the different grip (it had been due to the pro changing my grip), and now, never hit a hosel rocket.

It hurts, though, when you shank a whole bucket of balls on the range with no real explanation as to why you can't hit the ball properly.
"Shouldn't you be going faster? I mean, you're doing 40 in a 65..."

Driver: Burner TP 9.5*
3 Wood: 906F2 15*
2I: Eye 23I-PW: 3100 I/HWedges: Vokey Spin-Milled 56*06, MP-R 52*07/60*05Putter: Victoria IIBall: Pro V1xCheck out my new blog: Thousand Yard DriveHome Course: Kenton County...

[QUOTE=
is this common after having a lesson? ive heard a couple stories of friends having a lesson and playing horrible for a couple weeks afterwards. have i lost my swing? i felt like quitting this game after these past two range sessions.[/QUOTE]

I had similar experiences during/after a group of lessons. All of a sudden i started shanking nearly every ball at the range. This went on for several range sessions but on the course i was hitting it great and scoring well. Explained this to pro at next lesson and he reckoned it was possibly due to over exagerating the swing changes on the range, and then when on the course i was getting things right, due to the range practice.

You know what it's like after a lesson. It's very easy to over do what you've been taught, but when you get on the course your natural swing tends to come in to play, but hopefully with the swing changes improving it gradually.

You haven't mentioned how you have faired on the course. Here's hoping you leave the poor shots at the range.

G5 Driver
G2 3 & 5 Wood
i5 3 - PW Irons
52 tour wedge
56 tour wedge Putter Pro VI ball bag

Note: This thread is 6190 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!