IGNORED

New, with a few questions

Fore Left
Note: This thread is 4471 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I'm one of those  "Was good at one point,  but make too many mistakes to score well now"  type of players....     I started playing less and less because of things going on  (College etc)  and ultimately after college I played sporadically and in leagues etc, until finally hanging up the towel for 2 full seasons,  and then picking up the sticks at the end of the following season,  so basically I took 3 years off,  and now this season it's even more evident that I've been away from the game!

In my hey-day  I was a single-digit handicapper,  and now,  since I'm hitting good shots,  but far too inconsistently,  I find myself REALLY struggling to put together scores.

I'm not big on switching up equipment  (ordered my first new pair of shoes today,  and I had the previous pair for 17 years.... yep,  you read that correctly...   they came with metal spikes,  and I loved them,  so I had a cobbler re-size them once,  and to this day I wouldn't say they are  "worn out"  )

I don't carry any fairway woods/rescue clubs.    My clubs are the main point of concern I have right now,  because I think they're costing me strokes since my game has fallen off so badly   (and I've lost distance so I can't hit my 3 iron as far as I once did)

My equipment:

Great Big Bertha,   8 degree driver with an extra-stiff shaft w/ stiff tip.   (oversized grip,  as I have arthritis, and I actually prefer the feel)

Titleist  990B irons    I guess they're considered a "Blade"  style,  although they're not true blades like others I've seen,  but I know they're less forgiving than cavity backs.

Scotty Cameron pro-platinum putter   (A putter is a putter in my opinion.... all personal preference....  It's certainly an area of my game that requires constant work)

I just spent way too much money on shoes otherwise I was considering buying a used fairway wood and just  "figuring it out"   but I've never been very accurate or consistent with one.

On a recent round,  a friend,  who is a very high handicapper,  was hitting a newer driver   (they're all newer compared to mine)  and other than the times he would top it, or really push/pull it,   he was driving as far as me  (and I have a fairly high swing speed,  which is why I went to an 8 degree to begin with)  and a lot of times he was out-driving me by a pretty good amount.    I look at the new  "Tin can on a stick"  drivers out there,  and I'm thinking I need to be less of an angry codger and make the technological leap,  but just don't know where to begin....  I can't tell anything from hitting into a screen with a "simulator"  and even if I find a place to hit actual balls into a range etc,  I'd hate to make a purchase based on one outing, and I certainly don't think I need the "latest"  at this point,  since I'm 15 years behind the technology as it is,  so a used club would be great,  but finding something with an 8 or 8.5 degree loft,  and a firm enough flex shaft seems impossible to me..... where do I look?

I also realize from reading here,  that I should abandon plucking down the money on the Pro-V-1's until I improve,  but no other ball has that "feel"  off of the face of the club as those  (and I prefer the non-* ones too....  not sure what's the difference though)

Too much rambling....  I'll keep reading.

Which clubs are you losing the most strokes with? If I were looking to go to the newer technology, I would just sit down and figure out which clubs were costing me the most strokes and start there.  I don't know that I would start with the driver necessarily, but that is just me.

Bryan A
"Your desire to change must be greater than your desire to stay the same"

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Originally Posted by TN94z

Which clubs are you losing the most strokes with? If I were looking to go to the newer technology, I would just sit down and figure out which clubs were costing me the most strokes and start there.  I don't know that I would start with the driver necessarily, but that is just me.

I think it's mostly an inconsistency issue with pretty much all of them.   If playing golf is like riding a bike,  it's safe to say I'm  "Shaky" right now.

A couple of good shots,  and I three putt

A great drive,  and I pull the hell out of an iron,  or blade/hit fat the short pitch/approach/whatever.

My sand game is all over the place....

I can't seem to hit the same subtle draw with my irons that I once had,  and my driver has a slight fade even when I hit it as well as I can these days   (I had a nice slight draw, 'raising' trajectory with my driver before)

I hit all of my irons 10 yards shorter than I did when I played much more often,  but I'm hoping the distance comes back when I hit the ball more consistently.

You might want to consider a new driver... the new ones offer so much more forgiveness and it'll be easier to score from the fairway (or close to it) than not. If you were a single digit, the swing should come back around with some practice and I think you'll see the iron play improve. If you have problems with fairway woods you might want to consider a low lofted hybrid.

Tristan Hilton

My Equipment: 
PXG 0211 Driver (Diamana S+ 60; 10.5°) · PXG 0211 FWs (Diamana S+ 60; 15° and 21°) · PXG 0211 Hybrids (MMT 80; 22°, 25°, and 28°) · PXG 0311P Gen 2 Irons (SteelFiber i95; 7-PW) · Edel Wedges (KBS Hi-Rev; 50°, 55°, 60°) · Edel Classic Blade Putter (32") · Vice Pro or Maxfli Tour · Pinned Prism Rangefinder · Star Grips · Flightscope Mevo · TRUE Linkswear Shoes · Sun Mountain C130S Bag

On my MacBook Pro:
Analyzr Pro

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Originally Posted by tristanhilton85

You might want to consider a new driver... the new ones offer so much more forgiveness and it'll be easier to score from the fairway (or close to it) than not.

Checking out Ebay,  I see that used driver prices are all over the place...   I've had my current driver "forever"  and the one before that was a Big Bertha Steelhead,  and I had a a Callaway prior to that...  I've always liked the feel of them.

With that said,  is the Diablo Octane considered anything 'worthwhile' by most?   I see the used prices on them are very good.   I likely wouldn't buy anything from Ebay,  but I can keep my eye out at the local golf-shops for one I suppose.

Also,  I'd like a good shaft,  so I will probably keep my eye out for one with a nice shaft also,  but I don't know what the used club market looks like these days.

Note: This thread is 4471 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!