IGNORED

The UFC/MMA/Etc. Thread

Kapanda
Note: This thread is 3194 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Originally Posted by newtogolf

Evans has heavier hands at 205 than anyone Silva has faced but I'm not sure he would at 185.  Losing 20lbs as a fighter is tough unless you do it over a long period of time since most crash diet weight loss consists of water and muscle.

Some fighters have done well dropping weight classes but most look drawn and lose a significant amount of strength as the result of such a cut.   I remember when Diego Sanchez made the cut to welterweight and how bad he looked in his first fight at that weight class.

If Evans drops to 185 I'd suggest he have at least 2 fights before trying to fight Silva as his body will need the time to adjust to the new weight.

It's tough unless the fighter does it correctly. All of these guys use dehydration to lose the majority of the weight.  Some diet for weeks in advance, but not much (just the natural fatties like BJ).  Sonnen for instance cut 20lbs in 24 hours for the Silva fight.   It's mostly water weight, muscle doesn't come into the equation much.  You lose your muscle when you go on a calorie restricted diet and the body uses the muscle for fuel.

I disagree here too. I would say that MOST fighters today cut weight and you never notice it.  You just notice the few that are not doing it correctly. Thiago Alves comes to mind....but he does it better now that he is with Dolce who knows what he is doing.

No way Evans drops to 185 for 2 tune up fights.  He won't drop unless the title is on the line. Rashad would do fine with a weight cut.  A lot of Rashad's KO power comes from technique and speed.  Strength helps but doesn't weigh more than the technique of the punch.

Originally Posted by newtogolf

Dana takes it personally when fighters refuse to fight due to being from the same camp or out of friendship.  The more they say they won't fight each other the more effort he places to make sure they do.  If you remember Dana was the one that caused the initial rift between JBJ and Evans because he kept forcing the issue and getting people to ask them if they'd fight each other.

And yet he still hasn't got Fitch and Kos to fight.  He can't MAKE these guys fight.  He can make it suck for them if they don't, but if they don't want to fight, there is nothing he can do.  Tito ducked Liddel for years!  Kos and Fitch won't fight. Machida and Silva won't fight, etc, etc....   Dana talks a big game, but he can't do anything about it.

Bryan A
"Your desire to change must be greater than your desire to stay the same"

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Originally Posted by TN94z

I actually think that Anderson hurt Sonnen right after the short grabbing in the second.  He caught Sonnen with a couple of good shots and I think it had Sonnen rocked a bit and that made him panic with the spinning back fist.

If you watch it again, look at how early Silva was ducking the spinning back fist.  That's why I say it was REALLY telegraphed.  Silva saw that coming a mile away.

I like Sonnen too. I hope he doesn't quit. The WWE is after him now though.....and after some comments Sonnen has made after the fight, I wouldn't be surprised if we see him leave the UFC for the WWE

i watched the fight again, and silva connected on a couple of hard shots after the break against the cage - no doubt that lead to sonnen panicking and throwing that spinning elbow/back fist.

i'd love to see sonnen keep fighting; he's one of the only guys who brings it every time he fights.  i wouldn't blame him if he jumped ship to WWE - he would stand to make a lot more $ if he did.  his disclosed purse reported to the commission was only $50,000 for 148, however, i'm almost certain he had to earn over 7 figures with ppv and locker room bonuses.

Originally Posted by clubchamp

I'd agree he's cleaned out the MW division but I think Munoz COULD give him some trouble because he's arguably a better wrestler than Chael. Lombard intrigues me because he has some great judo which would come in handy but if they can't get Anderson down it won't matter. I'd like to see Evans drop to MW but unless Dana fast tracks that fight Silva may be retired before that fight ever happens.

i'd be interested in seeing evans drop to fight silva next vs anyone else at 185.

ScreenHunter_25 Jul. 10 09.35.jpg

After this fight and hearing all of Sonnen's post fight comments, I have a great deal of respect for him. I liked him before, but he has really handled all of this very professionally.

I read an article this morning where Kizer of the NSAC was going to fine Silva for the shoulder bump at the weigh ins. Had it not been for Sonnen asking him not to fine Silva, Anderson would have been paying up. Kizer did tell Silva that if he ever does anything like that again, he will never fight in Nevada again.

Also, this is a quote from Dana himself:

Quote:
“Chael Sonnen, motivated, in great shape, injury free, couldn’t have been better, and wanted that title so bad. Goes in that first round, look at the way that happened, and this is what Chael Sonnen said to me after the fight, he didn’t say it at the press conference, but he said it to me,” White revealed.

“He said ‘I have so much respect for this guy, Dana. I’ve been competing in combat sports since I was 7-years old and in that first round when I was on top of him and I was hitting him with those big elbows, I felt him break. I broke him in that first round. He came back in the second round, and destroyed me’. He said ‘I’ve never seen anybody do that, ever.”

I haven't seen Sonnen say anything other than how much respect he has for Anderson now and how great of a fighter he is. It's like a total 180. I mean, I understand Sonnen was mainly just hyping the fight with a lot of those comments, but to spit that much trash talk and then take the loss like that....it takes a man to eat those words and not make excuses.

And here are Sonnen's comments on the shorts grab:

Quote:
"Yeah, Anderson grabbed my trunks but I grabbed his right back. It goes both ways. We can't sit and nit pick some of that stuff. It's a two man sport. It's kind of like moving the chains in football, it evens itself out. What goes around comes around. Anderson grabbed my shorts tonight, I'll grab someone else's shorts down the road."

And the knee:

Quote:
"You know, I don't make those decisions and I hate those rules anyway. You know, I'm an old school guy before we had rounds and weight classes and all that stuff. We're in a lot better spot now, I don't propose we should go back to that but I don't care about legal or illegal. I could see him, I could see it coming. That's just the way it goes."

Just no excuses anywhere!!

Bryan A

Quote:
Originally Posted by TN94z View Post

After this fight and hearing all of Sonnen's post fight comments, I have a great deal of respect for him. I liked him before, but he has really handled all of this very professionally.

I read an article this morning where Kizer of the NSAC was going to fine Silva for the shoulder bump at the weigh ins. Had it not been for Sonnen asking him not to fine Silva, Anderson would have been paying up. Kizer did tell Silva that if he ever does anything like that again, he will never fight in Nevada again.

Also, this is a quote from Dana himself:

Quote:
“Chael Sonnen, motivated, in great shape, injury free, couldn’t have been better, and wanted that title so bad. Goes in that first round, look at the way that happened, and this is what Chael Sonnen said to me after the fight, he didn’t say it at the press conference, but he said it to me,” White revealed.

“He said ‘I have so much respect for this guy, Dana. I’ve been competing in combat sports since I was 7-years old and in that first round when I was on top of him and I was hitting him with those big elbows, I felt him break. I broke him in that first round. He came back in the second round, and destroyed me’. He said ‘I’ve never seen anybody do that, ever.”

I haven't seen Sonnen say anything other than how much respect he has for Anderson now and how great of a fighter he is. It's like a total 180. I mean, I understand Sonnen was mainly just hyping the fight with a lot of those comments, but to spit that much trash talk and then take the loss like that....it takes a man to eat those words and not make excuses.

And here are Sonnen's comments on the shorts grab:

Quote:
"Yeah, Anderson grabbed my trunks but I grabbed his right back. It goes both ways. We can't sit and nit pick some of that stuff. It's a two man sport. It's kind of like moving the chains in football, it evens itself out. What goes around comes around. Anderson grabbed my shorts tonight, I'll grab someone else's shorts down the road."

And the knee:

Quote:
"You know, I don't make those decisions and I hate those rules anyway. You know, I'm an old school guy before we had rounds and weight classes and all that stuff. We're in a lot better spot now, I don't propose we should go back to that but I don't care about legal or illegal. I could see him, I could see it coming. That's just the way it goes."

Just no excuses anywhere!!

here is the article by helwani on mmafighting.com:

http://www.mmafighting.com/2012/7/9/3148053/nsacs-keith-kizer-wont-mind-if-future-anderson-silva-fights-wont#3532284

Quote:
Kizer was so disappointed in Silva's actions overall that he added that, "if the next few Anderson Silva fights don't happen in Nevada, it won't bother me in the least."

i've read on other forums where people say that sonnen is only humble in defeat, and that if he had won, he'd be talking even more sh@!.  i don't buy it.

I agree with you.  Sonnen has really handled himself with class after this fight.  It really is something to admire because he could stir up some controversy especially since he is so gifted at speaking.  When he talks people listen, he would gain an enormous amount of support by complaining, saying Silva cheated and has chosen not to do so.

Originally Posted by BEAN

I agree with you.  Sonnen has really handled himself with class after this fight.  It really is something to admire because he could stir up some controversy especially since he is so gifted at speaking.  When he talks people listen, he would gain an enormous amount of support by complaining, saying Silva cheated and has chosen not to do so.

Well, his coach is going to appeal the decision because of the knee I believe.

Bryan A

Looks like this fight will never happen,  add it to the list

Jon Jones on 710 ESPN Radio -

Beto Duran - "Why wont he fight you?"

Jon Jones - "To be dead honest, we both have a lot to lose... I don't want to crap on his greatness, I dont him crapping on my greatness..."

"We both have sponsorship deals that are really important to us... and a big part of that is being a winner, being a Champion, and having us fight each other, someone's Championship is going away...

"I respect Anderson so much, I don't want to be the guy to beat him... I don't want to lost to him either.

Looks like this fight will never happen,  add it to the list

Jon Jones on 710 ESPN Radio -

Beto Duran - "Why wont he fight you?"

Jon Jones - "To be dead honest, we both have a lot to lose... I don't want to crap on his greatness, I dont him crapping on my greatness..."

"We both have sponsorship deals that are really important to us... and a big part of that is being a winner, being a Champion, and having us fight each other, someone's Championship is going away...

"I respect Anderson so much, I don't want to be the guy to beat him... I don't want to lost to him either.

This is why I can't stand Jon Jones in no way does that sound like a fighter to me especially the line about sponsorships. If you want to keep your sponsorships you have to win and you don't want to be the guy to beat him? Someone will beat Silva and be known forever as the guy that dethroned Silva so you prefer it to be someone else? I don't even want to see these guys fight yet because I'd like to see Munoz get his chance with Silva and with A LOT of luck Hendo might get a fist on Jones.

Driver: i15, 3 wood: G10, Hybrid: Nickent 4dx, Irons: Ping s57, Wedges: Mizuno MPT 52, 56, 60, Putter: XG #9 

Originally Posted by clubchamp

This is why I can't stand Jon Jones in no way does that sound like a fighter to me especially the line about sponsorships. If you want to keep your sponsorships you have to win and you don't want to be the guy to beat him? Someone will beat Silva and be known forever as the guy that dethroned Silva so you prefer it to be someone else? I don't even want to see these guys fight yet because I'd like to see Munoz get his chance with Silva and with A LOT of luck Hendo might get a fist on Jones.

jbj is a d-bag.  i can't wait until someone knocks him tfo.  machida exposed his immature stand up prior to getting grapple f'd, and i'd love to see hendo find an opening and bisping his ass.

can't wait for the fight tomorrow.  weidman is a stud, and the betting favorite in vegas @ -145.  if munoz wins, he's gotta get a shot at the strap i'd imagine.  should be a good one.

Originally Posted by Infamous 273

jbj is a d-bag.  i can't wait until someone knocks him tfo.  machida exposed his immature stand up prior to getting grapple f'd, and i'd love to see hendo find an opening and bisping his ass.

can't wait for the fight tomorrow.  weidman is a stud, and the betting favorite in vegas @ -145.  if munoz wins, he's gotta get a shot at the strap i'd imagine.  should be a good one.

I looking forward to this fight more than some of the upcoming PPV's and I'd agree Munoz should be next IF he wins. I have a suspicion that Dana might wait to see what Lombard does in his fight before he gives Munoz the shot.

Driver: i15, 3 wood: G10, Hybrid: Nickent 4dx, Irons: Ping s57, Wedges: Mizuno MPT 52, 56, 60, Putter: XG #9 

I agree with everyone about Jones.  If he wants to be the best ever like he claims he should jump at the opportunity. HeI  even said he would fight Rashad (when they were teammates!) he should have no problem saying he would take a fight with Anderson.

I really do not understand him at all.  I hope Hendo can catch him one time and bring him back to earth.

Lombard  gets the next title shot with a win I imagine.  I still think Dana will try to set up a Bisping Anderson fight the first real chance he gets it will make the most money.

Plus Anderson has no trouble fighting Bisping he knows he would destroy him.  Soares has been trying to say Bisping is in line for title shot forever.

wow.  what a performance by weidman.  to the untrained eye, it seemed as if munoz had no wrestling background whatsoever - he was thoroughly dominated on the mat.  i would have liked to see rosenthal stop it sooner, but what are ya gonna do?  weidman is a beast, and is here to stay at 185.

Weidman is really good, he almost beat Andre Galvao after one year of training at the ADCC championships, but I read that Munoz started his training camp at like 240 and had to spend most of the camp dieting, and it showed.

Originally Posted by pholmes

Weidman is really good, he almost beat Andre Galvao after one year of training at the ADCC championships, but I read that Munoz started his training camp at like 240 and had to spend most of the camp dieting, and it showed.

i bet his injury that made him pull out of the sonnen fight helped add the extra lbs.  still, weidman was clearly on another level - he destroyed maia on only 11 days notice; the guys hybrid wrestling/striking is top notch.

Originally Posted by Kapanda

out of curiosity, where do you guys get your mma news fix? I religiously go to bleacher report every day

mmafighting.com

mmajunkie.com

sherdog.com

I agree with everyone about Jones.  If he wants to be the best ever like he claims he should jump at the opportunity. HeI  even said he would fight Rashad (when they were teammates!) he should have no problem saying he would take a fight with Anderson.

I really do not understand him at all.  I hope Hendo can catch him one time and bring him back to earth.

Lombard  gets the next title shot with a win I imagine.  I still think Dana will try to set up a Bisping Anderson fight the first real chance he gets it will make the most money.

Jones is scared of a loss to Anderson....plain and simple.  Hendo can beat him...and I think he will.

I almost think after last night, Weidman will get a fight with Lombard (if he wins).  Bisping will probably fight Stann next and I don't know that he will win that fight.  To be honest, I would rather see Weidman get it.  The kid is a beast and has a great attitude.  This is if Lombard doesn't just walk through his next fight.  I just don't like Bisping that much.  I don't think he is that good.  Anderson completely destroys Bisping.  A fighter will HAVE to have really good wrestling to have any chance at Silva.  I can Weidman giving Silva problems.  He is MUCH more aggressive on the ground than Sonnen.  IMO, Weidman is the #1 contender.

Originally Posted by Infamous 273

wow.  what a performance by weidman.  to the untrained eye, it seemed as if munoz had no wrestling background whatsoever - he was thoroughly dominated on the mat.  i would have liked to see rosenthal stop it sooner, but what are ya gonna do?  weidman is a beast, and is here to stay at 185.

He's a beast man. The ref did a terrible job.  He allowed Munoz to take way too much damage.  I mean come on, Munoz was really out after the elbow.

Originally Posted by pholmes

I don't think it showed at all.  He never gassed even after all the grappling.  That's just Munoz.  He fought a better fighter.  Munoz has always had holes.  He is just usually the one with the better wrestling.  The dieting had nothing to do with it IMO.  He just isn't as good as Weidman.

Originally Posted by Kapanda

out of curiosity, where do you guys get your mma news fix? I religiously go to bleacher report every day

I get mine from mmanews.com.  It's about the only site I go to.  I have read too much stuff that ends up being not true from Sherdog in the past.

Bryan A

Note: This thread is 3194 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!