IGNORED

Courses around Washington DC

Note: This thread is 4486 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Coming to visit the Eastern US soon and wondering what are the best courses in the DC area? I would like to play some really good ones and would pay accordingly. So Public or Private as long as they take bona fide visitors.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Originally Posted by Chanceman

Coming to visit the Eastern US soon and wondering what are the best courses in the DC area? I would like to play some really good ones and would pay accordingly. So Public or Private as long as they take bona fide visitors.

My top picks for public would be:

• Raspberry Falls - VA
  • Augustine - VA
  • Bull Run - VA
  • Stonewall - VA
  • Worthington Manor - MD
  • Whiskey Creek - MD
  • PB Dye - MD

If you have a membership at a country club already your pro may be able to get a reciprocal agreement setup.  Although I think there is close to no chance any of the prestigous private clubs (Congo, TPC at Avenel, RTJ, etc) will agree.  You might want to look into Woodmont if you have a membership already.  Tough track.  I think they do sectional qualifying for the US Open there.

There really isn't much within the confines of the beltway.  No chance you get off on Chevy Chase or Bethesda if you are not with a member.

Driver:  Callaway Diablo Octane 9.5*
3W:  Callaway GBB II 12.5*, 5W:  Callaway Diablo 18* Neutral
3H:  Callaway Razr X, 4H:  Callaway Razr X
5-PW:  Callaway X Tour
GW:  Callaway X Tour 54*, SW:  Callaway X Tour 58*
Putter:  Callaway ITrax, Scotty Cameron Studio Design 2, Ping Anser 4

If you're staying in the District proper, you'll probably have to drive an hour to find anything worthwhile.

I don't know what private courses allow visitors, but if you could get on at Congressional, Woodmont, or Columbia, I'd jump on that opportunity.

The best I've played is Maryland National, which is at least an hour north west of the District.  I also played Renditions, which is probably almost as far.  Each hole is modeled after famous holes like 17 at TPC, Amen Corner, etc.  Its a fun course to play, but its slow and not quite as well kept as I expected.

I have not played, but have heard good things about Lake Presidential (MD), Pleasant Valley (VA), and Westfields (VA).

http://washington.cbslocal.com/top-lists/best-golf-courses-around-washington-d-c/

Ignore East Potomac, its a disgrace.

Dan

:tmade: R11s 10.5*, Adila RIP Phenom 60g Stiff
:ping: G20 3W
:callaway: Diablo 3H
:ping:
i20 4-U, KBS Tour Stiff
:vokey: Vokey SM4 54.14 
:vokey: Vokey :) 58.11

:scotty_cameron: Newport 2
:sunmountain: Four 5

Wiggle, have you ever played Bulle Rock?  Its consistently ranked #1 or #2 in public courses in MD.

Dan

i20 4-U, KBS Tour Stiff

Originally Posted by dsc123

Wiggle, have you ever played Bulle Rock?  Its consistently ranked #1 or #2 in public courses in MD.

I've played it twice.  It's a haul from DC.  Even a haul from Baltimore.  It's way up 95 in Havre de Grace (about 30 miles northeast of Baltimore).  It's a beautiful course that was designed to host a US Open or PGA.  I believe they have already had a couple LPGA and Senior events there.  It's been in immaculate shape both times I played it.  They keep the rough thick and about 3 to 4 inches long.  The shorter intermediate cut was only a yard or two wide off the fairway.  Lots of hills and uneven lies.  A couple holes that you just say WTF to.  Definitely worth the trip.  My only real gripe about it is the price.  I haven't played there in 10 years.  Back then they were charging $165.  They do have caddies though, so you can get the real pro experience.

If you're staying in the District proper, you'll probably have to drive an hour to find anything worthwhile.

I don't know what private courses allow visitors, but if you could get on at Congressional, Woodmont, or Columbia, I'd jump on that opportunity.

The best I've played is Maryland National, which is at least an hour north west of the District.  I also played Renditions, which is probably almost as far.  Each hole is modeled after famous holes like 17 at TPC, Amen Corner, etc.  Its a fun course to play, but its slow and not quite as well kept as I expected.

I have not played, but have heard good things about Lake Presidential (MD), Pleasant Valley (VA), and Westfields (VA).

http://washington.cbslocal.com/top-lists/best-golf-courses-around-washington-d-c/

Ignore East Potomac, its a disgrace.

I'm playing a tournament at MD National in 2 weeks.  Tough track?

LOL at East Potomac.  We used to play that place when I was in college.  Lose balls in the fairway all day long there.  I always had fun at Rock Creek Park though.

I've lived in the area for about 6 years now and play 30-40 rounds a year.  Coming up with a list of the best in the area made me realize how few I've experienced.  I need to add some variety.  Worthington Manor and Whiskey Creek are probably only a half hour from me.

Dan

i20 4-U, KBS Tour Stiff

I've lived in the area for about 6 years now and play 30-40 rounds a year.  Coming up with a list of the best in the area made me realize how few I've experienced.  I need to add some variety.  Worthington Manor and Whiskey Creek are probably only a half hour from me.

They are both solid and very different from each other.  Worthington Manor is pretty much a straight forward kick you right in the teeth golf course.  Tough to overpower, narrow landing areas, but fair.  Whiskey Creek is pretty tricked up.  Some good risk reward holes.  There are the ruins of an old house in the middle of the 18th fairway, stuff like that.  PB Dye to me is a little too tricked up.  The greens all seem to be domed and the layout doesn't translate well to the forward tees.

One cheaper course I always enjoyed was Little Bennett.

Laurel Hill in Lorton, Virginia is a great public course. The USGA U.S. amateur public links championship 2013 will be held there. It is rarely crowded and all the course you can handle...

Titleist 915 9.5 w/GD AD-DI shaft Callaway Big Bertha Alpha 14 degree FW wood Ping Anser hybrid 19 degree Mizuno JPX 850 Forged 4-pw or Callaway Apex Titleist Vokey SM5 50, 54, 58, (62) Edel E3 Putter ES14 launch monitor ARCCOS

Note: This thread is 4486 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!