IGNORED

Fakes, clones, knock-offs OH MY!!

Note: This thread is 6181 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I guess I never thought bout it....but I had no idea that there were FAKE clubs....Sure...bootleg dvd's, and etc.....but fake clubs....I mean.....300 vs 900. It's hard to try and convince one to buy the real thing...unless were talking bout a legal issue. And frankly...I could you really tell. I mean me....15 handicapper hit a set of OLD Ti-100 tommy armours now. Then you have the Turbo Power series and hatever...that are the clones...These are not fake, but just equivalent. And they are a little cheaper than the fakes....Anyone ever bought a set of these so called fakes and did not know...Did they shatter on impact? Thanx

Eric Camper
Driver: 450*
Hybrid: Nickent 2/17*
Hybrid: Nickent 4/23*
Irons: Ti-100 5-SWPutter: Craz-e

Turbo power irons are pretty solid actually. I just used a set for 2 seasons and they held up and performed great. take a chance on them, it's decent stuff

Driver: 905R w V2 stiff 76
FW: NVG2 Fujikura stiff
Hybrids: Idea Pro 20* Aldila VS Proto
Irons: M685 3-PW Rifle 5.5
Wedges: 54* VIP forged, 58* CG10Putter: Bettinardi A02Ball: ProV1, Black Max

Knock-off and clones are different then fakes.

With knock-offs and clones, you know they are not the real deal, with fakes they look and appear to be the originals and they are usually a much cheaper quality and build. I have heard of horror stories from club fitters about people who have bought fake drivers without knowing and they break on the the third or fourth hit. Sometimes when the real deal looks too good to be true, it usually is.

I have friends who swear by the knock-offs and have never ever bought an original manufacture's club. I don't personally know a single person who has ever bought a fake club.

• 3 weeks later...
i have a set of sv2 irons and sv3 driver and 3 and 5 wood. they are clones of the nike slingshot oss and the nike square driver and square woods.

i have only been playing for about 4 months and got all of them for the price you can pay for one name brand driver.

i absolutely love my clones and i'm glad that i didn't worry about having name brand clubs.

the more interesting thing to do would be to buy some clone components and build your own clubs. i think a few guys on here have done that and that seems like fun if you can get good quality components.
What's in the bag... ( Revolver)

Driver: Big Bertha Diablo 8*
3 Wood: 4DX Fairway 15*
3I-PW: X20 Tours (Rifle Project X Flighted 6.0)Wedges: CG12 Black Pearl 50* 54* SM Vokey X-Forged 58* C GrindPutter: Classic #2 66* lieBalls: Various

How do you spot a clone? Is it easy?

I have made one hole in one this far. While you are reading this, I am most likely out on the tee trying to sink another one

go to google and search "whatever name brand clones"

for instance, "nike slingshot clones"

you will find numerous websites that make clubs that are created in a similar fashion to the originals as to give you a similar feel. these club makers do not claim that they are the real thing. they just tell you which name brand that their clone is supposed to be close to.

my dad bought a set of callaway clones that he absolutely loves as well.
What's in the bag... ( Revolver)

Driver: Big Bertha Diablo 8*
3 Wood: 4DX Fairway 15*
3I-PW: X20 Tours (Rifle Project X Flighted 6.0)Wedges: CG12 Black Pearl 50* 54* SM Vokey X-Forged 58* C GrindPutter: Classic #2 66* lieBalls: Various

i absolutely love my clones and i'm glad that i didn't worry about having name brand clubs.

I've got clones too. Nice shop back home in Orange County; a friend of mine suggested it when he found out I was using Dunlops from the early 70s that I inherited from my grandfather. $200 later, I had a set of irons that a few people have told me are clones of Ping Eye-2s. I haven't ever compared them side-by-side.

I'll probably buy my next set from the same place, to go from super-game improvement to game-improvement clubs. If I find myself at low-single digit handicap or better, I might invest in top-of-the-line brand-name clubs, but not before trying the clone equivalent. It's only when buying used at RD that I end up with brand-name... I've never seen clones in the bins.

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Ok, thanks. Seems like it`s very easy to spot one. But, just to be certain:

Legit or not?

I have made one hole in one this far. While you are reading this, I am most likely out on the tee trying to sink another one

I have knock-off callway Big Bertha 06 irons. They are called Superhawk BB06. They were $120 for the set (3-LW), the only club I didn't get was the GW. They are a great set of irons, no regrets in not paying $800+ for the real deal.

Now, I do have authentic Callaway driver/woods, and authentic odyssey putter.

----
Callaway Big Bertha 454 10*
Callaway Hawkeye #2, #4
Odyssey Rossie Putter
Callaway big bertha knock-off irons

Note: This thread is 6181 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!