IGNORED

My Swing (nevrino)

nevrino
Note: This thread is 4253 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Originally Posted by nevrino

Decided i'm going to work my way from P2-P4, it's only 3 positions with no power involved so shouldn't be so hard to nail, and obviously my backswing is a bit uncontrolled atm. These won't be in a real swing until i'm done.

Okay so starting with p2, any comments about this is greatly appriciated as I find it pretty hard to find reliable information. Okay so the swingthoughts from P1 to P2 is.

arm and shoulder work together and keeping that triangle.

from backview the hands should end up about where my toes are.

Questions from P1-P2:

Should the right arm bend a little more?

According to the black line should my hands be more out or in?

According to the white line should my hand be higher or lower?

Is my shoulder plane to steep or flat?

Looks like your are disconnecting your right arm (tricep) from your side too early to me.  I'd try and keep that right elbow connected to your side longer - at least until P3++...

Use this sequence for reference...

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Originally Posted by Beachcomber

Looks like your are disconnecting your right arm (tricep) from your side too early to me.  I'd try and keep that right elbow connected to your side longer - at least until P3++...

Use this sequence for reference...

Been looking for a reference and this one I really like. Who is that and is there a frontview of him aswell?

I see what you mean with the right elbow, but does it have to have a small flex to be connected at p2?

Been looking for a reference and this one I really like. Who is that and is there a frontview of him as well?

I see what you mean with the right elbow, but does it have to have a small flex to be connected at p2?

1.) Grant Waite.  His ball striking is off the charts good.  If you can get your swing to look like his - you'll be a happy golfer.

2.) Front view?  I can make one.  I made the DTL for my own reference just by taking screen shots from a Youtube video.  I'll make one using the Caddy view and post it here.

3.) Yes.

1.) Grant Waite.  His ball striking is off the charts good.  If you can get your swing to look like his - you'll be a happy golfer.

2.) Front view?  I can make one.  I made the DTL for my own reference just by taking screen shots from a Youtube video.  I'll make one using the Caddy view and post it here.

3.) Yes.

Took a backview of my swing(hitting a leaf) since I read the thread of beachcomber. I don't really know how to see things from here. Maybe someone can give me some tips.

Me

Grant waite

Took a backview of my swing(hitting a leaf) since I read the thread of beachcomber. I don't really know how to see things from here. Maybe someone can give me some tips.

Me

Grant waite

Looks pretty damn solid to me.  Now I'd like to see you make that move with a golf ball - and take a nice divot after impact.

Looks pretty damn solid to me.  Now I'd like to see you make that move with a golf ball - and take a nice divot after impact.

Thanks, makes me happy, it was a full swing but since I have a doppler radar to measure swing speed I know I drop around 10-15 mph if I don't hit a golfball so problably some issues will display when on the range tomorrow, we'll see.

Here we go

Front(almost) view:

Caddy view:

Down the line:

Backview:

I like some things in my swing, but I know i'm doing something very wrong because my dtl looks awful. Gimme some criticism now!

• Administrator

I like some things in my swing, but I know i'm doing something very wrong because my dtl looks awful. Gimme some criticism now!

You have a better swing than many 4 handicappers.

If you want criticism, uhhh.... your shirt is kinda ugly? Is that good?

P.S. Seriously though, grip is too strong and the face gets shut on the whole downswing.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

I have to agree with Erik... Your swing looks much better than a 12 HDCP.  You need to work on your short game (putting, chipping, pitching) - because with that swing you should be minimally shooting low 80's IMO... Which puts you in the 6 to 8 range for a handicap.  So you really could be half the handicap you have posted (if not lower).

Here is what I would recommend...

1.) Start tracking your stats using any number of methods - conventional scorecard, or use an iOS or Android app.  I use Golfshot and it gives me stats like below.  Very quick and easy to key in the results from each and every hole.  Then you know where your deficiencies remain.

Once you have your stats, then you can dial into your weakest link.

My GIR last year at this time was ~ 40%.  And with all the swing changes I've been working on, I've been able to improve.  I've been trying to get my GIR up to 55%+ on average (currently at 50.6%), and lower my Par 3 scoring average to a number closer to where I'm at with Par 4 and 5's (x.3)... Currently I'm at 3.5 for Par 3's.  And while I'm getting closer - I still have room for improvement.

I believe once I implement the next set of swing changes - I'll hit those metrics pretty easily as my ball striking consistency should improve.

But I know I have more work to do around the greens.  Only getting up and down 36.7% of the time is a glaring issue.  But it isn't as much as my chipping / pitching... It really is my putting.  Pressure putts - for birdies and par savers is where I struggle.  I need to spend more time on the green putting.

Enough about my game... My point is that you have a solid swing - a foundation to play some great golf.  Why your handicap is a 12+ is alarming.

2.) If you really want to split hairs on your golf swing...  It looks like your swing plane on the backswing is too flat.  Which causes you to swing on more of a horizontal arc around your body (too much so).  I believe your plane should be a little more vertical.  And believe if you work on getting the shaft more vertical at A3 - it should help - as on the downswing - your closure rate is high.  Meaning you aren't keeping the club down the plane line for very long.

This Foley video helped me understand how to set the left wrist hinge at A3 - and get the shaft vertical.

Remember - stay connected with the backswing... If you stay connected - and set that left wrist properly - the shaft will get more on a vertical plane than you currently have.

3.) On your DTL video - the camera is too close.  You need to move the camera back another ~ 8f or more.  Other than that... Looks really nice nevrino!  I hope I can nail your pivot like you have.

• Upvote 1

Originally Posted by iacas

You have a better swing than many 4 handicappers.

If you want criticism, uhhh.... your shirt is kinda ugly? Is that good?

P.S. Seriously though, grip is too strong and the face gets shut on the whole downswing.

Hahah apparently I have bad taste since I bought that shirt last week .

I noticed my grip instantly when I watched the films. I seriously don't know how many times I've changed my grip but after a while when I've stopped thinking about it, it always go super strong especially with right hand, gonna correct it for good now.

About shutting the face is this a side effect of the strong grip or a different issue?

@Beachcomber, really nice input there. Gonna read it over and over again until I fully understand it =). About A3 that's kinda what I was suspecting after viewing the frontview, it's to flat and looks a little off, but i'm going to fix it, my next little project.

About my handicap, it's not low yet and there's many of reasons. The biggest reason I would say is that I play too little, like 10-15 rounds this year.. Another reason is my putting, I don't have length control, sometimes 15 feet+ puttshots dont even get closer to the hole rofl :d.

Edit: I liked the way you used the like dislike buttons in youtube lol

• Upvote 1

• Administrator

About shutting the face is this a side effect of the strong grip or a different issue?

Fix the grip and see how the face changes. It's really pretty shut considering how flat the shaft is. I expect that it might even steepen the shaft because it can change the loading patterns of the hands and wrists and forearms, but at the very least, it should help the face.

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

nevrino, I think your right wrist is hinging too much - and your left forearm/wrist is rotating too much.

Many instructors say to treat your right wrist like it is holding a tray (you're the waiter)... But you for - you may want to think of it more like you're taking an oath?  Watch Lynn Blake in this video... He touches on the right wrist hinge.  And I think that you may have too much - which is what is laying that club down (horizontally) - and preventing it from getting vertical.  Keep the right elbow inline with your right shoulder.  Again, Lynn touches on this in this video and it should really clear up the issue your finding with the flat swing plane... And get your more vertical.

• Upvote 1

my new swing thought : "I promise to tell the truth the whole truth and nothing but the truth". Actually my swing has never looked so beautiful infront of a mirror,  with that swingthought in mind. Now I just gotta film it to see if it's really where I want it be.

• Administrator

nevrino, I think your right wrist is hinging too much - and your left forearm/wrist is rotating too much.

I think it's fine for now. With a strong grip people NEED to roll the left arm a lot. It's one way to try to open the face.

Fix the grip and see how things change.

Yay my swing looks way better, you deserve a thumbs up beachcomber =). Ball striking was however a bit worse than usual with some fat shots, I think I need to practise this a lot and get used to it before I get my consistancy back.

Didn't wanna put up the film because light and camera position wasn't very good.

@Iacas, thanks for the tips with the grip, I watched some youtube movies yesterday and changed it today aswell. It's hard to see but I think it's a lot better now and might be responsible for the good changes in the backswing aswell.

Note: This thread is 4253 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!