IGNORED

New Golfer, Looking to purchase golf balls, Woods and Hybrids(possibly)

Note: This thread is 6178 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

As the title says i am a new golfer, and want to purchase some clubs. I only have a sencond hand starter set, and a really nice putter that i bought, but want to upgrade. I'm alright with my irons for now, they are graphite shafts and i have no need to upgrade with my level of play. I have already upgraded my putter to a nice one, but was wondering your guys thoughts on getting a new driver (the one i have is 250CC ) I don't know if there are any which are good for beginners without being starter bundles and such, and i'm not picky about used clubs either.

The other thing i was wondering about is hybrids. I hear all the time about how it is hard for beginners to hit long irons, and was thinking of purchasing 2 hybrids to replace my 3 and four irons. Is this something i should do?

Also i want to get some golf balls which will work for me. I went to golf galaxy and explained my situation and told me to go for some cheap top flites, but was wondering about other options

I am a teenager, i guess with a lower middle swing speed. I can hit the ball about 225 yards on average, with a bit of proper instruction i'm sure i can get it up to ~280, as every once in a while i can flush it well past the 250 yard marker, and i know i did something right, but can't really put a finger on it. The ball also travels fairly straight, so i'm not worried about that, just mainly distance.
I was thinking along the lines of Nike Juice, Callaway Warbird. Not worried about price for the balls as long as its under $25(i played 18 last weekend and didn't lose a single ball.) I was wondering if the high end balls won't do anything for a beginners game, or people just advise against it because they think you'll lose them

Sorry for the long post, but i don't have a lot of golf buddies and had to get it out. Thanks in advance

The other thing i was wondering about is hybrids. I hear all the time about how it is hard for beginners to hit long irons, and was thinking of purchasing 2 hybrids to replace my 3 and four irons. Is this something i should do?

I started playing with Maxfli hybrids and it was a good choice for me. Easy to hit and not expensive if I didn't like them.

Bag: Discovery
Driver: r7 460 Driver weighted neutral
Fairway:r7 FW 3 w/ Aldila NV 75S
Hybrid:Rescue 16 & 19
Irons:RAC OS 3-PW +1.25" Wedge:r7 SWPutter: Circa 62 #5Balls:NXT or ProV1'sTrying: Tour Model Blades

It would be a good idea to replace your 3 and 4 with hybrids. I find a cheap hybrid would be a good idea and then invest money into a driver. If money is an issue try Ebay you can find amazing stuff on there. If it is not, go to your local golf store. Try some name brand drivers out, and make a choice. What i usually do is Try some Taylormade, Cobra, Ping, Titleist, and Nike Drivers. I choose which one i like best and then i look on ebay to purchase. Good luck finding!
In My Bag

Driver: Sasquatch 460 9.5°
3 Wood: Laser 3 Wood 15°
5 Wood: r7 19° (Stiff)Irons: S58 Irons 4-PW Orange DotWedge: Harmonized 60°Wedge: Z TP 54°Putter: Tiffany 34"Balls: Pro V1 Shoes: Adidas Tour 360 IIThe Meadows Golf Coursewww.themeadowsgc.comAge: 16

Hi, I am also interested in purchasing a new club since I have been competing with amateurs and making some money lately I can actually start to play more seriously. I was good before, but I can always get better so any heads up on the clubs department is always nice! Thanks guys this forum is going to be great for golf!

It would be a good idea to replace your 3 and 4 with hybrids. I find a cheap hybrid would be a good idea and then invest money into a driver. If money is an issue try Ebay you can find amazing stuff on there. If it is not, go to your local golf store. Try some name brand drivers out, and make a choice. What i usually do is Try some Taylormade, Cobra, Ping, Titleist, and Nike Drivers. I choose which one i like best and then i look on ebay to purchase. Good luck finding!

i wouldnt try a Titleist driver if i was soewhat new to the the game they're more of a ball strikers club. they are pretty bad on mis hits

Driver: 10.5* SuperQuad TP 1st Edition All Black V2 Stiff
5 Wood - 585.h 19* DG S300
Irons: 3-PW S59 Stiff
Wedges: Rac TP 52*, 60* MP-T 56*
Putter(s): Anser 3 TP Black ballGET TO SINGLE DIGITS!Goal: Beat a certain admin that lives in my town

i wouldnt try a Titleist driver if i was soewhat new to the the game they're more of a ball strikers club. they are pretty bad on mis hits

Agreed, but i was just throwing out some name brands that he could try. The most known and popular drivers.
In My Bag

Driver: Sasquatch 460 9.5°
3 Wood: Laser 3 Wood 15°
5 Wood: r7 19° (Stiff)Irons: S58 Irons 4-PW Orange DotWedge: Harmonized 60°Wedge: Z TP 54°Putter: Tiffany 34"Balls: Pro V1 Shoes: Adidas Tour 360 IIThe Meadows Golf Coursewww.themeadowsgc.comAge: 16

No. Everyone seems to like and be able to hit hybrids, but whenever I try one, I rack up a big score and my long game suffers. Nothing is more satisfying that a 3 iron struck perfectly down the middle, 230+ yards. Irons are better out of the rough because of the sharper leading edge (as opposed to hybrids and fairway woods).

In fact, the only reason why I don't have a 1 and 2 iron is because I can't find them for my club set.
"Shouldn't you be going faster? I mean, you're doing 40 in a 65..."

Driver: Burner TP 9.5*
3 Wood: 906F2 15*
2I: Eye 23I-PW: 3100 I/HWedges: Vokey Spin-Milled 56*06, MP-R 52*07/60*05Putter: Victoria IIBall: Pro V1xCheck out my new blog: Thousand Yard DriveHome Course: Kenton County...

start by going on ebay and finding golf clubs two or three years older than the new ones tthis year they will be decent and low cost
Tiger im comin for you!

Driver:Launcher 460 10*5
Woods: launcher comp 19*
Hybrids: don't lnow yet but its cominIrons: X18Wedges: old square groover 60* and CG10 56*Putter: Circa 62 #3Ball: Bridge StoneMy home course http://www.springfieldcc.org

I started playing last summer and have found that hybrids are amazingly easy to hit. My instructor who's a former pro suggested I try them out, and they've really helped my game get going. Eventually, I'd like to get better with the longer irons, but I think they can instill some confidence when you're playing with more experienced players. Personally, I love the Nike CPR3 Woods... they're a little older and can be found pretty cheap now. But, it's all about just trying out some clubs and seeing what you like!

My Bag

Hybrids: nike.gif VR_S 17º, CPR3 18º, 22º, 26º, 30º R Graphite

Irons: nike.gif Slingshot 6I-PW R Steel

Wedges: nike.gif SV 52º/10, 56º/14

Putter: taylormade.gif Rossa Monza Corsa 34"

Ball: nike.gif One RZN-X

Note: This thread is 6178 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!