IGNORED

cannot fix my slice!!

Note: This thread is 4389 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Learn how to hook the ball.  That's how I cured my slice.  A few things to learn how to hook/draw the ball...  Rotate your right hand over (for righties) just before contact...like you're trying to shake hands with the target.  Your right hand index finger's knuckle will be pointing up when rotating your hand.  This helps to square up the club face.  Just my 2 cents.

As I mentioned in the 'what are you working on' thread, I've got a NASTY push slice that I've been struggling to overcome. FIxed the over the top move and flattened my swing place a bit, but was still slicing....My thinking is that while I'm attacking from the inside, I'm not closing the face properly. Only 'cure' I've come up with thus far is going to a bit stronger of a grip and closing the clubface at address....Hit a few hooks, but no more slice. Plan on posting some video soon to see if there is anything else I'm missing...

"If you watch a game, it's fun. If you play it, it's recreation. If you work at it, it's golf."

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I have been trying to learn to golf for the last nine months.  As recently as two months ago if I would hit a driver, the ball would go about a hundred yards straight, and a hundred yards to the right.  I am not exaggerating.  It really was that bad.

I am just now starting to get this under control.  The key for me was club head path.  Mine was outside to in, and this was amplified with longer clubs, and whenever I moved the ball forward.  Put a driver in my hand, and move the ball all the way forward, and I could literally never hit a playable shot, no matter how softly I swung the club.

In retrospect, I wish an instructor would have just set something (like a golf ball bucket) about a foot behind the ball many months ago.  If that had happened, I would have understood the desired diagonal clubhead path much sooner, and could have been much farther along in the development of my game.

Well ive finally cracked my own driving woes tonights Ive had my driver shortened from the ridiculous 46,25" inches it was to 43.5" inches Ive started teeing it up so only a quarter of the ball shows above the crown Ive moved the ball to inline with my left eye At address, instead of grounding the club i hover it behind Straight, straight, atraight, draw, baby fade, straight straight Im so stoked its unreal! Lost no more than 10 yardd distance with shortening the shaft, but shot dispersion down to 40 yardss rather than 100 or so!

:tmade: Driver: TM Superfast 2.0 - 9.5degree - Reg flex
:mizuno: 3 Wood: JPX800 - 16* Exhsar5 Stiff
:mizuno: 3 - PW: MP-67 Cut Muscle back - S300 stiff
:slazenger: Sand Wedge: 54degree, 12degree bounce
:slazenger: Lob Wedge: 60degree 10degree bounce
:ping: Putter: Karsten 1959 Anser 2 Toe weighted
:mizuno: Bag - Cart Style

one drill I've tried to reduce slice is to put a tee or headcover or something just outside and just behind the ball and swing without hitting the headcover or tee to make sure you're coming from the inside.

Driver: Machspeed Black 9.5  

3 wood:  Insight  

Hybrid:   A4  19 degree

Irons:   CG red 4-PW  

Wedges:   CG12  56 degree and CG10 60 degree

Putter:  White Hot XG Sabertooth

Originally Posted by carpediem4300

Well ive finally cracked my own driving woes tonights

Ive had my driver shortened from the ridiculous 46,25" inches it was to 43.5" inches

Ive started teeing it up so only a quarter of the ball shows above the crown

Ive moved the ball to inline with my left eye

At address, instead of grounding the club i hover it behind

Straight, straight, atraight, draw, baby fade, straight straight

Im so stoked its unreal!

Lost no more than 10 yardd distance with shortening the shaft, but shot dispersion down to 40 yardss rather than 100 or so!

Nice.  I'm reshafting my driver.  Deciding how short to go with it.  It's 46" right now.  Deciding between 45" and 44.5".

Driver:  Callaway Diablo Octane 9.5*
3W:  Callaway GBB II 12.5*, 5W:  Callaway Diablo 18* Neutral
3H:  Callaway Razr X, 4H:  Callaway Razr X
5-PW:  Callaway X Tour
GW:  Callaway X Tour 54*, SW:  Callaway X Tour 58*
Putter:  Callaway ITrax, Scotty Cameron Studio Design 2, Ping Anser 4

Nice.  I'm reshafting my driver.  Deciding how short to go with it.  It's 46" right now.  Deciding between 45" and 44.5".

I uswd tape to measure different lengths and hit balls, 43.5" was my most consistent but its awkward just choking down due to the grip size thinning alot,....once i got it cut down and re-gripped it felt better and hit better than before! Im 5,9" tall and short arms so i think 46.25" was way to long for me, ...i could probably manage a little longer than it is now buy i want pure accuracy over distance tbh,...im still shipping it out ther220-240 but cus my loft is 9.5* i get alot of roll aswell

:tmade: Driver: TM Superfast 2.0 - 9.5degree - Reg flex
:mizuno: 3 Wood: JPX800 - 16* Exhsar5 Stiff
:mizuno: 3 - PW: MP-67 Cut Muscle back - S300 stiff
:slazenger: Sand Wedge: 54degree, 12degree bounce
:slazenger: Lob Wedge: 60degree 10degree bounce
:ping: Putter: Karsten 1959 Anser 2 Toe weighted
:mizuno: Bag - Cart Style

Best piece of advice I have ever received is to take and bucket of balls and slice every single one of them. In your case it would be the opposite take a bucket of balls and hook every single one of them.

Originally Posted by paddlefoot

Rotate your right hand over (for righties) just before contact.

That is not good advice. You do not want to rotate you hands before impact, that will cause you to hook the ball more often then straight.

If you are slicing the ball it is normally do to an out to in path. In some cases the grip may be to weak if you are hitting a push slice.

5 Simple Keys® Associate

"Golf is not a game of great shots. It's a game of the most accurate misses.

The people who win make the smallest mistakes." - Gene Littler

Originally Posted by Mizuno Guy

Best piece of advice I have ever received is to take and bucket of balls and slice every single one of them. In your case it would be the opposite take a bucket of balls and hook every single one of them.

You would be better off to learn how to swing the club on the correct path.

5 Simple Keys® Associate

Originally Posted by EverythingGolf

You would be better off to learn how to swing the club on the correct path.

True but one of the more successful ways to fix a slice is to get them to hook the ball then bring them back to straight.

Originally Posted by Mizuno Guy

True but one of the more successful ways to fix a slice is to get them to hook the ball then bring them back to straight.

You don't want to do that because all you are teaching them is to turn there hands over through impact, you don't want to turn your hands over through impact.

If they are slicing the ball, the ball starts relatively straight then curves, the face is not the issue its the path. They need to swing more from the inside to hit it straight or a draw, not a hook.

• Upvote 1

5 Simple Keys® Associate

I dont hit it right then Slice.. I hit it where I am then halfway into flight it starts turning and then slices more and more.. I can aim to the left side of the fairway and it goes out right where I am aiming then about 150 out it turns right and then ends up in the right rough/trees/water..etc.. I hit it 250-270 but Only 40% stay on the left half of the fairway.. 10% land on right half of fairway.. other 50% end up off the fairway..

Originally Posted by JGLindner73

I dont hit it right then Slice.. I hit it where I am then halfway into flight it starts turning and then slices more and more.. I can aim to the left side of the fairway and it goes out right where I am aiming then about 150 out it turns right and then ends up in the right rough/trees/water..etc.. I hit it 250-270 but Only 40% stay on the left half of the fairway.. 10% land on right half of fairway.. other 50% end up off the fairway..

If it starts straight then curves that is just a path issue. It is caused by an out to in path.

5 Simple Keys® Associate

Originally Posted by EverythingGolf

You don't want to do that because all you are teaching them is to turn there hands over through impact, you don't want to turn your hands over through impact.

If they are slicing the ball, the ball starts relatively straight then curves, the face is not the issue its the path. They need to swing more from the inside to hit it straight or a draw, not a hook.

I agree with several pots by EverythingGolf here.  "Fixing" a slice should have little to do with rotating or manipulating the hands and clubface.  While an agressive rolling of the wrist may help temporarily cure the slice, a golfer heeding this advice with an out-to-in swing path will end up aligning far right, only to pull hook the ball back into play.  Breaking the muscle memory and alignment issues from here become very difficult.

The OP needs to study the ball flight laws and understand the root-cause of side spin on the golf ball.  A bit of hard work on swing plane and proper impact position will reap years of benefit for any golfer.

In the Bag: TaylorMade R11 TP - TaylorMade R7 TP TS - Cleveland Halo - TM TP 2009 3-PW - Vokey SM 52 - Vokey SM 60 - Rife Barbados CS - ProV1x 

On the Computer:  Analyzr Pro 

Originally Posted by JGLindner73

Take a look at the "ball flight laws" and fix the path of the club :)

In the Bag: TaylorMade R11 TP - TaylorMade R7 TP TS - Cleveland Halo - TM TP 2009 3-PW - Vokey SM 52 - Vokey SM 60 - Rife Barbados CS - ProV1x 

On the Computer:  Analyzr Pro 

Originally Posted by delav

I agree with several pots by EverythingGolf here.  "Fixing" a slice should have little to do with rotating or manipulating the hands and clubface.  While an agressive rolling of the wrist may help temporarily cure the slice, a golfer heeding this advice with an out-to-in swing path will end up aligning far right, only to pull hook the ball back into play.  Breaking the muscle memory and alignment issues from here become very difficult.

The OP needs to study the ball flight laws and understand the root-cause of side spin on the golf ball.  A bit of hard work on swing plane and proper impact position will reap years of benefit for any golfer.

Yes, good post, you need to understand how swing path causes a slice before you can fix a slice.  If you really want to fix it and not just a mid-round band-aid you have to change your swing path

Driver: Machspeed Black 9.5  

3 wood:  Insight  

Hybrid:   A4  19 degree

Irons:   CG red 4-PW  

Wedges:   CG12  56 degree and CG10 60 degree

Putter:  White Hot XG Sabertooth

Note: This thread is 4389 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!